• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charlton Romance
5 5

120 posts in this topic

What a great thread @Crimebuster

I start with Charlton romance here:

Nice to see Charlton getting some attention around here. I think the early 60's books are great :cloud9:

These are really Bronze books, but I just finished reading Just Married #93-101, which includes a 9-part serial detailing the romance between David and Eileen. As the cover of #93 says, "Should a Jewish boy and an Irish girl fall in love?"

By Irish, they mean Catholic. ALmost every issue has a story that revolves around the difficulties in a mixed-faith marriage, especially for 1973. 

Some of the stuff is really well handled, surprisingly well considering some of the other stories printed in these issues. There are some really good issues where they both consider converting to the other's religion, or have difficulties over deciding whether or not to celebrate Christmas, etc. It's a stark contrast with the other stories appearing in these issues, which consistently have the recurring theme that women shouldn't work, and will be happier as homemakers. And multiple stories where the guy is flirting and messing around with other women, so then the gal does the same to make him jealous, and it works too well, but he proves how manly and in love he is by laying down the law with her, which is all she wanted. #94 and #95 have some truly egregious stories, one of which involves the guy spanking his wife to teach her a lesson. 

But the David and Eileen stories are much more nuanced at times. And the art is really good. It's credited to A. Martinez on pencils and J. Zuniga on inks; don't know who those people are, but it has a very South American or Filipino sketchiness to it that is really different and excellent. 

I should also say that I'm really coming to appreciate Art Capello. I think his later work is actually better than his earlier work. It feels like over the years, he gets simpler and more bold, less detailed and sketchy. More design elements. This may sound crazy, but there's almost a touch of Alex Toth in some of his work. #101 has a really nice cover by him, but the interior work is even better. 

This Charlton comic is expensive and coveted even by non-comic-collectors because the cover and interior story features a once-popular beat combo. I'm sure they feel conned once they open the comic up. The story, near the back of the book, features just one fleeting panel that mentions the Fab Four.

Summer Love 47.jpg

panel.jpg

On 2/1/2021 at 6:35 PM, sagii said:

Bronze, i know but feel it'll fit here more than on the Gold Thread

Just Married #104.jpeg

This is my favorite! Your copy looks to have a pretty clean strike. I have 8 copies so far and it's clear that sometime during the printing process, the plates started shifting, because most copies are slightly blurry, and to varying degrees. I have a couple that are clean but then they slowly slide to more and more blurry. 

31 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

This is my favorite! Your copy looks to have a pretty clean strike. I have 8 copies so far and it's clear that sometime during the printing process, the plates started shifting, because most copies are slightly blurry, and to varying degrees. I have a couple that are clean but then they slowly slide to more and more blurry. 

Wow, I'm always amazed by which particular books a collector likes to 'hoard'. :applause:

Didn't know that about this one on the color strike issue. it came on my radar as one to have in my romance stash (though I primarily collect 50's Romance issues, ialso have a few 60's)because i hear it's believed to be an interracial kiss cover. 

I had this VG+ copy on my watch list while it was seemingly cheap... would be good enough for the collection if won at a bargain price. It had a bidding surge at the end, making the VF/NM copy with a BIN on my watch list all of a sudden a no-brainer. 

0146F0B8-3EDF-40FF-ACC4-D27309BA2E45.jpeg