• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil #131 CGC 9.6!

73 posts in this topic

I recall reading a couple of times that the Daredevil books were pretty heavily ordered which makes the #'s presented in the book FF is referring to seem...almost unreal.. Could those possibly just be the newstand #'s? Anyways, I really don't have much room to talk as I really never followed DD..but I had always heard that the Frank Miller series was pretty well known ahead of time and fairly well bought..

Brian

Anyways getting back to the subject, I think it could be a risky situation buying a book at a time where it's gotta be at it's all time hottest and then expecting the book to remain on that level after the movie or even 2 years down the road.. :\

Brian

I'm not so sure, CI. DD was still bi-monthly until 171, and I don't think the Miller frenzy had been going strong at the time 168 came out.

There are a lot of 9.2s and 9.4s of 168, but things thin out above that.

Anyone know differently?

Could be the dark cover..I've seen a lot of DD 168's with little flaws that would cause it to immediately be knocked down to 9.4 or below.

On a side note, has anyone noticed many issues with the ink smudges on them? I've come across at least 3 with this..

Brian

Those figures are (Total copies printed) minus (Total copies returned), so they do incorporate returns. Even though the copies sold are about the same for those two issues, I would generally agree that the total number of high-grade copies of 131 is somewhat less than 168 since the time that elapsed before 131 became popular was five years or so longer than the time that elapsed before 168 became popular. The average number of copies not including returns for each issue printed in 1976 was 302,428 and in 1981 was 276,812. It boggles my mind that they ended up destroying more issues than they sold!All of this data can be seen in the original circulation statements taken directly from Daredevil #143 and #181, scanned below:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ruddj/Daredevil_143_1976_circulation_statement.jpg'>Circulation for Daredevil in 1976

(taken from Daredevil #143)

Daredevil_143_1976_circulation_statement_small.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ruddj/Daredevil_181_1981_circulation_statement.jpg'>Circulation for Daredevil in 1981

(taken from Daredevil #181)

Daredevil_181_1981_circulation_statement_small.jpg

murph,

Yep, I've seen the roller smudge effect on this book.

And, regarding the dark cover concept, a spine stress is the same under a microscope on both dark and light covers. The physical properties and qualities of the books are the same wrt propensity to damage. The question thus becomes: Does CGC downgrade a stress line on a dark cover more strictly due to the greater aesthetic effect?

I would imagine that the total number of high-grade copies of 131 is somewhat less than 168 since the time that elapsed before 131 became popular was 5 years or so longer than the time that elapsed before 168 became popular.

The 'quarter bin effect' - as with Iron Man 55.

Yes, a question of the overall visual effect of a stress line or similar defect.

plitch, if you're out there, can you comment on the weight a stress line has on the grade on a dark cover vs. a light/white cover?

I think they should downgrade more for creases on dark covers due to the greater impact on aesthetics. Grading is both an art and a science, but it should be more art than science. I hesitate to say that aloud because I worry that it inspires the wrong idea in people...I STRONGLY feel grading has been WAY too much art and not ENOUGH science throughout its history.

I guess I'd agree that a spine stress that breaks color on a black cover should be downgraded more then one on a light cover that doesn't break color

Anyways, anyone know what's up with the ink smudges on the DD 168's?

Brian

I have no problem with the way you are presenting that concept, James. A stress line is more visually damaging on a dark cover.

The grading as art concept tends to strike a nerve because of those sellers who hide behind this concept when selling F books that they see as VF. frown.gif

The Daredevils were bought in bulk because there was a major buzz about them - if you remember, this was also when X-Men was at its absolute zenith, and there were Comics Journal articles saying Daredevil was the comic for adults, blah blah blah, and, being 16 and living in the midwest, we wanted to buy adult books. We bought a lot of them - I remember moving most of my Miller Daredevils in the mid-80s. I'm guessing there was a price spike when the Nuke storyline came out.