• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance: Batman who laughs???

126 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Just curious, but has the market REALLY decided that TT 12 is the 1st app of BMWL? Or, is this simply a supply and demand thing? Meaning, because there was a much lower print run on TT 12, its value is higher than DNM 2, and it just gained momentum as the "1st" appearance simply due to relative value?

How do you ever determine what the market has decided? Value, right? Which one costs more today?

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

There you go again, putting words out that I did not say.

In your previous post in response to philipbk2k17 you literally wrote that the market decided the character's first appearance was TT12 because it commands the most money. Do you need it read back to you?

5 minutes ago, darkstar said:

In your previous post in response to philipbk2k17 you literally wrote that the market decided the character's first appearance was TT12 because it commands the most money. Do you need it read back to you?

Yes, "the Maket" has decided that. Then read my response to you....sheesh.

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Ah, had my issues mixed up. At any rate, you see the similarity. Not surprising that ASM was chosen over MTU though.

Interesting, I forgot about this as well as I have not collected A S-M on a "regular" basis since around 2005, only "key" issues. Unfortunately, the "real" MTU died long ago.

5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

No, the market decided on ASM #252 over MTU #141, even though they both came out on exactly the same day (I have a specific memory of this when I went to buy them at my local comic shop, and recall having that exact discussion. The Shop was limiting how many copies of ASM 252 you could buy, but not #MTU 141). Secret Wars 8, however, would "come first in the reading order."

Well, either your memory sucks or your store sucked, because ASM 252 came out weeks before any other black costume appearance.

I have a very clear memory of going to my local comic shop and seeing both MTU 141 & ASM 252 on the display at the same time. The shop was limiting the number of ASM 252 copies you could buy. 

If ASM 252 came out weeks earlier, then it would have been sold out and they would not have had both available. 

I remember having a conversation with my shop proprietor about the discrepancy. He didn’t understand why one was considered “first,” while the other wasn’t either. 

I think we’d have to see some direct market release date records to resolve this. But CGC accepts them as being “tied,” so that’s sufficient. 

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I have a very clear memory of going to my local comic shop and seeing both MTU 141 & ASM 252 on the display at the same time. The shop was limiting the number of ASM 252 copies you could buy. 

If ASM 252 came out weeks earlier, then it would have been sold out and they would not have had both available. 

I remember having a conversation with my shop proprietor about the discrepancy. He didn’t understand why one was considered “first,” while the other wasn’t either. 

I think we’d have to see some direct market release date records to resolve this. But CGC accepts them as being “tied,” so that’s sufficient. 

ASM #252

MTU #141

SW #8