• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there anything left...?(speculation)
5 5

95 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Firestorm is an ongoing part of the team on the Legends of Tomorrow TV show. As you suspected, it's not Raymond.

It doesn't look like Netflix will be getting any new Marvel properties now.

Did you just compare Night Nurse to Super Pro?

:facepalm:

I'm not comparing Super Pro to Night Nurse, as Night Nurse has a following and enjoys popularity now. I'm saying collectors are a fickle bunch and you never know. I was around in the 70s and 80s and 90s when Night Nurse was a running joke and nobody...I repeat nobody wanted it. For decades, it was in the bargain boxes along with the rest of the drek. There are some that collect oddball comics. Who knows what happens? After enough jokes, some start thinking, "I've got to have a copy just to have."  Along with mainstream comics, I like the oddball comics. I agree Super Pro has very little potential, but in this hobby stranger things have happen.

On 30/01/2018 at 1:37 AM, the blob said:

Night nurse always had its cult following.

The artwork in Night Nurse is actually quite nice.  Win Mortimer.

Edited by Ken Aldred

14 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

I'm not comparing Super Pro to Night Nurse, as Night Nurse has a following and enjoys popularity now. I'm saying collectors are a fickle bunch and you never know. I was around in the 70s and 80s and 90s when Night Nurse was a running joke and nobody...I repeat nobody wanted it. For decades, it was in the bargain boxes along with the rest of the drek. There are some that collect oddball comics. Who knows what happens? After enough jokes, some start thinking, "I've got to have a copy just to have."  Along with mainstream comics, I like the oddball comics. I agree Super Pro has very little potential, but in this hobby stranger things have happen.

It grew to it's current popularity because of a number of things. And this was before the Netflix appearances which gave it another slight bump.

1. Woman character with own series integral to one of the major Marvel properties.

2. Harder to find, especially in high grade. Good luck finding a full run at any show or shop and there are 5 9.8's total for the whole series. 5 total and two issues don't have any recorded.
So, that's a good formula to look at in terms of what other properties might increase in value.

A book like Super Pro is a dead property and can be found in almost an $0.50 / $1.00 bin.

Another factor in the rise of popularity for Night Nurse is that it's really good. 

I also heard jokes for decades about Night Nurse. When I finally got a copy about 10 years ago and read it, I was blown away by how good it is. 

The big problem with the book when it came out was there was no real genre for it. It's not really romance per se. It's really a prime time soap opera. It's basically Grey's Anatomy. So it fell between the cracks, and Marvel didn't really have a system in place to promote it. If it had been published by DC, which still had a line of successful Romance Comics running at the time, it might have done better, as the closest thing to Night Nurse in comic book terms were DC's serialized soap opera style stories from the late 60's like "3 Girls" in the pages of Heart Throbs. 

If you like prime time soap operas, though, Night Nurse is about the best you can find in comics. 

NFL SuperPro... actually, the one similarity I see is that it's between genres as well, as it's not really a sports comic or a superhero comic, but trying to be both. I have a hard time imagining it getting big, though. There are other books which, like Night Nurse, have been the brunt of jokes for years, but unlike Night Nurse, US 1 and Team America have never had a sniff of becoming popular. NFL SUperPro belongs with those books, I think. 

On 2/10/2018 at 2:07 PM, jaeldubyoo said:

I remember night nurse getting pumped in overstreet in the earlieish 90s. There was a thread on it here. I think it is in an opg cover gallery and i remember a pic of it in ads asking to buy collections. You see that and figure it must be collectable. It may be an example of dealer created demand.

16 hours ago, the blob said:

I remember night nurse getting pumped in overstreet in the earlieish 90s. There was a thread on it here. I think it is in an opg cover gallery and i remember a pic of it in ads asking to buy collections. You see that and figure it must be collectable. It may be an example of dealer created demand.

Yep, Night Nurse and DC's Laurel and Hardy both received a push back in the late 80s/early 90s. Pricing stuck with Night Nurse but Laurel and Hardy flamed out. In the 80s I was buying mystery long boxes from J&S Comics. They advertised that you wouldn't receive more than 2 or 3 copies of any one book.  One box came in with probably 30-40 assorted Night Nurse books. When I placed my next order I mentioned it & they said that they were used as packing material at the front and back of the box and weren't counted as actual books. They sold really well when ebay first started up.

Edited by boomtown

6 minutes ago, boomtown said:

Yep, Night Nurse and DC's Laurel and Hardy both received a push back in the late 80s/early 90s. Pricing stuck with Night Nurse but Laurel and Hardy flamed out. In the 80s I was buying mystery long boxes from J&S Comics. They advertised that you wouldn't receive more than 2 or 3 copies of any one book.  One box came in with probably 30-40 assorted Night Nurse books. When I placed my next order I mentioned it & they said that they were used as packing material at the front and back of the box and weren't counted as actual books. They sold really well when ebay first started up.

Why were there so many copies floating around if it was so unpopular? Is it something mile high had 10,000 copies of from mile high ii and even chuck didn't think he could pump it and he just chucked them?

28 minutes ago, the blob said:

Why were there so many copies floating around if it was so unpopular? Is it something mile high had 10,000 copies of from mile high ii and even chuck didn't think he could pump it and he just chucked them?

I don't think there were a ton of copies out there, but J&S used to have an unbelievable inventory, and it was a cr*p book at the time. When I started selling stuff off when ebay popped up, I could sell a handful of books out of those mystery long boxes and pay off my purchase price. Those were the good ole days.

Edited by boomtown

On 1/15/2018 at 5:47 AM, Wolverine3 said:

*This is also relavent to the Copper Age and in fact any age of comics.

The question is....

Speculation. Are there any possible Mid-Major characters left to speculate on across the two ‘ages that havent already been speculated on?

Basically, are there any character’s from any age that has low investment risk with high gains potential long term? 

That's your problem right here, you are making the focus of speculation on that of specific characters. I prefer to focus on issues that have more broader appeal and display better (as not all first appearances had good covers, or even cover appearances of that character) - iconic cover art is the way to go and is what I aim for with any age of comics. Can the issue be attractive to someone who does not know the characters or specific comics themselves - or just has the basic knowledge and appreciation from other media, like the MCU and DCU.