• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's COBRA KAI starring Ralph Macchio, William Zabka (2021)
2 2

322 posts in this topic

As a martial artist and not some McDojo martial artist I have to say the fight choreography in last ep is top notch.  I've done some karate skit videos and its not so easy even if you can do a lot of techniques, making a choreography out of it.  In sparring there's no choreography.

I think the magic recipe in this show is the characters are always experiencing change-swinging from bad to good to bad, having internal struggles.  other shows the characters dont experience change-they just have episodes with events.  this really is a one off series.

Spoiler

When Kreese had a moment of conscience and interrupted Silver who was telling Tory to cheat and he told Tory to do what she wanted-that was a great example.

As an interesting footnote, the creators of Cobra Kai, Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz, and Hayden Schlossberg, were signed by Sony Pictures Television for a four-year deal last September. Included in that deal is exploring the expansion of the Karate Kid and Cobra Kai universe with spinoffs and other offshoots, akin to what Breaking Bad did with Better Call Saul and El Camino

The creators are tight lipped about what might come, but maybe there will be spinoffs based on other characters in the franchise, or perhaps even feature films. After the Vietnam flashbacks last season, perhaps a prequel series about a young Kreese, or even a young Miyagi might work. After fans were saddened when Aisha (Nichole Brown) was written out, she made a small cameo in Season Four. That may have appeased the fans, but could she carry her own series? And we’d love to see more of Ali (Elizabeth Shue) but that’s just because many longtime fans are still crushing on her.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/cobra-kai-season-4-ending-explained/

On 1/3/2022 at 3:50 PM, Bosco685 said:

That is fantastic!

:roflmao:

Did you figure out what kreese's weakness was?

Spoiler

Overestimating his influence on students-happened with johnny, happened with silver.

On 1/5/2022 at 1:57 PM, Randall Dowling said:

This series is the epitome of "It's so bad, it's good".  Unfortunately, it's starting to run out of steam as there are only so many characters from the original movies and they've used up most of them.

I'm calling Hillary Swank in the next season for the win.  :acclaim:

Lol. That's exactly what I say to my wife when she complains how bad it is. I still can't turn away or stop binging it. It's so awfully good. Is the actor that played Sato alive? Be cool to bring the Yakuza into it. :roflmao:

Its bad in one way but in another it is a sterling example of screenplay writing.  So many movies and shows fail to follow the rules.  

THR: How did you initially become involved in the Cobra Kai series?

PWH: I got a call from my reps telling me that the creators had seen I, Tonya and had a character for me in season two. I hadn’t watched Cobra Kai, but it sounded like some schlocky revival idea. But, I dug the creators’ [Jon Hurwitz, Josh Heald and Hayden Schlossberg] Harold and Kumar films and Hot Tub Time Machine. On the ride to lunch to meet them, I watched the first three episodes of Cobra Kai on my iPad. I was so hooked that I showed up 10 minutes late to the meeting just to finish an episode. We ate Mexican food and endlessly quoted the film Dirty Work and talked of our admiration for John Goodman in The Big Lebowski. That was it. The show was good, they were cool. And they bought me nachos.

THR: Did you know Raymond (Stingray) was coming back for season four, or were you just as surprised when you got the call?

PWH: Josh, Jon and Hayden offered me season three in early August 2019, but I had already committed to doing Cruella for Disney. So, I had to pass and hope they might let me come back in the future. I was grateful they did. The show understands its tone and characters intimately. Cobra Kai has smart people doing silly things — which I can’t get enough of.