• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil #131 CGC 9.6!

73 posts in this topic

Here's just a thought - and I think this book is over priced too, but what if we're all wrong? What if the movie DOESN'T suck and this book continues to explode? Just something to ponder.

I love the character and the book- so I've definitely pondered that... and either way I'm happy. The book is out there- available, ungraded, for a song. I buy it whenever I see it. If it blows up- I'm super-happy. If it doesn't? Well, who cares? People are still going to need to fill out their daredevil runs- I'll sell it for sane prices and still make some money.

Sweeeet! I'd like the page quality upgrade from my 9.6 oww.

Where this one will end will be a mystery. $700 - $1,100 ???

a 9.2 cream gets $400... that same guy with deep pockets maybe pays $1,300 for this.

Hope he doesn't

congrats...

psycho. grin.gif

Before any of you ask me why smirk.gif consider this...

I was offered $1,000+ for my DD 131 CGC 9.6 oww 3 months ago... as was the owner of the other copy at the time. As the book is a favorite key of mine (well beyond cash vaue)... I did not "sell out" for the mega profit I could have taken ($600). At that point in time... it was also only one of (2) existing 9.6's and I did not feel overly confident about the chances of replacing it, especially at a good price if one surfaced (proved true). I did not (and still don't) expect a ton more 9.6's to surface... although we'll really see what's up in the next few months. I could certainly be proven wrong in the short term, but this present/upcoming span may be one of the few instances when several copies enter the marketpalce in a short amount of time.

Having experienced the Miller DD run when it originally came out and being totally awestruck with the writing, art and characters... DD, Elektra and Bullseye have always been characters I held in higher regard than most collectors... except perhaps by the same "core group" that was swept away like me back in the day.

Anyway.. when this 9.6 White surfaced, I spoke with my good friend and mega-collector who will remain nameless (who made that offer 3 months ago) and we agreed upon a plan. Since he was financially unable to particiate at this moment for his own reasons we agreed that I (the White Page freak) would bid up to $1K for the 9.6 White and would sell my 9.6 oww to him for a bit less (not a PQ freak). So, as it turns out I upgrade to the 9.6 White reasonably and my friend gets the 9.6 oww that he always wanted too (at less than his original offer)... and I carry the debt for him until he can repay me... everyone's happy grin.gif Not a bad plan all around?

It did become more complicated when the 2nd 9.6 oww showed up. I suggested abandoning the plan if he was concerned that there may end up being a larger gap in price between the 9.6 oww he was to receive from me and the 2nd posted copy. He wanted to take his chances since he could not pay for the other book anyway and I could not afford to win both with all the other books I have coming and going.

I hope the other 9.6 oww reaches at least $800.. otherwise I'll feel compelled to give him a bigger break. Goooo... 9.6 oww

I thought I'd save myself from having to answer the question multiple times. grin.gif

What if the Scooby Doo movie does quite well...does that mean that the Scooby Doo comics are gonna be a huge investment? No.

What the hell are you talking about? Did I say I thought that spending 400 or 900 on this book was a good idea? No, I think it's a terrible idea. Now, do I think that spending 30-50 dollars on NM copies of this book is a good idea regardless of whether or not the high end CGC prices continue to skyrocket? Yes. It's a great idea, and that's why I'm doing it.

You obviously have no clue about this book, but if you're trying to put together a daredevil run and you care about the character, this book is high on your list regardless of movie hype. I know you have no clue about how important this book is to daredevil collectors (of which I am one)- you've admitted as much. So I'm telling you- if you collect Daredevil this is a key book.

And I'm going to repeat myself so you don't misundertand:

I think spending over $75 on this book is psychotic regardless of what happens with the movie.

Spending less that that for NM copies is good, because I think it's a good book that will continue to sustain some interest regardless of what happens with the movie.

What if the Scooby Doo movie does quite well...does that mean that the Scooby Doo comics are gonna be a huge investment? No.

This is always big with the stoner crowd...and children. I've got my Shaggy Action figures...Scooby Doo prices are actually going through the roof, especially with appearances of Scrappy Doo in them. wink.gif

hey mud, that wasn't a reply to your post so you can take your flame bait elsewhere thanks.

It was in reply to Flying who made the post regarding the broad spectrum of "movie coming out" speculation.

Just b/c a movie is coming out doesn't necessarily mean the book featuring characters from it will become some great hot comic for the next couple years..it happened with X-men 94, G.S. 1, and Hulk 181..but those were already seen as fairly key books and already carried a decent price prior to the movie. Don't think that this is the "norm".

Brian

It wasn't flame bait, it was a reaction built out of frustration with your continued bashing of this particular book. Since it's based out of what looks like ignorance, that's a frusatrating thing to watch. In effect (and minus the cranky nature of it) I was just pointing out that some people really did think DD 131 was a key book before the last year. A point which you still seem to be missing. It's been a key book for a long time for DD collectors. The only thing that's happening now is that there are suddenly more people collecting Daredevil. You have admitted that you didn't even know about the book until recently, correct? You also don't collect Daredevil, right? So how on earth can you keep going on and on and on about what this book was doing before the movie hype? Judging by the two above statements, I'd guess you have absolutely no evidence/ experience/ knowledge of this book before this year. That's why I came on strong with that post. It drives me crazy when people talk out of their on a subject they admittedly know nothing about.

Here's a true anecdote that will hopefully illustrate why I'm so frustrated with your bashing of this book as a nonentity. From an emotional attachment level this book is one of my top-ten keys. Literally. Bullseye, as written and drawn by Frank Miller was one of the earliest important villains of my childhood (his run was going on when I was 7-10 years old) and having a nice copy of his first appearance is a big deal to me.

Now, let's talk about a character that you deem "worthy" of collector interest because it falls inside your collecting spectrum- Sabertooth. For me, X-Men and the whole X-universe turned to shortly after Paul Smith stopped drawing X-Men (175.) I stopped buying it and reading it for the most part. I made short term exceptions for Jim Lee and the like, but it wasn't like I was hooked again. What does that mean? It means I could give two sh|ts about Sabertooth. It means that the only reason I want Iron Fist 14, from a personal point of view, is so that I can finish my Marvel Premiere/ Iron Fist run.

I know you'll probably miss the point of this one too and accuse me of flaming you or something. I'm not, I'm trying to make you understand another (not incredibly foreign) point of view.

I'll toss in my 2 cents:

Iron Fist 14 went through the same price jump in the late 80s, fuelled by his presence in the Mutant Massacre and his suspected association with Wolverine's origin. As with that book then, DD 131 was a book just waiting to break out. I am like several posters above - Bullseye was a key character in a classic run during my childhood comic reading years. What you are seeing now is a reflection of that, on the part of many readers.

Why did it take this long for the book to jump? I'm not sure, but it seems collector sentiment flows like a tide. I was associated with sports cards in the early 90s, when it took 3 Cy Young awards for Greg Maddux to draw any interest. Once the interest was there, everybody piled on.

I think Bruce may have overpaid, but not by as much as many people will think. In fact, if you bought the book to hold, Bruce, I don't think you'll be at all upset in 5 years. smile.gif

There's a big difference between SOME people thinking this book is a great one and EVERYONE..you're trying to tell me that tons of people thought this was a great book before..and despite me not following the series..I know that's not the case as the book wasn't attaining anything remotely near these prices..Also, I have never said I think IF 14 is a great book..I merely said that it was a pricey book PRIOR to the movie..and if you look at the difference between the two.. IF 14 goes for say...400 in 9.4..multiply that by what it was going for before in NM or better lets say 80 dollars..thats about 4 times "regular" price..now let's consider DD 131..I was easily able to find this book for in the price range of 30-50 dollars prior to this hype..now it goes for..lets say it sells in 9.4 at 400 dollars..thats at least 8 times guide..AT LEAST..now which book looks like it might have more speculators underneth it...DD 131.

Brian

Doc...

I am holding... trust me! as the book will be a valued part of my collection for a long time... and what's not obvious is... I did not overpay at all because I have wanted and believed in the book for some time now. I won the 9.6 oww copy for $415ish awhile back (which was considered a ridiculous purchase by some back then) and I just paid an additional $75 to upgrade to the White pager (as explained above). Total investment... $490 for my 9.6 White keeper. If I want to rationalize... I can subtract the profit I made selling several 9.4's and a 9.2, the profit of which overtakes the total purchase of the 9.6 White wink.gif I have one more 9.4 White as a back up, but I don't think I can let it go either (damn hoarder of my favorites as I am). Regardless of the cash value this book... it will not leave my safety deposit box unless a 9.8 finds it's way to me... even if I'm offered 2K right now. I turned down 1K when it was a "no brainer" 3 months ago. You have to hold the books that matter to you. Sometimes.. people DON'T have a price. You and I may be in the minority as to the relevance, value and our opinon as to the long term demand for this book, but we can always count on the Miller fans of yesteryear to be in the market... if ever we were forced to sell.

MurphO...

What you mention about availability of DD 131 in NM or better may be true in your experience... but I've had much more difficulty... even with considerable effort spent. I've been actively in the market for DD 131's in NM or better for quite awhile before there was even talk of a DD movie and only found (1) ungraded gem that ended up grading 9.4... after buying many copies and asking everyone I was in contact with for them. I ended up with several "already graded" 9.4's and a 9.2 through networking and private deals but only found the one worthy ungraded copy for all my efforts. I wish I was looking where you were... I would have bought them all smirk.gif