• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you determine "significant" spinal wear?

11 posts in this topic

I just purchased Infinity Gauntlet 1-6 on eBay and having received them today, I am afraid I may have been misinformed as to the condition of the comics. The seller description claimed that these comics were "near mint," and as "close to mint" as possible, considering the age of the comics. I wasn't under the impression that these would be in pristine, mint condition, but the spinal wear on about half of the comics is considerable, i.e. it is noticeable at first glance, and although I am not a professional grader, I would consider this to be significant. So my question is, what would "significant" or "considerable" spinal wear amount to in your opinions for comics of this age, and how detrimental might this be with regard to the value of these comics? Thank you in advance for your insights.

Pictures/scans of the comics would be helpful... also a link to the completed auction.

In general, I would expect any comic advertised as a NM to have negligible spine wear. Maybe 1 to 3 noticeable, small spine ticks at most given that the rest of the book (corners, cover gloss, interior, etc.) are without many (if any)flaws as well. 

There are a few pictures of issue 1 and 6 as you requested. As you can see, issue 1 has considerably more wear on the spine than issue 6. These two had the most wear, and although the rest of the comic seems to be in great shape, these are the issues that led me to seek your input. Thank you again for your knowledge, time, and insight. 

3 hours ago, DeraconGouny said:

I don't believe you got what you paid for. These are not Near Mint. Get your money back. Sorry.

Yeah those are not near mint. I just yanked my copy of that book which has been kicked around since I bought it in a comic shop as a kid (ok I was careful as a kid, but still) and it doesn't have nearly as much spine wear as yours does. It does have some scuffing, black book, tough to prevent, but mind is nicer. I'd return it.  Him calling them mint in the description is... ignorant at best.

Edited by SilverSniper

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I don't believe you got what you paid for. These are not Near Mint. Get your money back. Sorry.

+1

The only other completed auction that the seller has received positive feedback for is a Black Panther #1 that was advertised as NM was, imo, overgraded as well.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I am requesting to send them back. I am very much an amateur when it comes to grading, but I don't see how anyone could consider these near mint. I appreciate your input tremendously as I wanted to make sure I wasn't simply wallowing in buyer's remorse or overthinking the spinal wear. 

1 hour ago, DeraconGouny said:

Thanks guys. Yeah, I am requesting to send them back. I am very much an amateur when it comes to grading, but I don't see how anyone could consider these near mint. I appreciate your input tremendously as I wanted to make sure I wasn't simply wallowing in buyer's remorse or overthinking the spinal wear. 

Hope the return goes smooth, just say the items were not as described. To enhance your grading skills, try following the Please Grade My Thread, known as the PGM thread here on the Boards. To be honest, with the pics often supplied on E-Bay, it is difficult to see certain flaws and most stated grades are usually exaggerated. So purchase mistakes will still happen but it helps to be able to ascertain grade yourself.