• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2018 at 9:52 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

The facts say Incredible Hulk #181 has doubled in price since 2013 in any grade.

Although this statement would appear to be generally accurate, I do not believe it is correct when it comes to the 9.8 and higher graded copies of this book.  (shrug)

3 hours ago, story cover & art by... said:
5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Although this statement would appear to be generally accurate, I do not believe it is correct when it comes to the 9.8 and higher graded copies of this book.  (shrug)

bought mine for 11k 2 years ago....

Wasn't it running at something like double that price or possibly even more than that for a 9.8 graded copy over a decade ago?  hm

On 2/7/2018 at 10:51 PM, lou_fine said:

Wasn't it running at something like double that price or possibly even more than that for a 9.8 graded copy over a decade ago?  hm

2018-10=2008...  since 2013... 

I bought my 9.8 in 2015(time flies) for 11k 

Connoisseur- The facts say Incredible Hulk #181 has doubled in price since 2013 in any grade.

Lou- Although this statement would appear to be generally accurate, I do not believe it is correct when it comes to the 9.8 and higher graded copies of this book.  (shrug)

What would be a correct statement?!? (shrug)

ok wait...

A: Maybe you're acknowledging connoisseurs statement and raising him 10 years... :signofftopic::golfclap::tonofbricks::frustrated::ohnoez:

B: You are eluding to the fact that the a 9.8 copy hasn't reached its potential and has possibility for more future growth...^^

Ill affirm that my statement is within context of Connoisseurs original statement...(shrug)

Edited by story cover & art by...

20 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

If they ever put hulk v wolverine on the big screen this thing will be the Mount St. Helens of comic books!!!???

Agreed that would be something.

This book is now an even safer bet now that Disney owns Wolverine. Hard to top Disney when it comes to marketing.

On 2/8/2018 at 1:51 AM, lou_fine said:

The key though of my statement was even CGC 2.0 to 6.0 have doubled. That means just about anybody could or should get one of these before they double in price again.

Same thing happened with low grade AF#15s in that in the last 5 years the average low grade CGC AF#15 has doubled in price.

I would be shocked if low grade Hulk #181s and AF#15s would lose value these next 5 years. Instead I see them increasing in value.

Now 9.8s that is a different game because of volatility.

So in conclusion

9.8s are risky, but low grades you have a good shot at making some coin on them if you buy and hold for 5 years.

On 2/2/2018 at 4:48 AM, Mjolnir! said:

Not surprising this book is doing so well with comics prices in general on the upswing in correlation with the economy and the stock market.

In retrospect (it appears to me), the last time U.S. suffered through a bear market, Hulk 181 prices slowed down and prices were depressed for awhile.  

As long as the economy remains strong, what could possibly derail this book? 

You really think there's a correlation? You really think someone willing to spend 1000 dollars on a comic book is going to be swayed by stock market performance? 

The economy started to tank in 2007 comic values at least for major titles didn't start to decrease til maybe ~2011 or so. They remained high even in 08, 09 when things were totally off a cliff! Personally I think the general economy or stock market have very little impact on the hobby. The collecting population is too small to be affected by macro trends. 

Hugh Jackman in "Logan" & the fox Disney deal probably has a ton more to do with it than anything else

Edited by MGsimba77

57 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

You really think there's a correlation? You really think someone willing to spend 1000 dollars on a comic book is going to be swayed by stock market performance? 

The economy started to tank in 2007 comic values at least for major titles didn't start to decrease til maybe ~2011 or so. They remained high even in 08, 09 when things were totally off a cliff! Personally I think the general economy or stock market have very little impact on the hobby. The collecting population is too small to be affected by macro trends. 

Hugh Jackman in "Logan" & the fox Disney deal probably has a ton more to do with it than anything else

I think there is a correlation. If you feel flush with money, you don't mind spending more. If the market is tanking, you may keep it close to the vest and limit your purchases. I am retired and my 'income' is directly taken out of my stock market holdings. It matters to me.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think there is a correlation. If you feel flush with money, you don't mind spending more. If the market is tanking, you may keep it close to the vest and limit your purchases. I am retired and my 'income' is directly taken out of my stock market holdings. It matters to me.

Ok with the exception of you. I would imagine most comic collectors are not retired folk depending on stocks (which just had a market correction BTW) & a 401k. 

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Ok with the exception of you. I would imagine most comic collectors are not retired folk depending on stocks (which just had a market correction BTW) & a 401k. 

It matters to other folks too. 

If the economy isn't doing well people tend to hold on to their cash due to all of the uncertainty that comes along with it.

Especially when it comes to job security.  During a bear market typically a lot of folks have lost their jobs or don't know if they will have a job the next day.   That worry alone is a big reason to hold onto cash to spend on necessities only. 

And if I recall correctly, during the last bear market we had, a lot of folks were selling their collections for cash.  Cash needed to pay their bills.     

12 minutes ago, Mjolnir! said:

It matters to other folks too. 

If the economy isn't doing well people tend to hold on to their cash due to all of the uncertainty that comes along with it.

Especially when it comes to job security.  During a bear market typically a lot of folks have lost their jobs or don't know if they will have a job the next day.   That worry alone is a big reason to hold onto cash to spend on necessities only. 

And if I recall correctly, during the last bear market we had, a lot of folks were selling their collections for cash.  Cash needed to pay their bills.     

Why wasn't there a whole sale valuation drop from '07 to around '10? There was talk of massive bank runs in 08. Why no drop in 08 09? This correlation claim is dubious. 

31 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Why wasn't there a whole sale valuation drop from '07 to around '10? There was talk of massive bank runs in 08. Why no drop in 08 09? This correlation claim is dubious. 

I think you are correct from the perspective that the valuation of vintage comics did not go down much during that period. However, I do think sales probably suffered. I remember going to a couple big conventions and attendance was way down. I have no stats but I would think sales of new comics were down. I know I stopped collecting moderns for a while.  I do remember thinking how easy it was to win a book in an online auction in those days. Today, you have to bring the big guns.  

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I would be shocked if low grade Hulk #181s and AF#15s would lose value these next 5 years. Instead I see them increasing in value.

Now 9.8s that is a different game because of volatility.

So in conclusion

9.8s are risky, but low grades you have a good shot at making some coin on them if you buy and hold for 5 years.

Now, this is a more grade specific statement with which I would have no problem agreeing with.  (thumbsu