• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which key issues that are currently undervalued in your opinion?
8 8

278 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, oakman29 said:

The whole horror magazine genre is way underpriced.

How is that people will pay astronomical prices for any given Walking Dead book , but not want these books. Or an EC collector not dig them. It's beyond me.

What’s an example of a title/issue # with great story/art for the beginner who knows very little about these books. 

11 minutes ago, NoMan said:

What’s an example of a title/issue # with great story/art for the beginner who knows very little about these books. 

there are far too many to say. You just have to dive in yourself. The waters fine.:cloud9:

8 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Thanks. Very helpful. 

This might only be slightly moreso, but there were a couple of major sales threads (bounty_coder around Halloween with super-large pics & DeadOne's just a couple of weeks ago) in past couple of months with many examples of bronze horror mags, hopefully the pics are still hosted, there were a lot of great mags sold/for sale in these very large threads (37 & 41 pp.) - often accompanied by some great info and sometimes fan reactions.

8 minutes ago, grebal said:

This might only be slightly moreso, but there were a couple of major sales threads (bounty_coder around Halloween with super-large pics & DeadOne's just a couple of weeks ago) in past couple of months with many examples of bronze horror mags, hopefully the pics are still hosted, there were a lot of great mags sold/for sale in these very large threads (37 & 41 pp.) - often accompanied by some great info and sometimes fan reactions.

Thanks. I’ll plow through this on breaks here at work. Give a quick look-see. Seems to be a lot of info about art, Hopefully there’s info about good stories. 

4 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Thanks. I’ll plow through this on breaks here at work. Give a quick look-see. Seems to be a lot of info about art, Hopefully there’s info about good stories. 

Not much -at least that I recall- about stories, very art-centric reactions.

On 1/31/2018 at 4:51 AM, Mjolnir! said:

Another key book IMHO that could be undervalued is Special Marvel Edition #15. 

This is the first appearance of Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu.  

I suspect sooner or later he will show-up on one of the Marvel Netflix shows.  Possibly during Iron Fist second series?

Of course this is all speculation.  I can't believe what this book recently sold for on E-bay.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Special-Marvel-Edition-15-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-First-Appearance-Shang-Chi/132421893801?hash=item1ed4f5bea9:g:uLMAAOSwGPxaJHCC

That's undervalued?

Also, it's going to be tough to even get a B-C level character in a Netflix show now. Disney has said they aren't doing any new shows on Netflix.

Couple that with the train on TV speculation getting last call. It's about to leave the station.

On 1/29/2018 at 7:18 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Ant-Man probably has the worst rep of any Marvel superhero movie recently. Ant-Man 2 is coming out this summer and there is absolutely no buzz about it. Aquaman has more buzz.

With that said I thought the MP 47 was a cool take on Ant-Man and enjoyed the Ant-Man movie. Hopefully Ant-Man 2 changes the perception of Ant-Man.

The first trailer was just released. I think there will be some buzz for the Wasp....er Ant-Man movie. I don't think it will relate to comics more than the first appearance of Ghost though.

7 hours ago, NoMan said:

Creepy 1.  Frazetta qualifies as great art, I believe.

The first dozen or so issues of Creepy and Eerie contain stories written by Archie Goodwin, one of the best creators from the late Silver Age to  Bronze Age.

Alternatively, for some great war stories, Blazing Combat 1.

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Or an EC collector not dig them. It's beyond me.

Pretty much essential add-ons for an EC collector, with work from many of the company's artists such as, from memory; Frank Frazetta, Al Williamson, Roy Krenkel, Angelo Torres, Wally Wood, Johnny Craig, Reed Crandall, John Severin and  Joe Orlando.

Many have listed various magazines as undervalued. I agree but that doesn’t mean the market will improve. As someone who has been slabbing a few hundred books recently I feel that the reasons magazine sized issues are lagging price wise is due to the higher slabbing costs.  Due to this and huge price spreads between 9.0 and 9.8, not to mention the relative inconvenience of shipping magazine slabs, most sellers focus elsewhere.  Hope this changes as I have thousands of them!

59 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Creepy 1.  Frazetta qualifies as great art, I believe.

The first dozen or so issues of Creepy and Eerie contain stories written by Archie Goodwin, one of the best creators from the late Silver Age to  Bronze Age.

Alternatively, for some great war stories, Blazing Combat 1.

thanks. 

4 hours ago, fett said:

Team America!! 

I pefer US1. The metal plate in the truck driver’s head that receives signals from aliens that come to earth in the form of the villainous Highwaymen....

Only 12 issues, too. 

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

I pefer US1. The metal plate in the truck driver’s head that receives signals from aliens that come to earth in the form of the villainous Highwaymen....

Only 12 issues, too. 

Some of the later covers on that series are kind of interesting and the issues are not super easy to find in nice shape.