• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eternals - 1976 series (Marvel Bronze Age) CLUB
4 4

193 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2021 at 10:54 PM, Underground44 said:

I think that now that The Eternals are such an integral part of the MCU, they will only go up for a while yet so I will wait and see. I think they are massively undervalued.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:51 AM, rexinnih said:

Agree they are undervalued. And I love the Kirby covers also!!

Based upon virtually all of the overwhelmingly negative reviews which I have been reading about the Eternals, it almost sounds like it's Inhumans TV series which was pretty much of a bomb for Marvel.  :(

So, unless you think the Inhumans related books were also undervalued, not sure what this is going to do for the price of Eternals related books going forward?  Since I've still got the entire run as I never got around to slabbing them, I hope they don't crash right through the floor on the way down which seems to be the trend for most movie and TV hype books.  As long as they don't go below my purcahse price, I guess I really can't complain too much though.  :wishluck:

On 11/4/2021 at 6:28 PM, lou_fine said:

Based upon virtually all of the overwhelmingly negative reviews which I have been reading about the Eternals, it almost sounds like it's Inhumans TV series which was pretty much of a bomb for Marvel.  :(

So, unless you think the Inhumans related books were also undervalued, not sure what this is going to do for the price of Eternals related books going forward?  Since I've still got the entire run as I never got around to slabbing them, I hope they don't crash right through the floor on the way down which seems to be the trend for most movie and TV hype books.  As long as they don't go below my purcahse price, I guess I really can't complain too much though.  :wishluck:

My personal opinion is that the movie has been unnecessarily panned by critics who are paid to review things but really don’t get what the general public are looking for. I think that the books will gradually increase in value and I’ll definitely be holding mine (btw I only have CGC 9.2’s of #1 and #2 so I’m not heavily invested) because the Eternals aren’t going away. I had low expectations and nearly didn’t go and see it but I LOVED it. ‘Ordinary’ people who like to be entertained and like Marvel films will love it I think.

On 11/4/2021 at 3:00 AM, Underground44 said:

My personal opinion is that the movie has been unnecessarily panned by critics who are paid to review things but really don’t get what the general public are looking for. I think that the books will gradually increase in value and I’ll definitely be holding mine (btw I only have CGC 9.2’s of #1 and #2 so I’m not heavily invested) because the Eternals aren’t going away. I had low expectations and nearly didn’t go and see it but I LOVED it. ‘Ordinary’ people who like to be entertained and like Marvel films will love it I think.

I haven't seen it yet, but you have to think back to when the MCU introduced Captain America, Thor, etc. The first movies in the story-line usually aren't the best, but they are needed to build the character(s). I have no doubt that the Eternals (or at least single characters from the Eternals) will be integral parts of the MCU over the next few years. Whether that is from another Eternals movie or the individual characters playing major roles in other MCU story-lines.

On 11/4/2021 at 12:28 AM, lou_fine said:

So, unless you think the Inhumans related books were also undervalued, not sure what this is going to do for the price of Eternals related books going forward?  Since I've still got the entire run as I never got around to slabbing them, I hope they don't crash right through the floor on the way down which seems to be the trend for most movie and TV hype books.  As long as they don't go below my purchase price, I guess I really can't complain too much though.  :wishluck:

I bought the entire series - all 20 books - at cover price from the racks of 7-11 back when they came out (total cost - $6.25). Most of them are in 8.5 shape or better with a few that are more like 7.0s based on my grading at the last re-bagging/boarding.

No plans to get them graded or sell them.

It feels like some people get way over concerned about valuation these days-- instead of enjoying the books. Not aimed at anyone in particular but it seems clear to me we have a mix of dealers, semi-dealers, speculators, and some mix in between of those as well as regular Joe collectors.

That said-- I wish you all luck in dealing with these books.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:29 PM, 01TheDude said:
On 11/4/2021 at 12:28 AM, lou_fine said:

As long as they don't go below my purchase price, I guess I really can't complain too much though.  :wishluck:

I bought the entire series - all 20 books - at cover price from the racks of 7-11 back when they came out (total cost - $6.25). Most of them are in 8.5 shape or better with a few that are more like 7.0s based on my grading at the last re-bagging/boarding.

No plans to get them graded or sell them.

I totally totally get how you feel about having them graded as the cost to grade even one of these suckers nowadays would end up costing you big multiples of the original price you had to pay for the entire run in the first place.  :mad:  

Like you, although I cherry picked my minty fresh copies of the entire run off the shelves of the LCS back in the day when they first came out, I just can't see myself paying the egregious ripoff dollars that it would take to grade and slab them.  Especially since the original cost of the book would only end up being an insignificant fraction of the overall total cost of the slabbed copy by the time it's all said and done.  :censored:

Kind of tempted though since I do have dups of the first 3 issues, especially after seeing that copy of issue 13 go for over $4K a couple of years ago, although I doubt I would ever get that lucky in terms of the grade and finding a sucker  *ahem* lucky buyer :bigsmile: to pay that kind of dough.  :wishluck:

On 11/4/2021 at 2:51 AM, Underground44 said:

Saw the movie today. I’m scratching my head about the negative reviews and my tip is that the general public won’t care less about rotten tomato reviews. I’d put this in my top 5 of MCU movies and I recommend going to see it.

Reviews don't mean much to me these days. The last Hellboy movie was dubbed the worst comic book movie ever by many sites. Are you kidding me? Sure Milla Jovovich wasn't a good choice IMO but the movie iteself was much better than several comic book movies I've seen. Personally, I liked it at least as much as the first two Hellboy movies and waaaaay more than Black Widow. Eternals tickets for this coming Thursday. Jolie and Hayek as well as a few others, are signed up for multiple movie contracts with Marvel. Eternals aren't going anywhere. (thumbsu For that collector out there who owns the third Eternals 1 cgc 9.8 30 cent variant...you should totally hit the panic button and sell it to me before its totally worthless forever!:1514325239_yeehawemoji:

Glad I went to go see it last night. Between myself and the other two people who went with me, we gave it a 7, 8, and 8. Definitely laid out the characters fairly well and the story was a bit of a deviation from typical Marvel movies but different did not translate into bad like many of the critics said. Its crazy when critics are reviewing at low numbers and the general audience is saying something very different. Currently, critics are at 44% with 328 reviews and general viewers are at 80% with over 5,000+ verified ratings. This is when I swear critics just copy and paste from each other rather than going to see a film and posting their own opinions. For what it's worth, the movie was something I'd go and see again. I'm tempted to go back this week. 2c

On 11/12/2021 at 10:40 AM, Timeless icons said:

Glad I went to go see it last night. Between myself and the other two people who went with me, we gave it a 7, 8, and 8. Definitely laid out the characters fairly well and the story was a bit of a deviation from typical Marvel movies but different did not translate into bad like many of the critics said. Its crazy when critics are reviewing at low numbers and the general audience is saying something very different. Currently, critics are at 44% with 328 reviews and general viewers are at 80% with over 5,000+ verified ratings. This is when I swear critics just copy and paste from each other rather than going to see a film and posting their own opinions. For what it's worth, the movie was something I'd go and see again. I'm tempted to go back this week. 2c

I feel the same way.

Eternals wasn't bad (also 8/10), considering the movie is 2-1/2 hours long.

I watched the movie on Tuesday, and I'm still thinking about the movie today!

2ogI27M.gif

On 11/18/2021 at 1:56 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

I feel the same way.

Eternals wasn't bad (also 8/10), considering the movie is 2-1/2 hours long.

I watched the movie on Tuesday, and I'm still thinking about the movie today!

2ogI27M.gif

It is definitely something I'll pick up when it comes out. That gif is awesome btw. (thumbsu

On 11/18/2021 at 4:39 PM, dikran1 said:

Looking at some of the prices for these books lately... it's a bloodbath... Eternals 11 9.8 ending at 192$ on ComicLink?... it was routinely selling for 5-600$ a few months ago.

This is why I buy what I like, not what other people tell me to. :deadhorse:

On 11/26/2021 at 9:28 PM, batmiesta said:

This is why I buy what I like, not what other people tell me to.

That is great advice!.

Speculators eventually take heavy losses on high pop stuff. The one's who really know what they are doing of course exit before the bottom falls out.  Expect not just these but many books with large high grade populations to go lower as band-wagon jumpers sustain losses then exit the hobby until the next boom. Supply will remain plentiful but demand will take a drop.  It's also happening with Sports Cards. 

Those who still have high dollars tied up with these books, I'm sure will have some Venom (pun intended) to spit. But the irrational market is ending and basic economic pillar of supply and demand as it always does will reign.

P.S. Excluding outliers of course they will always exist and hot-books de jour.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/18/2021 at 8:39 AM, dikran1 said:

Looking at some of the prices for these books lately... it's a bloodbath... Eternals 11 9.8 ending at 192$ on ComicLink?... it was routinely selling for 5-600$ a few months ago.

Really nothing to see here and totally expected, as isn't this the usual pricing scenario for highly hyped and readily availalble movie or TV related comic books.  :tonofbricks:

Take a look at the Captain Marvel movie which was a big success relative to its initial expectations, and yet MSH 13 which used to sell for multiples of guide during the speculative driven hype now can be picked up at a discount to OPG condition guide.  doh!

Still should be alright for the Eternals buyers who brought early as hopefully they won't fall all the way back into the quarter box or dollar box by the time it's all said and done.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/10/2021 at 3:25 PM, MAR1979 said:

Speculators eventually take heavy losses on high pop stuff. The one's who really know what they are doing of course exit before the bottom falls out.  Expect not just these but many books with large high grade populations to go lower as band-wagon jumpers sustain losses then exit the hobby until the next boom. Supply will remain plentiful but demand will take a drop.  It's also happening with Sports Cards. 

Those who still have high dollars tied up with these books, I'm sure will have some Venom (pun intended) to spit. But the irrational market is ending and basic economic pillar of supply and demand as it always does will reign.

I guess another perfect example right now would be the so-called variant edition of Ultimate Fallout 4 in CGC 9.8 where it's apparently going for over $30K.  :screwy:

Just imagine 2 years from now when the current Spidey movie is long gone and CGC digs themselves out of the dump of books they have stored up to the rafters for grading in their new expanded 100,000+ square foot facility.  How many more copies of this readily available and easily found variant will they have over and above the current 275 CGC 9.8 graded copies which they already have slabbed in CGC 9.8?  doh!  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks: