• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

As a collector with intention to upgrade/trade later, should I be buying higher grade books?

6 posts in this topic

I've been an off and on collector since the early nineties and I've always (and still do) collect for myself. I'm not a speculator by any means, but I have been thinking about upgrading some of my issues and I'm wondering if I shouldn't be buying higher grade copies up front for situations where I want to e.g. sell 2 lesser books to buy some dream book of mine.

I ask because I've noticed that, at least sometimes, higher grade copies appreciate at a greater rate then mid-low grade copies. Technically I could afford e.g. a IH181 @ 9.8, but it would be a silly thing for me to spend that much money on. However, when faced with the decision to buy a 6.5 or an 8.0, or a 9.0... well I'm not sure. If the 6.5 presents well I'm more than happy as a collector, but am I missing out on value 5+ years down the road? I guess the answer is "it depends", but I'm wondering if other collectors have thought about this more than I have.

Edited by SilverSniper

1 hour ago, SilverSniper said:

I've been an off and on collector since the early nineties and I've always (and still do) collect for myself. I'm not a speculator by any means, but I have been thinking about upgrading some of my issues and I'm wondering if I shouldn't be buying higher grade copies up front for situations where I want to e.g. sell 2 lesser books to buy some dream book of mine.

I ask because I've noticed that, at least sometimes, higher grade copies appreciate at a greater rate then mid-low grade copies. Technically I could afford e.g. a IH181 @ 9.8, but it would be a silly thing for me to spend that much money on. However, when faced with the decision to buy a 6.5 or an 8.0, or a 9.0... well I'm not sure. If the 6.5 presents well I'm more than happy as a collector, but am I missing out on value 5+ years down the road? I guess the answer is "it depends", but I'm wondering if other collectors have thought about this more than I have.

IMO, if it's a key, buy the highest grade you can afford. It will appreciate more than a lower grade. 

I think it depends a little bit on your preferences of ROI vs absolute profits.

you buy a $500 book now in lower grade it might be worth $1000 10 Years from now.  But the $4000 version might be worth $6000 Years from now.

Of course it’s all speculation