• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official "Does Anyone Know Where/If/When This Art Was Printed?" Thread
1 1

91 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Sorry for the bad pic behind glass... My friend bought an unattributed Mad magazine illo from Illustration House many years ago. Has anyone ever seen this in print or does anyone recognize the artist?

708444237_Mad-illo(Large).jpg.0dad9f469482e15046ce80e01f2e1363.jpg

Looks like a paperback cover rough.

19 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

Looks like a paperback cover rough.

50 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

Looks like we have a ^^

mad2.jpg.f2b48573f238804829777c2fbf58ca0a.jpg

WOW! You guys are on FIRE! I was digging through the Mad pb covers just now, but I didn't think anyone would find it so fast!

My friend is going to be stoked. If anyone has a copy of this book, let me know if the cover artist is credited.

11 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

Peter Max?  Haha. (:

It's done in the style of John Alcorn (another piece of his attached here) but none of the MAD websites seem to give any kind of attribution other than "Ballentine Pop Art."  Ballentine seems to have done a series of covers in this style -- I remember them from when I was a kid. Your friend's one is great. 

alcorn soup.JPG

I won my first auction at Heritage. I guess that means I get to wear big boy underpants. Heritage describes this Punisher piece by Gray Morrow as an unpublished illustration and I bid accordingly. However, upon receiving it I noticed a number 17 followed by a period like a page number, prompting me to believe it might have been published somewhere, but the Comic Book Database doesn't credit Morrow on any Punisher titles. If it did find its way published anywhere, it may be in an obscure issue of Marvel Age or a pin-up somewhere. The other reason that makes me wonder it might be published somewhere is the hefty price tag of $400. The best I can date the board is early 90s, so $400 seems to a lot of moolah for that time. I'm making assumptions here, but it looks Morrow laid down the price as opposed to a dealer who is often more discreet with penciling in a price. I thought at first that this was a commission but why price it so high if it was? 

So I have three questions:

1. Has anyone seen this piece published anywhere?

2. Can anyone date the era of the board? It's a board for "full bleed" and not for interiors or covers. Interior and cover boards in the early 90s look different than this one.

3. Can anyone provide general insight to Morrow's output? How common were illustrations like this? He didn't do a lot of Marvel work after the Bronze age, so I'm wondering why he would have a "modern" board to work with? Maybe someone here knows the story behind this piece, published or otherwise.

Morrow 1.jpg

Morrow 2.jpg

Morrow 3.jpg

On 8/24/2019 at 5:06 PM, MarvelTwoInOneGuy said:

This is by Steven Butler.  

Thank you. Steven himself actually identified that one for me on Facebook. I've also id'd the one earlier on this page as Saudelli (sp?) from La Blonda. And the Finlay on page two as being from a 1952 issue of Future Science Fiction. Still trying to figure out the Nebres Sonja, though.

On 4/18/2018 at 3:29 AM, Weird Paper said:

So, like a lot of you, I've accumulated some art over the past four decades of collecting that I've not been able to find in print. It seems like as good a time as any to start a thread and geeksource these questions to the collective hivemind that is dis place.

Since I'm already here, I'll go first... This is by Trevor Von Eeden, but I don't know if it's a commission, pin-up or what. It's unusual if it's a commission, because Batman is not the central figure in the piece. It's about 13x18, mixed media. Has anybody ever seen this in print?

Have you asked Trevor?

On 4/20/2018 at 3:32 AM, Weird Paper said:

At the risk of pushing this thread to a feeble pitch, I'll try again, because I'm nothing if not stubborn. It only gets more eclectic from here, so I expected the responses to noticeably decline.

This is Wally Wood, probably from some late 50s or early 60s science fiction pulp or digest. I want to know so I can read the story. It looks like a fun story.

Did you ask J. David Spurlock?

Hi All

This was thrown in when I bought a bunch of Darick Robertson pages from someone. It looks like Jimmy Palmiotti's signature and the seller had a bunch of Garth Ennis related titles.

The DC copyright stamp on the back was 2003

Any clues?

bzTVpau8_1109191211551gpadd.jpg

10 hours ago, malvin said:

Hi All

This was thrown in when I bought a bunch of Darick Robertson pages from someone. It looks like Jimmy Palmiotti's signature and the seller had a bunch of Garth Ennis related titles.

The DC copyright stamp on the back was 2003

Any clues?

bzTVpau8_1109191211551gpadd.jpg

It's from Birds of Prey: Batgirl/Catwoman #1 (2003). Hence the "BG/CW" you see at the top. 52 page Prestige format. Writer is John Francis Moore. Pencils by Darrick Robertson (obviously) and inks by Jimmy Palmiotti (more obvious).