• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

833 posts in this topic

This has a higher frame rate than 24 FPS? I remember looking up why they use that low rate, and was expounded that higher frame rates are what soap operas use, and it doesn't lend a very 'cinematic' look. I'll take a look at this on home video to see the differences.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:37 AM, WolverineX said:

(thumbsu. I for one really remembered being wowed by the special effects.  Will be watching it the first weekend. 

The VFX is why it made so much $. Everyone talked about how amazing it was and so word of mouth made people go in droves.

What I have not heard anyone talk about it is that it had a good plot that wasn't derivative of "dances with Wolves" or some similar movie.

On 12/4/2022 at 10:58 AM, Bosco685 said:

It does feel like people want to force themselves to dislike this movie. Any way they can.

But now with the Disney Marketing beast behind this, it will be interesting to see where it can take the film.

The biggest issue with this movie may have nothing to do with the quality of the film. When the first one came out the CGI and 3D were novel, and really no other movie had look so realistic, and felt so emmersive.  Now everyone one more or less hates 3D,  and that level of CGI is almost commonplace.   

That is what drove the first film. That is gone.  The film also needed to come out 10 years ago.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, Comics4All said:

The VFX is why it made so much $. Everyone talked about how amazing it was and so word of mouth made people go in droves.

What I have not heard anyone talk about it is that it had a good plot that wasn't derivative of "dances with Wolves" or some similar movie.

It was very derivative, with a plot that was very similar to a number of other films (Some say Dances with Wolves, some say that Ferngully movie, some say Disney's Pocahontas).  Despite that, it was a lot of fun, and enjoyable.  Derivative isn't always bad.  At this point most stories have been told, a bunch of times.  So it's kind of just, how well was it done this time?  And was there anything special about it, which in Avatar's case was mostly the visual effects.    

Like, Top Gun Maverick was derivative of itself.  Basically the same movie all over again, with a side of Star Wars thrown in.  But it was a lot of fun regardless.  

On 12/7/2022 at 2:06 PM, drotto said:

The biggest issue with this movie may have nothing to do with the quality of the film. When the first one came out the CGI and 3D were novel, and really no other movie had look so realistic, and felt so emmersive.  Now everyone one more or less hates 3D,  and that level of CGI is almost commonplace.   

That is what drove the first film. That is gone.  The film also needed to come out 10 years ago.

Disney has a lot riding on this film. No matter how much I dislike their review manipulation practices and social media misrepresentation, it is going to remember what they have into this even before Fox's commitment to this franchise.

Disney's $500M Avatar Theme Park Opens This Week

Walt Disney Co. (DIS) is gearing up to open its much hyped and awaited Avatar theme park addition this week, hoping the $500 million expansion will continue the red hot growth the entertainment company has been enjoying from its theme parks in recent years.

Disney has a lot riding on the new attraction’s success given the sheer cost and the fact that Pandora—World of Avatar is based on “Avatar” a movie that came out eight years ago but went on to gross close to $2.8 billion, according to the Wall Street Journal. The media giant is opening the new attraction at its Walt Disney World’s Animal Kingdom near Orlando, Florida, marking its largest expansion of a U.S. based theme park in more than 10 years. With Animal Kingdom typically a couple-of-hours type resort it is hoping the addition will keep park goers there longer. (For more, see also: Disney Offers to Share Cost of Hong Kong Expansion.)

According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, the large amount of money the company spent on World of Avatar signals it thinks it can continue to grow the resort business amid record quarterly profits. Revenue in the unit has increased 31% to close to $17 billion in the last four years, noted the WSJ. “Avatar” was a huge hit in 2009 largely because it relied on technology that was groundbreaking at the time. Still, the Pandora—World of Avatar lacks a much loved character like say “Frozen” or “Toy Story”—two films that have their own Disney park attractions.

Merchandising, park tickets, etc.

On 12/7/2022 at 2:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

Disney has a lot riding on this film. No matter how much I dislike their review manipulation practices and social media misrepresentation, it is going to remember what they have into this even before Fox's commitment to this franchise.

Disney's $500M Avatar Theme Park Opens This Week

Merchandising, park tickets, etc.

The Avatar section is very cool, and I expect the new one will be great also.  Just the rumored point of profitability on this film is staggering,  and unless they get the production costs way down (which they can get them somewhat down, since the set and tech is "paid" for), not sure how many more films they will make. Plus, Star Wars sections in the parks have not driven profits (many reasons however).

They need a long term franchise out of Avatar. Especially since Star War and maybe the MCU are on the decline.

Edited by drotto