• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance: Batman who laughs???

126 posts in this topic

Slightly off-topic, but here is something I've been considering...

If TT12 is the 1st FULL Appearance of BWL, what are the 1st FULL Appearances of the other Dark Knights? Fandom claims DNM2 for a few of them and The Casting for the others. Only problem with that, is they list The Casting as the 1st for BWL, so idk how reliable I feel they are as a source... 

So, does anyone have any thoughts/clarifications on the other Dark Knights??

10 minutes ago, markanthonymartinez said:

I'm late to the party but for me Dark Days: The Casting #1 is the 1st appearance as a cameo of BWL. DNM#1 would be another cameo and TT#12 is the 1st full appearance.

Can't tell what's what in that one page. Yea, maybe you could make a case, but nobody's buying into that one.

8 hours ago, markanthonymartinez said:

I'm late to the party but for me Dark Days: The Casting #1 is the 1st appearance as a cameo of BWL. DNM#1 would be another cameo and TT#12 is the 1st full appearance.

For what they're worth, all the online wiki sites are in agreement with you. They all have Dark Days: The Casting #1 as BWL's & all the other Dark Knights' first appearance. 

2 hours ago, kairos70 said:

For what they're worth, all the online wiki sites are in agreement with you. They all have Dark Days: The Casting #1 as BWL's & all the other Dark Knights' first appearance. 

Is this the panel from Dark Days: The Casting #1 you're referring to?  Because that is 100% not a first appearance.  Back in the day, this is what would have been referred to as a "Cameo in shadow".  This isn't even a 1st full cameo.  The 1st appearance is either Dark Nights Metal #2 or Teen Titans #12 and which you believe is dependent on your stance in 1st appearances in general.  Those who believe a one panel appearance is a cameo believe Dark Nights Metal #2 to be the 1st full cameo and Teen Titans #12 to be the 1st full appearance.  Those who believe a full panel appearance constitutes a 1st appearance (a la Incredible Hulk #180 and Amazing Spider-Man #299) believe Dark Nights Metal #2 to be the 1st appearance.  Where it gets gray is the fact that the BWL's appears in full panel on the 2nd to last page and then his mouth appears as the final panel in Dark Nights Metal #2.  Some believe the fact that he appears in some shape or form in more than one panel constitutes a 1st appearance.  Scott Snyder himself has even said that Dark Nights Metal #2 is the 1st appearance.  That should pretty much be the be all/end all since he's the writer, but somehow the argument endures.

[IMG]

Edited by ExNihilo

On 3/12/2018 at 7:15 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

So, you're saying Hulk #180 is the true first appearance of Wolverine? I've been making this argument for years but the market has decided otherwise.

Absolutely, you can say that Hulk #180 is literally the first appearance of Wolverine. The value of 180 vs 181 doesn't change that. Is there an image of Wolverine in #180? Yes? And does 180 come before 181?  

However, I've never followed the hobby's guidelines or market trends. When I used to collect, First appearance was the literal First appearance of a character, even if it was in an ad outside of the story. That's what was important to me and I HAD to have the actual first time that character was printed and published. Value was never a consideration when I was ten. 

Edited by Oddball

Well, now that Snyder / Jock announced at SDCC their Batman Who Laughs 6-issue mini coming out in November, I assume attention will pick back up in the coming months. Interested to see where Snyder takes this, and given it's supposed to be in continuity, what the ramifications will be of the Dark Multiverse going forward.

http://boundingintocomics.com/2018/07/20/scott-snyder-reveals-the-batman-who-laughs-miniseries-at-san-diego-comic-con/

On 8/13/2018 at 10:37 AM, CKinTO said:

Well, now that Snyder / Jock announced at SDCC their Batman Who Laughs 6-issue mini coming out in November, I assume attention will pick back up in the coming months. Interested to see where Snyder takes this, and given it's supposed to be in continuity, what the ramifications will be of the Dark Multiverse going forward.

http://boundingintocomics.com/2018/07/20/scott-snyder-reveals-the-batman-who-laughs-miniseries-at-san-diego-comic-con/

Didn’t know about this. Thanks for the link. 

17 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

It is a dream.  I still think that is the first appearance though.  It came out before everything else.

Again, that image counts as shadow.  If you're counting shadows as first appearances, then the image from Dark Days: The Casting precedes Metal #1.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:58 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I'm "going" with DNM 2; now where did I place those copies of TT 12?

I still have not found the 12; and it is no laughing matter :smile:.