• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there anything left...?(speculation)
5 5

95 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Here's the best way to cash in on overlooked comics:

1. Hoard a cheap book containing the first appearance of an obscure character no one cares about

2. Become a top comics writer or artist and insist on including that obscure character prominently in your work.

3. Sell.

I think we're on to something with this one :idea:

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Here's the best way to cash in on overlooked comics:

1. Hoard a cheap book containing the first appearance of an obscure character no one cares about

2. Become a top comics writer or artist and insist on including that obscure character prominently in your work.

3. Sell.

You forgot

4. PROFIT.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, Dogsupreme said:

There are still some undiscovered gems out there. The key is to collect what you like. Here are few suggestions:

Marvel:

Paladin, Jack of Hearts, White Tiger, Rawhide Kid, Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos, Spiderwoman, Deathlok, Killraven, Ka-Zar, Black Knight, Hercules, Alpha Flight, Power Pack, Black Cat, Silver Sable, Man-Wolf, Stan Lee,  to name just a few

DC:

Ragman, Amethyst Princess of Gem World, Night Force, Captain Carrot, the Outsiders, Infinity Inc,. Omega Men, Secret Six, Manhunter, Madam Xanadu, Patchwork Man, Black Orchid, Prez, aforementioned Creeper, Shade the changing man, etc.

Lots of interesting potential with lots of them still very cheap.

I believe Amethyst, Princess of Gem World would be an instant hit with the young girls.  Possibly as popular

as Sailor Moon.

Right now many late bronze Uncanny X-men keys can be found for a good deal. look at what happened when the hint of a Kitty Pryde film started recently. X-men 129 practically doubled in 9.8 and tripled raw.  This was an already popular book given it's also Emma Frosts first appearance.  these examples could be called copper but first few fall right in the end of bronze age.

X-men 160 1st appearance of Magik still a few bucks per, amazing story and art

166 1st Lockheed

168 1st Madelyn Prior

169 1st Morlocks, Callisto

184 1st Forge

201 I still find these in dollar bins at Eides and New Dimension

205, 207,

210-213  -mutant massacre,marauders, Sabertooth Vs X-men classic!

221,222 1st Sinister Sabertooth Marauders vs X-men 

I suppose the ship has sailed on a few of these such as 221 but I'm surprised how I can still find these in VF+ from time to time in $5-10 bins.

However the true Gold is in anything Hope Summers right now for quick flips, as we've already seen Cable with the baby gear (teddy,bottle)

X-men 205 1st Hope Summers

New X-men 128  1st Fantomex

of course this a bronze thread so..

Fantastic Four #211 1st Terrax.. this guy used to be way more relavent in the 80's and early 90's being a herald and all.. I could see him being a mainstay venom like anti hero once the FF get rebooted, Terrax is a good way to bridge MCU. much cooler character than Korvac or the countless space 'gods'.

Whats great about the list I made is that the stories are actually good. Investments worth reading..

15 hours ago, sonicyouth1 said:

Right now many late bronze Uncanny X-men keys can be found for a good deal. look at what happened when the hint of a Kitty Pryde film started recently. X-men 129 practically doubled in 9.8 and tripled raw.  This was an already popular book given it's also Emma Frosts first appearance.  these examples could be called copper but first few fall right in the end of bronze age.

166 1st Lockheed

168 1st Madelyn Prior

169 1st Morlocks, Callisto

184 1st Forge

201 I still find these in dollar bins at Eides and New Dimension

205, 207,

210-213  -mutant massacre,marauders, Sabertooth Vs X-men classic!

221,222 1st Sinister Sabertooth Marauders vs X-men 

I suppose the ship has sailed on a few of these such as 221 but I'm surprised how I can still find these in VF+ from time to time in $5-10 bins.

However the true Gold is in anything Hope Summers right now for quick flips, as we've already seen Cable with the baby gear (teddy,bottle)

X-men 205 1st Hope Summers

New X-men 128  1st Fantomex

of course this a bronze thread so..

Fantastic Four #211 1st Terrax.. this guy used to be way more relavent in the 80's and early 90's being a herald and all.. I could see him being a mainstay venom like anti hero once the FF get rebooted, Terrax is a good way to bridge MCU. much cooler character than Korvac or the countless space 'gods'.

Whats great about the list I made is that the stories are actually good. Investments worth reading..

Dazzler has been going up as well , which stinks for me as I’m trying to complete the full Claremont run and it’s one of the 7-8 I’m missing ...

18 hours ago, sonicyouth1 said:

Depending on how Magik is developed for the New Mutants movie, the Magik mini-series could be a good pick-up.

26 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Let's clarify that a little. 160 is the fiirst adult Illyana Rasputin. New Mutants 14 is the first appearance of Magik.

Why is New Mutants #14 (4/14/84) considered her first appearance when Magik #1-4 was published between 12/10/83 - 3/10/84. The whole mini series was wrapped up before New Mutants #14 came out.

26 minutes ago, boomtown said:

Why is New Mutants #14 (4/14/84) considered her first appearance when Magik #1-4 was published between 12/10/83 - 3/10/84. The whole mini series was wrapped up before New Mutants #14 came out.

It was indeed, but she was still just Illyana, not the Magik character (although it was called Magik). She basically has three first appearances. GSX 1 as a character, UXM as an adult character, and NM14 as the superhero called Magik. 

14 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

It was indeed, but she was still just Illyana, not the Magik character (although it was called Magik). She basically has three first appearances. GSX 1 as a character, UXM as an adult character, and NM14 as the superhero called Magik. 

I just looked through New Mutants #14 and couldn't find her called "Magik" once.  Everyone refers to her by "Illyana", even the writer never uses the term "Magik" when referring to her.  I know it's become popular to call New Mutants #14 her first appearance, but it really makes no sense.  If you have read the book and know where she is called "Magik", please let me know what panel it is, because I must have missed it.

10 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Dazzler has been going up as well , which stinks for me as I’m trying to complete the full Claremont run and it’s one of the 7-8 I’m missing ...

Yes because she's going to be in the Dark Phoenix movie.

4 hours ago, boomtown said:

I just looked through New Mutants #14 and couldn't find her called "Magik" once.  Everyone refers to her by "Illyana", even the writer never uses the term "Magik" when referring to her.  I know it's become popular to call New Mutants #14 her first appearance, but it really makes no sense.  If you have read the book and know where she is called "Magik", please let me know what panel it is, because I must have missed it.

Agreed, confusing at best. I don't recall Magik being used in the mini besides the title. The name of the story in NM #14 is "Do you believe in Magik", so I guess that's why. There are also three different spellings in the issue, magic, magik, magicks...

5 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Isn't she still legally a minor in the New Mutants?

19 hours ago, boomtown said:

I looked through mine as well and din't see it anywhere either. I thought maybe it was the first time she used her present powers, but that can't be right either. CGC is the one who notes NM14 as her first appearance as Magik. Of course they also note UXM 160 as first app of "adult" Ilyana, although other than Mississippi and West Virginia, I can't think of anywhere that 13 is considered an adult. 

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I looked through mine as well and din't see it anywhere either. I thought maybe it was the first time she used her present powers, but that can't be right either. CGC is the one who notes NM14 as her first appearance as Magik. Of course they also note UXM 160 as first app of "adult" Ilyana, although other than Mississippi and West Virginia, I can't think of anywhere that 13 is considered an adult. 

She uses powers in NM 14. Does she in the Magik mini?

Jennifer Kale (Swamp Queen) 1st app Fear #11

Modred The Mystic - Marvel Chillers #1

Bloodstone - Marvel Presents #1

Omega The Unknown #1

Killraven - Amazing Adventures #18

Wundarr - Fear #17

Captain Universe - Micronauts #8

Woodgod - Marvel Premiere #31

All depends on which D-list characters James Gunn is a big fan of and decides to put into his movies.

Omega The Unknown is revered by so many writers, it's a good pickup to hoard even if it doesn't pay off for several years, something will happen with the character eventually