• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which key issues that are currently undervalued in your opinion?
8 8

278 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2021 at 8:01 AM, 1Cool said:

Telling a message boards about my belief that New Mutants 9 is undervalued really isn't going to effect my ability to buy copies.  If you are pumping up a rare book where there is only a few copies in existence while you hunt for a copy would not be very prudent but most books are so common you just are not going effect the hunt much if you say a book could get hot in the future. 

It depends on how many copies you are trying to buy. 😀

I have a few books that I buy every time I find them for $1-2.  My goal with one of them is to fill a long box ( I’ve still got a long way to go ). 

I’m keeping that one to myself.  I doubt that it will ever pop, but if it does.. 😀

On 12/30/2021 at 12:05 AM, Hamlet said:

It depends on how many copies you are trying to buy. 😀

I have a few books that I buy every time I find them for $1-2.  My goal with one of them is to fill a long box ( I’ve still got a long way to go ). 

I’m keeping that one to myself.  I doubt that it will ever pop, but if it does.. 😀

No matter how many copies you are buying I don't think you telling us will make a drop in the bucket.  If you have an inside scoop and want to keep that close to your chest then I can see that but if you said X-Men 251 (example sake) was possibly a future hot book because of some obscure reason I doubt your competition for copies would be up more then a blip when buying copies. 

What I find annoying is that it's not the 'smart money' ( a term being used recently in another thread,) that is driving the price hikes but the stupid money. Perfect example is Captain Marvel 27 with cover appearance by Eros, and a MCU character recently trailed at the end of the Eternals film to be played by Harry Styles. Overnight CM 27 has gone bonkers for realised auction price and even greedier speculative prices for Buy It Now because people who seem determined to have a copy right now as a result of having seen the film, are willing to overpay for it. They could have had a copy last week for peanuts, but no, they didn't want it then. But because the character has been trailed in the MCU, now they want it.

Buying when demand and prices are high isn't smart. And it's affecting affordability in our hobby. It's tulip mania (1634 to 1637) all over again. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 12/31/2021 at 5:14 PM, ThothAmon said:

Nice. 

BC17E6D6-DDAB-4102-BB91-12026528AADF.png

Lovely copy of a great comic! See my earlier hot tip for Warlock 12 which has't yet suffered the same fate pricewise. (Because it's going to be CGI and not an actor???) Internet articles quote Pip's clearly bogus and made up origin story as if it's gospel. Don't they know trolls? 

On 12/31/2021 at 12:08 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

What I find annoying is that it's not the 'smart money' ( a term being used recently in another thread,) that is driving the price hikes but the stupid money. Perfect example is Captain Marvel 27 with cover appearance by Eros, and a MCU character recently trailed at the end of the Eternals film to be played by Harry Styles. Overnight CM 27 has gone bonkers for realised auction price and even greedier speculative prices for Buy It Now because people who seem determined to have a copy right now as a result of having seen the film, are willing to overpay for it. They could have had a copy last week for peanuts, but no, they didn't want it then. But because the character has been trailed in the MCU, now they want it.

Buying when demand and prices are high isn't smart. And it's affecting affordability in our hobby. It's tulip mania (1634 to 1637) all over again. 

This. I can't rant about the right or wrong of this because I don't know what an "Eros" is. Must be (Up to this point, anyway) a minor character. I don't have the funds or the foresight to try to guess who will be the next golden ticket. Furthermore, I don't have the energy or inclination to. It's a stock market game I have never been interested in or particularly good at. And I guess that's because - as I have said many times - money isn't my end game. Having a book I want IS.

Maybe we can look at it from another perspective. When Bernie Wrightson died, suddenly HOS 92 went straight through the roof. Not because of a movie or tv show, but because the book has always held its own and has had a weird value by itself. A weird value? Yes. It was the 1st appearance of Swamp Thing. Weird in that no, not really. Not if we are to believe Alan Moore who suggested that Swamp Thing has always been a different being in a long line of elementals. So the Swamp Thing WE know has always been the one who made its first appearance in Swamp Thing #1. That's actually the book that should see soaring values.

Yet HOS 92 holds the 1st appearance of an elemental who wasn't even CALLED "Swamp Thing". "Alec" was a prototype of sorts. HOS 92 is actually worth what people are trying to sell it for. Not because of tv or a movie or some goofball actor who doesn't know Swamp Thing from Linda Holland.

UNFORTUNATELY for the average Joe Collector who actually knows something about the characters and the history of them and the series they collect, they WILL be shut out just by sheer capitalism alone. Like all the dopeys who were hoarding the toilet paper last year. A lot of us knew COVID was a bronchial issue and yet the dopeys  were taking it all for themselves fearing....what? Digestive discomfort? Shutting out everyone else who knew better or had no real NEED to hoard it.

Money will win and if you don't have it, it's gonna be a problem collecting for the love of the hobby. Thankfully, I have zero interest in Eros OR Captain Marvel. Or Narvel in general. It sucks for those of us who like what we like and have to be held hostage by other collectors greed. But it is what it is. Maybe at some point, the majority of us will turn their back on Marvel altogether if and when it finally wears out its welcome. But by all means. Keep collecting and fetishing over Marvel. I will be over here watching DC prices soften. Only drawback is I actually have a few DC books for sale and can't seem to sell them. Then again, I don't really WANT to.

I don't see the logic of buying immediately after the movie. Wait 1, 3, 6 months to buy the book; prices will have gone down a lot by then but you'll still be able to profit when the character shows up again. Then again, I'm primarily a D.C. collector at this point so I clearly don't know jack about making a profit...

On 12/31/2021 at 1:27 PM, Randall Ries said:

Maybe we can look at it from another perspective. When Bernie Wrightson died, suddenly HOS 92 went straight through the roof. Not because of a movie or tv show, but because the book has always held its own and has had a weird value by itself. A weird value? Yes. It was the 1st appearance of Swamp Thing. Weird in that no, not really. Not if we are to believe Alan Moore who suggested that Swamp Thing has always been a different being in a long line of elementals. So the Swamp Thing WE know has always been the one who made its first appearance in Swamp Thing #1. That's actually the book that should see soaring values.

Yet HOS 92 holds the 1st appearance of an elemental who wasn't even CALLED "Swamp Thing". "Alec" was a prototype of sorts. HOS 92 is actually worth what people are trying to sell it for. Not because of tv or a movie or some goofball actor who doesn't know Swamp Thing from Linda Holland.

The characters in HoS 92 and ST 1 have always been different, right from the start. It was intended and made that way by Wein and Wrightson. HoS 92 features Alex Olson, who was murdered by his jealous friend. ST 1 features Alec Holland and his wife, who were scientists working on a valuable formula and killed by greedy scum..

On 12/31/2021 at 5:27 PM, Lazyboy said:

The characters in HoS 92 and ST 1 have always been different, right from the start. It was intended and made that way by Wein and Wrightson. HoS 92 features Alex Olson, who was murdered by his jealous friend. ST 1 features Alec Holland and his wife, who were scientists working on a valuable formula and killed by greedy scum..

Yes. Thanks and I realize that. I was illustrating the differences in perception we have as collectors. The 1st appearance of Wolverine v the first full appearance of Wolverine and so forth. In my view at least, Swamp Thing #1 should be far more "valuable" than it is since it is the character we are all familiar with.

I am eternally grateful to Alan Moore for addressing that fact and tying everything up so nicely. That Saga Of The Swamp Thing Moore run should have won a Pulitzer. It continually blew my head off with each subsequent issue and the last series I broke my leg for running to the Little Professor Book Shop to grab every month.

Now, we are saddled with speculators who pay large sums of money for basically hired extra characters on a movie set. Jamming the average collector with unreasonable prices for characters who haven't been given a second glance for 45 years and now must suddenly be given credence.

I suppose it doesn't matter. I LIKED the Captain Marvel character when I was a kid but didn't go out of my way to "collect 'em all", as they say. It just seems like collectors are scraping the bottom of the barrel to find new ways of making something primarily worthless valuable. It's probably just me, but as I say, I like the fact that the books have some value but resent the fact so many people have made it ALL about money and that's it. It's shallow, IMO.

On 12/31/2021 at 2:35 PM, bpc3qh said:

I'm primarily a D.C. collector at this point so I clearly don't know jack about making a profit...

Well, then you have integrity. I'm right there with you. All my books are DC except for a long box I have with a smattering of What-If's and Spectacular Spiderman etc. And those aren't worth .

Profit isn't or shouldn't be the only reason to collect books. I am a lot less interested in making money on books than I am keeping that priceless feeling of being a boy getting down with the adventures of my favorite characters. YOU are a fan and a collector. Not just someone who wants to make money and doesn't care about much else.

On 12/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, Iqc23 said:

Savage tales 1 has been raising lately but still  very undervalued.  

Most definitely agree with you here as this is a very early Marvel magazine (after the 2-issue Spectacular Spider-Man attempt) and the one that started their run of Marvel/Curtis magazines in the 70's.  :applause:

Considering its place in the Marvel magazine timeline, definitely very much an underappreciated and undervalued book with still lots of runway left to go.  :luhv:  :takeit:

On 1/1/2022 at 12:15 AM, lou_fine said:
On 12/21/2021 at 8:42 AM, Iqc23 said:

Savage tales 1 has been raising lately but still  very undervalued.  

Most definitely agree with you here as this is a very early Marvel magazine (after the 2-issue Spectacular Spider-Man attempt) and the one that started their run of Marvel/Curtis magazines in the 70's.  :applause:

Considering its place in the Marvel magazine timeline, definitely very much an underappreciated and undervalued book with still lots of runway left to go.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Agreed . . . but I sold both of my copies way too early nonetheless. :ohnoez: Even though I got top dollar at the time, I still love to have them back in my collection.

On 12/25/2021 at 10:48 PM, da.amazing.spiderman said:
Okay, I admit I have a vested interest in this speculation.  From the DC comics that will shine the brightest / be a potential multi-bagger in the coming 2 to 3 years - Wonder Woman #204 (1st Appearance of Nubia) is high on my watch list.

Why...Because there's a very strong possibility that the DCEU has BIG PLANS for Nubia and that she'll be featured prominently in the upcoming Wonder Woman #3 movie. 

For you CGC collectors, the census shows there are currently only (5) copies of WW #204 in CGC 9.8 Universal Blue out of a population of 247 graded copies.  That means just 2% of the CGC population of WW #204 are in 9.8 condition.  Which equates to a dramatic imbalance of low supply vs high demand for this puppy in the CGC 9.8 grade.

Following the path of other very scarce CGC 9.8 Bronze Age books (Marvel Spotlight #5, Heroes for Hire #1, Strange Tales #169, etc) this issue has what I hope / believe to be a bright future once the news is official about Nubia joining the DCEU.

DSC00993.JPG

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I just came across this. I agree with you here. I believe this book has the potential to become the next Shazam 28.  DC is changing things up.  Gorgeous copy by the way. 

On 1/10/2022 at 3:27 PM, eastriver31400 said:

Shazam 28.  DC is changing things up.  Gorgeous copy by the way. 

"The Rock" and the legion of Duane's fans deserve most of the credit for the book's steady rise in value the last 7-8 years. I don't get his vast popularity myself but it simply cannot be denied.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/12/2022 at 6:43 PM, MAR1979 said:

"The Rock" and the legion of Duane's fans deserve most of the credit for the book's steady rise in value the last 7-8 years. I don't get his vast popularity myself but it simply cannot be denied.

Sans maybe Tom Holland, he's the most bankable actor in Hollywood.