• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

833 posts in this topic

Enjoyable film but it was noticeably long for as it approached midnight I found myself starting to feel very tired. As was mentioned before by other board members it was difficult to be emotionally invested.

I also prefer the first film, that said I give this a 6/10

**changed my score 

Edited by Artboy99

On 12/17/2022 at 1:46 PM, Axelrod said:

The story of this movie was never going to be the opening weekend.  Like Top Gun Maverick, it's all going to be about the legs (or lack thereof as the case may be)

The international is looking strong.  The US estimates are now apparently looking to be around $150 million, which is at the low end of estimates. It is going to need serious legs to get anywhere near the original film.

It is thebonly big film for Christmas, which should help. 

Edited by drotto

On 12/18/2022 at 5:09 AM, NoMan said:

Is it a dangerous film to see if you can’t swim?

I did ask my brother that! :sumo: because he can't and also had a bad experience.

He gasped several times at it all watching it, but it only added to his experience. Probably because you know, pixels, but anything like that with past events, kind of irks you or pulls emotion out (thumbsu 

I just read an interesting thread on this movie in another forum and this was posted:

There is a test to see if a movie is good

1 - do you want to see it again, right after it finishes? or did you forget it an hour later

2 - You can't wait to get the blueray or digital

3 - you feel good after seeing it, any hesitation if you like it? I call it the star wars prequel effect, you make excuses u like it

4 - You recommend the film to your friends, family, and co-workers and tell them they have to see it

5 - you defend the film against any that criticize it

6- It's 3 hours long and it didn't feel it

If you don't get all of these of even half? Then it's not good

Since it doesn't pass any of these for me I guess it isn't that good.

On 12/17/2022 at 10:46 AM, Axelrod said:

The story of this movie was never going to be the opening weekend.  Like Top Gun Maverick, it's all going to be about the legs (or lack thereof as the case may be)

Average legs on these holiday blockbusters is 3.5x opening weekend, at $175M that's $600M+.  With a $135M opening, it needs to do 4.5x for $600M+.  Time will tell.

I really enjoyed it and I love good 3D cinema.

At home I have one of the best 3D TVs ever made, the 2016 3D OLED G6. Sadly they do not make 3D TV anymore and only 3D projectors. Tweaking with 3D in the past, I knew it made a lot of sense to use a higher frame rate. The movie however ADJUSTS between 24 and 48 frames per sec. Underwater 48, wide panning shots and some actions sequences 48, dialog scenes 24. Increasing the "motion-flow" a little makes the image crisper and the 3D pops better on TV's. It also reduces the eye strain a bit. Making the FR variable for a full 3 hour movie, made the SOE (Soap opera effect) less noticeable and distracting.

I watched it at the local Cinemark XD theater using the Gunner Midnight Onyk 3D glasses. It lets more light into the image, has a wider glass lens and makes a slightly sharper image. Movie theater glasses are dark and just suck. During the movie, there were times when the image stuttered a bit. I believe that was more due to the local hardware limitations frame skipping on heavy action sequences. The theater I watched it at didn't have a very good contrast, so if possible watch this on a Dolby Vision with laser and/or good Imax screen. Nevertheless the 3D was still very enjoyable. I wouldn't be shocked if James Cameron watched Sammy's Adventures. It's well known has one of the best 3D animated movies ever in terms of pop-outs and takes place mostly underwater.

For the story aspect, there was actually a lot to unpack with the movie. It felt like a bit of a throwback to older action blockbusters from the 90's. The first 30 minutes felt a bit of a retread, but once the movie shifts to underwater. The 3D and the plot starts to get a bit deeper. The Computer Graphics advancements in the movie is A+. 
I really enjoyed the Spyder kid. They did some really interesting things with his arc that well clearly come to play in the later movies.
The villain Miles Quaritch felt a bit cartoonish at times but had one really great moment.
The Sully family was very enjoyable and I have to admit I did tear up a bit more than once.
The 3 major take-aways in this movie are family, being a father, and being an outcast.

Go see it just to experience the technology advancements and experimentation, plus the story has more meat on it as well. 

Edited by Rip

We just left a packed theater and I thought it was fantastic!  I don’t think it has the wonder and impact of the 1st one but I thought the story and action was better in this one.  A bit long but it flowed well and I feel like I could see it again at some point.

On 12/18/2022 at 7:28 PM, Larryw7 said:

134 million domestic sounds disappointing. 

I agree, but my gut says it will have strong holds for the next two weeks. No real competition and it is the holidays. The 31% domestic to 69% international is surprising.  Figured it was a better international movie, but this is really high.