• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVATAR 2 THE WAY OF WATER starring Sam Worthington (2022)
2 2

833 posts in this topic

I will have to say that I bought our tickets Friday evening for a 3:30 PM showing on Sunday and we were the first people to buy tickets in the entire theater.  It filled in by Sunday but I'd have expected some pre-sale for a movie this big.  Everyone seems to be adapting to the I'll wait for it on my streaming service mentality which can't be good for the theaters bottom line.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:46 AM, Artboy99 said:

Enjoyable film but it was noticeably long for as it approached midnight I found myself starting to feel very tired. As was mentioned before by other board members it was difficult to be emotionally invested.

I also prefer the first film, that said I give this a 6/10

**changed my score 

On 12/18/2022 at 7:52 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I did ask my brother that! :sumo: because he can't and also had a bad experience.

He gasped several times at it all watching it, but it only added to his experience. Probably because you know, pixels, but anything like that with past events, kind of irks you or pulls emotion out (thumbsu 

On 12/18/2022 at 7:41 PM, 1Cool said:

We just left a packed theater and I thought it was fantastic!  I don’t think it has the wonder and impact of the 1st one but I thought the story and action was better in this one.  A bit long but it flowed well and I feel like I could see it again at some point.

How are the 3d glasses they give you?  Are the comfortable enough to fit over your own glasses?  

On 12/19/2022 at 9:28 AM, WolverineX said:

How are the 3d glasses they give you?  Are the comfortable enough to fit over your own glasses?  

nope. plastic framed glasses relatively the same size as my glasses. meh

Edited by Artboy99

On 12/19/2022 at 11:28 AM, WolverineX said:

I don't wear glasses anymore (Lasik 20ish years ago) but I'd imagine you should be fine.  I've got a huge head and they fit me comfortably so smaller head people with glasses should be good.  3.5 hours wearing 3-d glasses did give me a slight headache but it went away quickly.

On 12/19/2022 at 10:29 AM, Artboy99 said:
On 12/19/2022 at 10:28 AM, WolverineX said:

nope. plastic framed glasses relatively the same size as my glasses. meh

On 12/19/2022 at 10:30 AM, 1Cool said:

I don't wear glasses anymore (Lasik 20ish years ago) but I'd imagine you should be fine.  I've got a huge head and they fit me comfortably so smaller head people with glasses should be good.  3.5 hours wearing 3-d glasses did give me a slight headache but it went away quickly.

I can't speak much to it, as I do not wear glasses. All I know is at the prescreen the glasses had a anti-theft on them to not take out of the actual theater into the lobby or a theft alarm would sound.

So they seemed big because I kept pushing them up my nose and closer to my eyes, but Idk if the ones I got to use are the universal ones out there or not :( 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 12/19/2022 at 9:33 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I can't speak much to it, as I do not wear glasses. All I know is at the prescreen the glasses and a buzzer on them to not take out of the actual theater into the lobby or a theft alarm would sound.

So they seemed big because I kept pushing them up my nose and closer to my eyes, but Idk if the ones I got to use are the universal ones out there or not :( 

I am in Canada and the theater I went to didn't supply anything special and they were the same glasses that I was given last time I saw a 3D film. At the end of the movie you drop them into the glasses recycling cardboard box. 

On 12/20/2022 at 5:58 PM, The Brain said:

Got back from seeing this in I-Max 3D

I give it a 7 out of 10. It is a 'retelling of Jake's story'.

Beautiful, spiritual, and moving in it's "family first"  philosophy.

It's also rrrreeeeeaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllll  long.

I do wish they had a different antagonist.  

I have watched a few Youtube reviews of the movie applauding the visuals of the film and one thing I will state is while I agree the movie is visually impressive, to me it applies to the scenery/ environment only. The way the Navi look does not look as good as it did in the first film to me. When they are on screen I feel they do not mesh well with the surrounding environment...they stand out as graphics. Reminds me of the She-Hulk TV show as I felt the same watching that and I believe it is that reason why I never felt emotionally invested in the movie. To those that have seen it, is what I am saying making sense?

On 12/21/2022 at 9:08 AM, Artboy99 said:

I have watched a few Youtube reviews of the movie applauding the visuals of the film and one thing I will state is while I agree the movie is visually impressive, to me it applies to the scenery/ environment only. The way the Navi look does not look as good as it did in the first film to me. When they are on screen I feel they do not mesh well with the surrounding environment...they stand out as graphics. Reminds me of the She-Hulk TV show as I felt the same watching that and I believe it is that reason why I never felt emotionally invested in the movie. To those that have seen it, is what I am saying making sense?

Yes! True enough. And I forget "names" so navi might be who I'm thinking of, but the water peoples "queen" for me was the prime example of that, well her and the main hero. They seemed generic in expression and overall look. Despite having some major parts, it tended to add of a CGI role. I'm not sure, but I wasn't as drawn to them as the other characters and what you stated might have been why :shy: 

On 12/21/2022 at 8:14 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes! True enough. And I forget "names" so navi might be who I'm thinking of, but the water peoples "queen" for me was the prime example of that, well her and the main hero. They seemed generic in expression and overall look. Despite having some major parts, it tended to add of a CGI role. I'm not sure, but I wasn't as drawn to them as the other characters and what you stated might have been why :shy: 

two scenes of similarity from each movie and somehow 13 years later I prefer the first film Navi.

jake.jpg

jake-sully-and-neteyam-avatar-the-way-of-water-1667394391.jpg

Finally saw this.  And my reaction is, it was fine.  

I enjoyed it.  It looked good.  The water/aquatic stuff was at least a little different from the first movie.  

But, this is not a movie that demands to be seen again.  Not in the same way the first one did, because the visual impact was so much greater and more novel then.  The effects in this movie are mostly of the same variety that people are now very used to.  I read how they had to invent new technologies for the underwater scenes, but even if that's true, they didn't stand out like "omg, this is something we have never seen before," regardless of how hard they might have been to actually do.

Don't get me wrong, it looked quite good, but not that much different from the 1st one.  

And the plot was the weakest part for me.  Definitely felt a little paint-by-numbers.  And just not all that significant?  I know they already shot the next one, so maybe this one is just suffering from middle child syndrome.  More set up than pay off in many ways.  

Call it a B?  I guess?