• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To grade or not to grade

5 posts in this topic

I have Marvel Black Panther #1 through 7 comics. All are in (my opinion) Near mint condition. They were never removed from their bags after we bought them. Should I get them graded? Same goes for some old Action comics and The Joker ones. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, jomar said:

I have Marvel Black Panther #1 through 7 comics. All are in (my opinion) Near mint condition. They were never removed from their bags after we bought them. Should I get them graded? Same goes for some old Action comics and The Joker ones. Thanks.

If they are indeed high grade, then grade them. But that's the rub, you have to be sure. My advice, get a CGC membership and use your free credit to get a few graded and see what happens. If they don't grade out like you thought, you have not wasted a lot of money.

or you can take pictures and post them on the boards here in the 'Please Grade My Comic' section and get some free opinions.

Also, it might matter which series we're talking about (like the age of the comics). 70's?  GOOD.  90's?  LESS GOOD

Also, they don't come in bags originally.  So being in a bag may not mean as much as you think.  (I could be wrong, but its a common mistake some people make)

You could pre-screen for a certain grade or higher if you have more books to sub.  Not sure what the minimum is now - seems like it was 50?  If you don't have that many, possibly partner up or send them for a press to someone like @joeypost and he will combine them with others to meet the minimum I believe.

Just another option.  But do the math, see what a 9.8, 9.6, 9.4, etc are selling for using GPA or just checking sites like EBay or Heritage through their free archives then calculate the cost of grading, shipping to and from to see where you may land.  

Good luck.

1 hour ago, revat said:

or you can take pictures and post them on the boards here in the 'Please Grade My Comic' section and get some free opinions.

Always a good option since that's what it was meant for....good luck! 

(high quality pics help)

here is the link for people to grade it for you:

Link to forum post

Edited by DjMartini
link for grading forum