• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil #131 CGC 9.6!

73 posts in this topic

Sweeeet! I'd like the page quality upgrade from my 9.6 oww.

Where this one will end will be a mystery. $700 - $1,100 ???

a 9.2 cream gets $400... that same guy with deep pockets maybe pays $1,300 for this.

Hope he doesn't smirk.gif

Will it go higher or lower than the currently stalled DD 168 9.6 White?

I don't know the final price, but the high bidder better sell it quick! After the movie dies down and everybody and their mother sends their copies in to CGC to be graded, a 9.6 will be a $500 comic at most, and probably more like $300.

It might hold a little bit more of its DD frenzy value than that...$500 sounds more on target than $300 to me. I think I'd buy quite a few 9.6's at $300 ea. if they crossed my path... even after the DD hype ends.

I'm not convinced there is a ton of these out there as I think Bullseye is an interesting and important enough villain/character (with definate fan appeal) to have been overlooked to this degree. We should have seen more CGC'd 131's by now. I think the title was struggling back then. I'm not positive, but I heard that circulation may have been lower as well. At the time, prior to Miller's use of the character, I'm betting not as many collectors saw that book as anything special. It may have not been handled and stored as carefully as other favorites...hence lower numbers of high grades... just a thought

I think that DD was bi-monthly then. Also, who'd have cared about Bullseye at that point - he really wasn't fleshed out as a character until 4 yrs later.

Is it fair to say he compares to Sabretooth in terms of character popularity and availability of this issue vs. Iron Fist 14? Can we expect in 2 years (after the cooldown) that this issue will sell at the level of an IF 14 in the same grade?

...this issue is a classic example of a speculator frenzy............a book that guides for what $35?..............making rediculous prices in a cgc slab..........prices that will never be realised again after the movie..................

............i have seen a fair few high grade copies of this book over years, but no-one was interested...........now............

.........this book is a real cgc anomaly.......... confused.gif

I think that to some extent, this book is for real. It is taking its place as a Bronze Age minor key.

The price should settle, though, after all the bandwagon jumpers are through with it.

The lesson to be learned is that the hobby has long thought Bullseye is a cool character - this is finally being translated into interest in this book! The same thing happened with Iron Man 55 and IF 14 in the late 80s.

This is the inevitable result of collectors liking a character. It's not too late to grab Avengers 195 and 196 when you see them in HG..... grin.gif

It is the Taskmaster's first appearance... a guy everyone seems to like. I'd be inclined to think that if you see a HG copy for $6 or whatever guide is, it would be a reasonable buy.

Daredevil was not bi-monthly when 131 came out, nor was it bi-monthly the year before or after that. I don't think Daredevil has ever been bi-monthly since it went monthly with issue #11; someone correct me if they've noticed otherwise. Here are some average circulation numbers on various Daredevil issues from the "Standard Catalog of Comics":

Daredevil 24-35 275,361
Daredevil 48-49 245,422
Daredevil 95-106 168,379
Daredevil 129-140 134,319
Daredevil 168-177 130,239
Daredevil 190-201 259,013
Daredevil Vol2 1-8 99,970

Looks like there may be as many 131s as 168s out there, and Miller Daredevils weren't hotly speculated by the time 168 came out, were they?

Hey Jamie,

Thanks for the data... I've noticed you are an excellent source in that regard and quite the research expert. I have to buy a copy of that Standard Catalog of Comics so I have my facts straight on circulation issues.

Do you think that my point about how the book (131) was possibly regarded back then may have effected the way it was stored and collected, thus reducing HG copies?

I also think the returns are a legit issue here. Do you have data on the amount returned? I imagine that sales for 131 did not come close to 168.

Actually, I can't speak for others but I was so caught up with the Miller DD run in the day that I bought multiples in my orgional collection (which is now long gone). I've run into others that seem to have a few extra 168's at least. The amount of 9.4's that have surfaced seem to suppot that.

I am willing to wager a "sixer" grin.gif that high grade DD 131's will never approach the level of available HG 168's, even if you can develop a fair calculation to even the playing field with regards to the difference in time between the 2.

Bru

ps... liked your "Me" page... that's taking it to the max.

I am willing to wager a "sixer" that high grade DD 131's will never approach the level of available HG 168's, even if you can develop a fair calculation to even the playing field with regards to the difference in time between the 2.

That's a no-brainer, since DD 168 was highly speculated, and we're not even close to understanding how many high-grade copies are still lurking or are currently at CGC.

I think a better comparison would be to DD 158 or some of the very early FM issues. DD 131 also became a mini-key soon after the FM issues themselves became quite popular, so I doubt that it is rare in any real way.

Before the recent zaniness, it was a nice book to list, but nothing spectacular. Just give it 3-4 months and see how many copies find their way onto EBay (assuming prices stay high).

I obviously agree.

Unless I misunderstood JR's reply, I'm under the impression Jamie's contention was that 168 and all Miller issues were not heavily speculated. (see his quote below)

Looks like there may be as many 131s as 168s out there, and Miller Daredevils weren't hotly speculated by the time 168 came out, were they?

As a non-Daredevil collector..I must say I'd never heard a word of Bullseye until the movie came out..now suddenly the book is worth a couple hundred dollars? what the...?? Iron Fist 14 was still around a 50-70 dollar book prior to the X-men movie, I don't know about DD 131 but I'm guessing prior to the movie being announced it wasn't going for a whole bunch...if at all.

Brian

"That's a no-brainer, since DD 168 was highly speculated, and we're not even close to understanding how many high-grade copies are still lurking or are currently at CGC."

Do you mean the issue was highly speculated when it came out, or after the fact. When 168 came out I seriously doubt anybody bought multiple upon multiple copies. I know I didn't start acquiring copies of this book until after they brought her back from the dead.