• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Last DC Newsstand Issues
2 2

128 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, darkstar said:

For the books I'm talking about it definitely does. The number of transactions involving DC or Marvel newsstands from their final years of publishing aren't anywhere close to those involving direct editions, neither are the number of listings.

No.

I posted this elsewhere, but I guess it needs to be here, too.

TimeFlow.thumb.jpg.1e8de3318b2b4d5125fc5a3f0f262fea.jpg

This represents the location of copies of an average issue over time.

1 is at the point of initial distribution, 2 is months later, and 3 is years later.

It should nearly always be significantly more difficult to find Newsstand back issues available for purchase, especially the closer you are to the off-sale date.

I realize the graphic is intended to be simplified and the most common case.

But that said, there is a sizable quantity of inventory that remains at Diamond undistributed for months and months after most books are released. For every Batman Damned that sells through at Diamond completely the first week of distribution, there are two dozen titles that Diamond carries in inventory for 4-6 months, and more than a handful that it will still have in inventory more than a year after publication.

Here are the oldest in-stock matches for a casual search of "Batman" and "Spawn" just for example. Showing issues that came out 4-5 YEARS ago that are still available to be ordered.

438637834_ScreenShot2018-11-27at5_44_44PM.thumb.png.40bf8f746a079bb5f71876e6b5c10561.png1437622966_ScreenShot2018-11-27at5_43_06PM.thumb.png.fc8acba78cef47bdf22a169f01be2fa2.png

I can't even imagine just how much "back issue" inventory is sitting in the Diamond warehouses.

Edited by lighthouse

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

No.

I posted this elsewhere, but I guess it needs to be here, too.

TimeFlow.thumb.jpg.1e8de3318b2b4d5125fc5a3f0f262fea.jpg

This represents the location of copies of an average issue over time.

1 is at the point of initial distribution, 2 is months later, and 3 is years later.

It should nearly always be significantly more difficult to find Newsstand back issues available for purchase, especially the closer you are to the off-sale date.

I have no idea what that atrocious graphic is attempting to say but what you wrote is agreeing with what I already said. The market depth for newsstand issues is significantly more shallow than that of direct editions. I don't really care how many newsstand editions are tucked away compared to direct editions if they never come up for sale. And they rarely do compared to their direct edition counterparts, so here we are. 

On 11/27/2018 at 6:59 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

I noticed that since about the year 2000 (very roughly) a lot of copies ended up in Venezuela with a distribution sticker on top of them.  When my friend was gathering up newsstand issues for me from that era, every single one of them (there were about 10 of them) had the sticker on there.   I will post a photo of that distribution sticker as soon as I can.

Here's the photo of the sticker that came on a newsstand copy of Detective 806 from a friend in Venezuela.    I have at least 5 other newsstand issues from the same era with the exact same sticker on them.   The countries listed on the sticker are Columbia, Venezuela, and a few other countries in that vicinity.  

1750715344_TEC806withvenezuelasticker.thumb.jpg.e5415a9b7875a5e9e6e11cc191fcde10.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 11/27/2018 at 6:26 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

I wonder how and why newsstand copies were ending up in Venezuela or Germany....very interesting...

Since Kirk talked about the Venezuela issues I felt obliged to solve the mystery about the Germany ones.

The ones Kirk got from me I bought from a lady who got them from her boyfriend. Her boyfriend is a soldier who had a subscription at a comic shop in Mannheim. Most issues I got are direct editions, the newsstand ones the soldier bought in the countries he currently was stationed.

Some newsstand issues have stickers on them, and I think I read "Singapore" on some stickers. The books from one month were in worse condition than all the other months. When I asked her why, she said "He had them in Afghanistan".

So that's it, have fun !

Archi

Edited by archivist

On 2/20/2018 at 7:27 AM, Joosh said:

Kirk, I’m one those 3 or 4 people who appreciate and understand what you did and why. I’m currently hunting down all the last marvel newsstands. If you have any 2011-2013 marvel newsstands I’m buying. ? 

your runs are definitely second to none and something to take pride in. I mentioned before I think such a complete and high grade run as you’ve amassed has the makings of a pedigree in the future as these books age.

I bought 162 2013 Newsstand editions from a guy at a flea market style show. Almost all are Marvels, and lots of duplicates. From memory, there were a bunch of Avenging Spider-Man, Fearless Defenders, A+X, Uncanny X-Men, Superior Spider-Man, and loads of others. The dealer had at least another 100 or so for sale but I didn't have enough cash on me to buy more

I haven't been posting much lately but here are a few of the latest members of my NS collection. Though admittedly, I've been buying Bronze lately now that NS editions are becoming so much harder to find. Funny thing about that, I've heard the theory that when the price of newsstands goes up, hoarders around the world will sell their collections en masse and we will be flooded with them. Haven't seen any sign of that yet, more the reverse.

Det Simp.jpg

On 11/6/2022 at 11:43 PM, paqart said:

I haven't been posting much lately but here are a few of the latest members of my NS collection. Though admittedly, I've been buying Bronze lately now that NS editions are becoming so much harder to find. Funny thing about that, I've heard the theory that when the price of newsstands goes up, hoarders around the world will sell their collections en masse and we will be flooded with them. Haven't seen any sign of that yet, more the reverse.

Det Simp.jpg

Nice.   Those late Detectives are especially hard to find.   I wonder if @Lifesuggs found any of the Catwoman (2002 series) newsstand issues ?

On 11/7/2022 at 7:03 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

Nice.   Those late Detectives are especially hard to find.   I wonder if @Lifesuggs found any of the Catwoman (2002 series) newsstand issues ?

We'll see. They are not easy to locate. Something else I'd like to get in newsstand are the Jonah Hex issues with Darwyn cooke covers. I've never seen any of them but have a couple other JH issues in newsstand, so I assume they exist.

On 11/6/2022 at 9:07 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

I giving this thread a bump because a friend of mine, @paqart, is looking for all the newsstand issues of Catwoman (2002) series.   Impressive goal.   Can anyone produce some images?

You know I look for those just to see and I never see them. First time I do I will post them.
Young Avengers same deal. I know there has to newsstands, but I have only found issue 12 thats it. 

On 11/6/2022 at 10:40 PM, paqart said:

I bought 162 2013 Newsstand editions from a guy at a flea market style show. Almost all are Marvels, and lots of duplicates. From memory, there were a bunch of Avenging Spider-Man, Fearless Defenders, A+X, Uncanny X-Men, Superior Spider-Man, and loads of others. The dealer had at least another 100 or so for sale but I didn't have enough cash on me to buy more

I found this one a few weeks back and I am positive all never find another one. Its not a main title so the print run was
nothing to begin with.

asmhooky.thumb.jpg.ad3e6ccb6833bb6338dd6486de774760.jpg

Edited by fastballspecial

On 11/8/2022 at 4:58 PM, paqart said:

We'll see. They are not easy to locate. Something else I'd like to get in newsstand are the Jonah Hex issues with Darwyn cooke covers. I've never seen any of them but have a couple other JH issues in newsstand, so I assume they exist.

I have a few after the Cooke covers so I’d have to assume they do exist 

7-12 are confirmed for Young Avengers, with most available in quantity on Ebay, but none to be found from 1-6, either current or completed. Mile High doesn't list any.

Could the title have been a newsstand title for just those last 6 months of the Volume 1 run? Did all regular Marvel Superheroes titles get newsstand editions in 2005? 

On 11/24/2022 at 4:37 AM, jdandns said:

7-12 are confirmed for Young Avengers, with most available in quantity on Ebay, but none to be found from 1-6, either current or completed. Mile High doesn't list any.

Could the title have been a newsstand title for just those last 6 months of the Volume 1 run? Did all regular Marvel Superheroes titles get newsstand editions in 2005? 

Seems issue 11 seems to have a decent amount of like 6 or 7 copies the rest are a couple of copies or less. I think the only copy I found was 10 or 12 can't remember. It's possible but I doubt they skipped it but only way to know is compate month to month. I am pretty positive marvel ran newsstands all year. So the question remains if YA had  before issue 6.

Edited by fastballspecial