Ranking the best superhero movies of all time

129 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2022 at 11:45 PM, alexgross.com said:

i couldn't find a thread devoted to BATMAN BEGINS, but having just re-watched it, i personally think it is one of the best superhero films ever made, if not the best one. it's still incredibly influential on everything that has come since, in both the dcu and mcu, in terms of its tone, style, and storytelling. absolutely fantastic film.

i also noticed that the actor who played king geoffrey in GOT was in batman begins as a little kid. 

Batman Begins is nearly as-underrated as Man of Steel. They're both phenomenal origin stories for the 2 biggest-name superheroes in the world.

On 7/6/2022 at 12:33 PM, D84 said:

My top 20

1. Batman Begins
  2. Captain America: the Winter Soldier
  3. The Dark Knight
  4. Zack Snyder's Justice League
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy
  6. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
  7. The Crow
  8. Iron Man
  9. Batman Returns
  10. Hellboy
  11. Logan
  12. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
  13. The Avengers
  14. Black Panther
  15. Thor
  16. Superman II
  17. Spider-man
  18. X2: X-Men United
  19. X-Men
  20. Batman (1989)

The bottom 5. One is the worst 

1. Thor: Ragnarok
  2. Captain America (1990)
  3. Batman and Robin
  4. Superman IV: the Quest for Peace
  5. Captain Marvel

ZSJL and BvS Top 20, but no MoS? I personally consider MoS the best of the 3.

Posted (edited)

I didn't see a list posted by myself in this thread before, so this is how I rank the top CBMs right now:

1. Man of Steel
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. Avengers: Infinity War
  4. Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition)
  5. Zack Snyder's Justice League
  6. The Avengers
  7. Watchmen (Director's Cut)
  8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  9. Iron Man
  10. Batman Begins
  11. Logan
  12. Guardians of the Galaxy
  13. 300
  14. Spider-Man 2
  15. Spider-Man
  16. The Dark Knight Rises
  17. Avengers: Endgame
  18. Doctor Strange
  19. Spider-Man: No Way Home
  20. X2
  21. X-Men
  22. Deadpool
  23. The Punisher
  24. The Crow
  25. Blade

I consider animated films to be a different genre, so they were not considered for this list.

Edit: I did not expect ZSJL to end up in my Top 5. I put the list together from consideration of, "how excited would I be to re-watch this in comparison to what I already have written down", and this is the order I came up with.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 7/7/2022 at 6:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

ZSJL and BvS Top 20, but no MoS? I personally consider MoS the best of the 3.

I knew I forgot one. I'll go adjust my list.

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2022 at 11:42 AM, Straw-Man said:

it's your opinion, and to each their own.  but, do you honestly think the punisher is better than supe 1?  i'll accept that, as some think pepsi is better than coke, but my hope is you forgot...

I would rather re-watch The Punisher than Superman, yes. If Man of Steel didn't exist, Superman (+ possibly Superman II) would make my list. Admittedly, I haven't watched any of the Reeve movies in a decade or so. Maybe your comment prompts a re-watch.

Edit: It's basically the same situation with Bale's and Keaton's Batman. Batman and Batman Returns are good, but since I think a newer series did it better, I don't have much inkling to watch the 20th century ones.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 7/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would rather re-watch The Punisher than Superman, yes. If Man of Steel didn't exist, Superman (+ possibly Superman II) would make my list. Admittedly, I haven't watched any of the Reeve movies in a decade or so. Maybe your comment prompts a re-watch.

Edit: It's basically the same situation with the Bale's and Keaton's Batman. Batman and Batman Returns are good, but since I think a newer series did it better, I don't have much inkling to watch the 20th century ones.

would this concept not result in logan bumping the first 2 x-flicks?

On 7/7/2022 at 11:50 AM, Straw-Man said:

would this concept not result in logan bumping the first 2 x-flicks?

No, because Logan didn't feature any of the other X-Men but Xavier. Magneto is my favorite X-Men character of all-time. The newer movies like First Class, DofP, or Apocalypse (!!!) would have had to do it.

Apocalypse was one of the biggest let-downs I have experienced, with regards to movies. Pretty much on-par with Josstice League. I wanted those movies to be made for about 20 years, and they sucked when they finally came to theaters.