• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

833 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 12:56 PM, Gatsby77 said:

To me, Avatar was just aggressively mediocre.

Fun to watch once but instantly forgettable - “Dances with Smurfs” with great animation.

But the great tragedy of the film is it made James Cameron decide to spend the next 20 years of his life doing nothing but Avatar.

One of the best action directors - and screenwriters - of the last 40 years and we’ve been robbed of at least 3-4 other first rate action thrillers from him in the meantime - the likes of T2, The Abyss, True Lies - even Titanic.

I’d much rather see Cameron’s take on say… King Conan or Predator - even Mission Impossible - than even a single additional Avatar film.

100% agree.

Fun to watch once but instantly forgettable - “Dances with Smurfs” with great animation.

But the great tragedy of the film is it made James Cameron decide to spend the next 20 years of his life doing nothing but Avatar.

One of the best action directors - and screenwriters - of the last 40 years and we’ve been robbed of at least 3-4 other first rate action thrillers from him in the meantime - the likes of T2, The Abyss, True Lies - even Titanic.

I’d much rather see Cameron’s take on say… King Conan or Predator - even Mission Impossible - than even a single additional Avatar film.

I agree that Avatar was not as great as the hype leads people to believe.  However, as far as him spending the next twenty years doing nothing but Avatar?  I don't know if that is true.  Cameron has used his financial success with Titanic and Avatar to actually fund his passion project of ocean exploration which has actually greatly served the scientific community. 

Personally I feel that the Avatar sequels are being made so he was able to fund Nat Geo's, "Secrets of Whales" and other ventures.   If you take a look at his producing credits you will see that he is responsible for a lot of documentaries and exposure to topics that would not normally be presented to the public.   This begins with Titanic but goes full gear with the financial success of Avatar.  Maybe he has said all he really wants to say with non-fictional stories and wants to pursue other ventures.  Without him though, a lot of these scientific explorations would not be possible.  I screen shot his imdb producing credits and threw in the trailer to Secrets of Whales which he spearheaded.  That was one of the more engaging documentaries I watched recently. 

1866798307_ScreenShot2021-08-19at10_28_25AM.thumb.png.d61c4aa6a6f06fecdf7059c198ef785e.png

1778846920_ScreenShot2021-08-19at10_28_41AM.thumb.png.4b1a75ab89efede179e87cc2109084e7.png

On 8/19/2021 at 10:35 AM, Buzzetta said:

I agree that Avatar was not as great as the hype leads people to believe.  However, as far as him spending the next twenty years doing nothing but Avatar?  I don't know if that is true.  Cameron has used his financial success with Titanic and Avatar to actually fund his passion project of ocean exploration which has actually greatly served the scientific community. 

Personally I feel that the Avatar sequels are being made so he was able to fund Nat Geo's, "Secrets of Whales" and other ventures.   If you take a look at his producing credits you will see that he is responsible for a lot of documentaries and exposure to topics that would not normally be presented to the public.   This begins with Titanic but goes full gear with the financial success of Avatar.  Maybe he has said all he really wants to say with non-fictional stories and wants to pursue other ventures.  Without him though, a lot of these scientific explorations would not be possible.  I screen shot his imdb producing credits and threw in the trailer to Secrets of Whales which he spearheaded.  That was one of the more engaging documentaries I watched recently. 

1866798307_ScreenShot2021-08-19at10_28_25AM.thumb.png.d61c4aa6a6f06fecdf7059c198ef785e.png

1778846920_ScreenShot2021-08-19at10_28_41AM.thumb.png.4b1a75ab89efede179e87cc2109084e7.png

Don't put it past Disney it is all for keeping these movies as well for two reasons:

• $71.3B purchase of Fox Studios
  • A little gorgeous place it likes to call Pandora - The World of Avatar spread out over 12 acres of land

And it is quite the experience!

I get it you were sharing your experience. But to the general audience, the story differs there.

IMDb: 1,151,503 IMDb users

Avatar_IMDb.PNG.fb85eee0aad5a21ae57d4202494d9cc0.PNG

And surprisingly no matter gender or age the results were aligned

Avatar_IMDb2.PNG.edf5533c7b6b0ae71af6ae6539066698.PNG

Even with Rotten Tomatoes, both critics and audience ranked it strong.

Avatar_RT.PNG.21c13a7863309ca91fd0ba063824fe14.PNG

So Disney probably takes note of such things - along with its park attraction - and realizes for general audience focus this could work as a franchise.

(shrug)

On 8/19/2021 at 10:45 AM, Bosco685 said:

Don't put it past Disney it is all for keeping these movies as well for two reasons:

• $71.3B purchase of Fox Studios
  • A little gorgeous place it likes to call Pandora - The World of Avatar spread out over 12 acres of land

And it is quite the experience!

I guess they heard people had suicidal thoughts because they couldn’t live in a world like Pandora. So if people were dying to get there, well you just know Disney will build it.

Avatar 2 is still on the way, and director James Cameron is reminding fans of that fact by dropping a new photo with his Avatar leading man, Sam Worthington. The new photo (which appears in Total Film Magazine) shows Cameron looking contemplative while behind the scenes of production on the Avatar sequel; Worthington is right there with him, grinning away in a motion-capture suit with facial-capture dots freckled all over his face. Based on the small number of practical props in the photo, we can see that Worthington's character, Jake Sully, will be doing some Na'vi-style archery in this scene! 

If you are wondering what has taken the Avatar franchise so long to release the follow-up to the Oscar-winning billion-dollar film phenomenon from 2009, the answer is simple: James Cameron's limitless ambition. Cameron has developed new techniques for filming and/or creating underwater sequences as part of Avatar 2's storyline. He also planned not one, two, or three, but four Avatar sequels to make in one big run, for release in alternating years with Disney's Star Wars films. Of course, the COVID-19 pandemic shook up everything about that production schedule, but Avatar 2 is still set for 2022.

avatar2BTS.thumb.jpg.29e5f1be5b957afc1e835dbe081f5c40.jpg

I liked Avatar.  A lot.

Surprised by the poor feedback on this thread tbh.

I'll be seeing the sequel - but yeah, I have reservations about Avatar needing up to 4 other additional films.

We're excited to share that Avatar's story will continue in a brand new prequel series, Avatar: Adapt or Die. The story from Corinna Bechko, Beni R. Lobel, Wes Dzioba, and Michael Heisler will look at the early divide between humans and the Na'vi. Taking place decades into the advent of the Avatar program on Pandora, the comic will feature Dr. Grace Augustine beginning her quest for peace among humans and Na'vi, as she enters negotiations to open a school for children. However, her plans for unity could lead to even more problems in the future. Check out the cover for Avatar: Adapt to Die #1 from Dark Horse Comics below.

AVAAD-i1-CVR-4x6-SOL-1.jpg.26474369c5f84d942349df26727ed7be.jpg

On 3/16/2022 at 9:10 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I love when actors are 'moved' by their own performances.

Like the Disney-sponsored Eternals article with actors calling out it was going to be unlike other film before it.

Fan: What's unique?

Actor: It has actors and a -script!

Fan: And?

Actor: Did you not read ACTORS and a -script?! And we have villains too.

Fan: ???