• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,931 posts in this topic

I was considering trying to get a lower grade copy of Hulk #181 at this summer's big Comic Con, but upon browsing eBay I saw that copies at just 3.5 are going for $900.00?! Are you kidding? I'd have to drop a Grand just to get a 4.0 copy - if that? I know Wolverine was in the movies, helping to drive up prices, but is he really this popular? Or are speculators driving up the price into a nice price bubble that's going to bust soon? It can't keep going up like it is. Reminds me of the dot.com bubble of the late 90s in a way. I'm suspicious of these outrageous prices. I may just find a good Marvel Mystery Comics issue (my Golden Age favorite) that's under $1,000. I *know* those are in demand and will go up every year.

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Hulk 181 is a great book to own. Always has been. It is however a Bronze age book as you certainly know, bringing on a more appropriate discussion in the Bronze Forum.

Yeah, I realized that after a saw a similar topic in that forum. Oops.

It's not the right forum but this is a golden book. No hype. It's one of the most popular characters. No bubble. I would be shocked it you ever lost value holding this comic. It's a sure fire will increase in value and it will sell for the most times, very quickly. Because so many people want one. 

On 1/19/2018 at 2:33 PM, Getoutandstayout said:

I was considering trying to get a lower grade copy of Hulk #181 at this summer's big Comic Con, but upon browsing eBay I saw that copies at just 3.5 are going for $900.00?! Are you kidding? I'd have to drop a Grand just to get a 4.0 copy - if that? I know Wolverine was in the movies, helping to drive up prices, but is he really this popular? Or are speculators driving up the price into a nice price bubble that's going to bust soon? It can't keep going up like it is. Reminds me of the dot.com bubble of the late 90s in a way. I'm suspicious of these outrageous prices. I may just find a good Marvel Mystery Comics issue (my Golden Age favorite) that's under $1,000. I *know* those are in demand and will go up every year.

Just about all HULK#181s have doubled in price in any grade from 5 years ago. This comic will turn into another AF#15.

HULK#181 and AF#15s are the safest bets as you will get in the comic book collecting world.

This should be moved to Bronze Age forum.

2 hours ago, jasmit990 said:

Over 10k graded with 600 restored.  imo it will see ups and downs over time.  

10k really isn't a lot when there are millions of Wolverine fans.

Now if there was a million copies of this graded I could see the argument.

The comic book will continue to go up like AF#15

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

17 hours ago, *Bronze age fan* said:

It's not the right forum but this is a golden book. No hype. It's one of the most popular characters. No bubble. I would be shocked it you ever lost value holding this comic. It's a sure fire will increase in value and it will sell for the most times, very quickly. Because so many people want one. 

Agreed. In real estate it's location,location and location.

With comic books it's demand,demand and demand.

18 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Personally, I’m steering clear of 181 due to it’s availability...we all have different crystal balls though. The only opinions I don’t respect are the ones presenting their predictions as facts.

The facts say Incredible Hulk #181 has doubled in price since 2013 in any grade. I would suggest to pick up up a price guide from 5 years ago and compare it to one now or go on Heritage Auctions and look at the selling prices for Hulk #181 5 years ago as compared to now.

The numbers don't lie and support that Hulk #181s have projected upward these last 5 years.

The Hulk 181s have doubled in price in any grade before Disney got back the rights. I can only imagine the prices 5 years from now will continue upward mobility.

Investing in Hulk#181s has been a better bet than putting the same amount of money in a bank savings account these last 5 years with miniscule interest rates. 

Really it is a no brainer to try to pick up a few Hulk #181s now in any condition because the price will be higher later in 5 years.

I bet some people 5 years ago wished they got in on AF#15 ,but hesitated because they thought the bubble was going to burst or there will be a market correction.

In my opinion low-grade-mid-grade Hulk #181s are safe bets for going up.

Other than AF#15 I can't think of a safer bet in post-1961 comics.

5 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The facts say Incredible Hulk #181 has doubled in price since 2013 in any grade. I would suggest to pick up up a price guide from 5 years ago and compare it to one now or go on Heritage Auctions and look at the selling prices for Hulk #181 5 years ago as compared to now.

The numbers don't lie and support that Hulk #181s have projected upward these last 5 years.

The Hulk 181s have doubled in price in any grade before Disney got back the rights. I can only imagine the prices 5 years from now will continue upward mobility.

Investing in Hulk#181s has been a better bet than putting the same amount of money in a bank savings account these last 5 years with miniscule interest rates. 

Really it is a no brainer to try to pick up a few Hulk #181s now in any condition because the price will be higher later in 5 years.

I bet some people 5 years ago wished they got in on AF#15 ,but hesitated because they thought the bubble was going to burst or there will be a market correction.

and to think i was wasting my money buying 1950's war comics back in 2013 lol  xD it was still lots of fun , just not as lucrative as IH181

7 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

10k really isn't a lot when there are millions of Wolverine fans.

Now if there was a million copies of this graded I could see the argument.

The comic book will continue to go up like AF#15

while i don't have Wolverine's first appearance thankfully i do have the Punishers (thumbsu

9 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yes, it is factual that 181 has increased in price dramatically. It is not a fact that past performance guarantees future results, OR that 181 will mimic AF15.

Is it possible? Sure...but let’s be clear, chasing ultra hot books is a high risk game. We’ve all done it, but for me...chasing a red hot book with >10k graded copies is asking for trouble...

I’m a respectful gent though...please nobody take this as me peeing on your parade. I applaud profits had, childhood memories relived, and wish the very best luck to folks taking the plunge, regardless of your motives.(thumbsu

great cover, first appearance of one of the top 5 all time popular heroes... whats not to like?  perfectly wrapped book with deep colors and white pages already bring a premium, but they will start to separate even more dramatically as time goes on.  

set a budget, find the best copy you can and dont look back (thumbsu

When books in certain grades sell for similar prices like this book, that to me is a clear indicator people are overpaying - great book to have to sell but not a great book to buy in low and mid grade. There is no reason a 3.0 and 5.5 of this book should be separated by a hundred dollars.