• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #14 opinions?

22 posts in this topic

It might be the fact that it's a cose-up photo and the flash was used. Those 2 things will pick up or highlight minute flaws that would normally be imperceptable.

Actually, the gloss and cover colors are the best part of the book. smile.gif

For some reason when I upload pictures, they come out duller and with a haze. I can't figure out how to bring out gloss in a photo while still eliminating the glare.

I think I should just give up and get a scanner. mad.gif

Yeah you may wanna get a scanner. Are both the bindery corners rounded or fuzzy? I can't see if there's spine stress but there looks like there might be a couple of non-color breaking spine marks? Can't see the very top of the book at all.

Brian

The top left corner is fuzzy due to minor wear. The bottom left is VERY slightly blunted. The other corners are sharp.

Along the top of the book is just about the same as the bottom. The overflash/over hang is in good shape, but is lightly impacted above and slightly to the right(your right) of the "G" in the title. You can hardly see it without angling the book just right.

This one is very nice. Could be anywhere in the 9.0 - 9.2 range. Only flaws I see are the left corners, that you already mentioned, some kinda stain (spotting) on the comics code stamp and the writing in pencil which is no big deal. Very nice. Thinking of getting it CGC'd?

I've been trying to figure out what the spot in the comics code is. It almost looks as if a speckle of coffee landed on it at some point.

I'm not likely sending it in or selling it. It's part of my unslabbed ASM run, and replacing it raw in a similar grade would not be an easy task.

Is that foxing in the code box?

If it isn't the book looks like a solid 9.0 to me, if the back is as nice as the front.

If there is some foxing present then the grade would be lower, are there any brown spots on the inside of the front cover?

I doubt its foxing. There's no indication of it on the inside of the front cover. It looks like a surface stain, like a spot of coffee or something. The back is clean and matches the front.

It looks to be more of a light surface scratch. When looking at the book itself, it's very hard to see. It's also hard to see on the pic, but a little easier because it is blown up. You have good eyes.

Damn slanted photo tongue.gif

Hmm...If I just could dream that it's a real scan instead of slanted picture....

"focusing real hard"

Hey...waitaminute...this works...mindblowing

ASM14top.jpg

asm14bottom.jpg

There's something strange in top right corner ?

Maybe 8.5 or 9.0 ?

Ok now that I can see the top right corner it certainly isn't half as bad as I thought. Still IMO a VF 8.0 maybe an 8.5 but the bottom looks rough and the bindary corners are rounded. A slight mark in the top overflash as well..and of course, whatever that stuff is in the TRC.

Brian