• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS PRIORITY SHIPPING Box selection

12 posts in this topic

The inner box most use is the one where the longest dimension is 11.something inches. The ones that are just over 12 inches won't work (the box dimensions are printed in the lower-left corner on the front/back IIRC). I've had a tough time finding them in the post office, so I'm wondering if they discontinued it. Anytime I get a slab packed this way I make sure I save the inner box. Definitely a rock-solid way of shipping slabs.

4 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

The inner box most use is the one where the longest dimension is 11.something inches. The ones that are just over 12 inches won't work (the box dimensions are printed in the lower-left corner on the front/back IIRC). I've had a tough time finding them in the post office, so I'm wondering if they discontinued it. Anytime I get a slab packed this way I make sure I save the inner box. Definitely a rock-solid way of shipping slabs.

for most usps boxes and envelopes, you can actually go on the USPS website and have them deliver those things to your house.  For free.

16 minutes ago, revat said:

for most usps boxes and envelopes, you can actually go on the USPS website and have them deliver those things to your house.  For free.

For 1092s and 1095s you have to; those aren't items generally stocked by local post offices.

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

For 1092s and 1095s you have to; those aren't items generally stocked by local post offices.

Pretty much all of the packaging I use now is not. Legal size mailers, Tyvek and bubble mailers as well.

Nice to just have it arrive at your door for free though. :grin:

16 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I don't use two boxes (may have to try it).

One 1095 box. As others said, go to USPS website and order 25 for free. And they ship it to you free. Can't beat that!

Corrugated 10" x 15" cardboard rectangles from U-line, which I cut down to 10" by 13.75" (I'm way too lazy to go hunting for free cardboard).

Slab is in a mylar type sleeve, and I tape all 4 sides of slab to larger cardboard rectangle (the 10" by 13.75)"

Use roll of bubble wrap from Walmart (All books together with cardboard, then I wrap with bubble wrap about six times length wise and two time width wise. Then rolled up bubble wrap added as cushion to sides to fill any empty spaces). Never measured how many packages I can wrap with one roll, but quite a few.

I like Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Tape

Oh, and I use a Gerber EAB Pocket Knife [22-41830] with LENOX Gold Utility Knife Blades, 50 Pack, 20351GOLD50D from Amazon. This baby slices through cardboard so easily it is scary.

Edited by icefires
r