• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

Chadwick Boseman was best known to audiences for his work onscreen, playing iconic figures like Jackie Robinson, James Brown, Thurgood Marshall and the Black Panther. But offscreen, he was known as a proud Howard Bison.

Howard University announced today that the newly re-established college of fine arts, led by Dean Phylicia Rashad, will be named the Chadwick A. Boseman College of Fine Arts in honor of the late actor and distinguished alumnus. Boseman died in August 2020 at age 43, after he was diagnosed with colon cancer.

In a statement celebrating the announcement, Boseman’s family shared their gratitude for Howard President Wayne A. I. Fredrick and the Board of Trustees for honoring their beloved Chad with the renaming of the institution.

Wow!

We'll see how true this is, and if it leads to appearances beforehand or right after in a dedicated show.

Fandomwire previously reported that Black Panther 2 would include a conflict between Wakanda and Atlantis which has led to speculation from fans. It was also reported that Narcos: Mexico star Tenoch Huerta had joined the cast as an unknown villain. And after some intense digging, The Illuminerdi has learned from our sources that Tenoch Huerta will be playing none other than Namor the Submariner.

POC Culture revealed that Black Panther 2 was looking to cast one Mayan woman called “Zyanya” and one Mayan man called “Cadmael”. They also reported that “the casting call indicates that all actors of North and South American Indigenous backgrounds will be considered for the roles.”

We at The Illuminerdi can reveal that the two “Mayan warriors” that Black Panther 2 has been looking to cast are important characters in Namor and Atlantean lore. Zyanya is a codename for Namora, Namor’s cousin, while Cadmael is a codename for Attuma, an Atlantean warlord.

Both of these characters have played important roles in Namor’s story. Namora is Namor’s cousin, although not by blood, and while originally named Aquaria Nautica Neptunia, she was nicknamed Namora in honor of her cousin. She is an ally of Namor’s and like him, Namora is half Atlantean and half mutant with the ability to fly.

Tales to Astonish #4 [1979], was one of my first comics, maybe first 5. Namor matters to me. I have no idea who this chap is & that's the best news of the day. Thank goodness he isn't Tom Cruise or that John Krasinski dude or even worse, Robert Downey Jr. Can't stand the Hollywood establishment. Awful monopolists of roles.    

Also, I hope he doesn't spend his time preparing for the role 'getting buff.'    

54 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:

So long as he's a Native Atlantean I support this casting completely.

Are you ignoring Namor's mutant blood? If so, then clearly you're racist. Or, you're just racist.  

4 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I like the casting of Tenoch Huerta as Namor, if true.

Tenoch-Huerta-Photo-1.jpg

Interesting casting choice, if true. I thought for sure they'd cast an Asian actor and somehow set Namor's kingdom in the Indian or Pacific Ocean, like Lemuria.

So it seems with this direction, Atlantis will be tied to Central and South America, especially given that other actors being looked at in the news story are for Mayan roles, as if Atlantis will be linked to the ancient Mayan civilization. Perhaps this means Atlantis will be in the South Atlantic Ocean, between South America and Africa, unlike the comics which place it between Europe and North America.

Also, I wonder if Ajak of the Eternals, played by another Mexican actor and linked to the Mayans in the movie, will also be linked to Atlantis and Namor. Perhaps the Eternals movie will be a set-up for the introduction of Atlantis.

6 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Damn.

This is gonna' push the cost of Motion Picture Funnies Weekly through the roof!

And I bet FF 4 is gonna skyrocket.

black-panther-wakanda-forever-gets-its-villain-namor-in-narcos-mexico-fame-tenoch-huerta001.thumb.jpg.2f91eb981ef90e13ecc3237eac62bf6b.jpg

If it's true that Namor will debut in Wakanda Forever, it adds more "oomph" to my theory/observation that all MCU Phase Four films featuring a legacy character aren't just "team-up" movies, but also themed team-ups of that legacy character's counterparts.

Black Widow will team-up the Black Widows of the past(Melina), present(Natasha), and future(Yelena Belova).

No Way Home will be a team-up of the three cinematic franchise Spider-Mans (allegedly, not confirmed).

Multiverse of Madness will be a team-up of Marvel's wizards and sorcerers: Dr Strange, Scarlet Witch, Wong, and allegedly Clea and Jerico Drumm.

Love and Thunder will be a team-up of Marvel's gods: Thor, Jane Foster Thor, Valkyrie, Zeus(confirmed to be Russell Crowe), and allegedly Hercules.

The Marvels will be a team-up of Marvel's Marvel characters: Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, and Monica Rambeau.

And Wakanda Forever apparently will be a team-up of Marvel's Earth kingdoms: Wakanda and Atlantis. How long until we get the rumor that a third kingdom in WF will be Latveria?

Edited by @therealsilvermane