• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Or is the thinking that you can just keep replacing a power set with a new fictional character played by a new actor?  So Peter Parker gets replaced by Miles Morales, who eventually gets replaced by <insert new Spider-person here>?  T'Challa gets replaced by Shuri, Cap by Sam and maybe even Bucky, Stark by Riri Williams, etc etc?

I think this is the near-term plan as replacing an actor in a key role could leave fans with a bad taste in their mouths.

Long-view, we will probably see key roles brought back with new actors. But it will be way down the road to avoid a negative reaction.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Not recasting Boseman is a continuation of the decision to not re-cast Robert Downey as Stark and Chris Evans as Cap after both decided to leave the franchise.  Anyone had further insight as to what Feige is thinking with this approach?  All I can figure is an eventual reboot at some point in the far-out future.

Or is the thinking that you can just keep replacing a power set with a new fictional character played by a new actor?  So Peter Parker gets replaced by Miles Morales, who eventually gets replaced by <insert new Spider-person here>?  T'Challa gets replaced by Shuri, Cap by Sam and maybe even Bucky, Stark by Riri Williams, etc etc?

Feige wasn't thinking this way back in 2010 when he re-cast Bruce Banner played by Ed Norton with Mark Ruffallo, but he is now.  Can't say I'm a fan of not just re-casting a specific character.  What's he going to do the first time a character being newly-portrayed by an actor when that actor tragically dies?  So if the new Wolverine kills it but then happens to overdose the year after he first plays the character will we just lose Logan and get Weapon XI?  :ohnoez:

Feige just recast Banner because Bruce's story wasn't finished yet and the MCU was really just in the early stages and not really that established.

But as to not recasting for the future, I think it's more that Kevin Feige understands the essence of what makes Marvel...Marvel. It's not the suit of armor or the costume or the shield that's truly important. It's the human being behind it. This was the revolution that Stan Lee brought to comic books, making the person, not the hero, the most important thing. The Fantastic Four were heroes, but the fact that they were a family was more important and was the true heart of those Stan Lee stories. Feige seems to understand this. It's not the Iron armor that's important, it's the person wearing it that provides the heart of the story. Given this, if the character and story are written well enough, we'll care about whoever is behind the armor or the shield.

I don't think that the decision regarding T'Challa has anything to do with Iron Man or Cap. For the Infinity Saga to work, meaningful characters had to be killed off.

Personally, I think that they should decide to re-cast the Black Panther. His character, along with Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, were going to be the new Big 3 of the MCU.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think that the decision regarding T'Challa has anything to do with Iron Man or Cap. For the Infinity Saga to work, meaningful characters had to be killed off.

Personally, I think that they should decide to re-cast the Black Panther. His character, along with Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, were going to be the new Big 3 of the MCU.

prettymuch.gif.2e69da60d5e4ce6b4c346a4b1e9a6705.gif

11 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

But as to not recasting for the future, I think it's more that Kevin Feige understands the essence of what makes Marvel...Marvel. It's not the suit of armor or the costume or the shield that's truly important. It's the human being behind it. This was the revolution that Stan Lee brought to comic books, making the person, not the hero, the most important thing. The Fantastic Four were heroes, but the fact that they were a family was more important and was the true heart of those Stan Lee stories. Feige seems to understand this. It's not the Iron armor that's important, it's the person wearing it that provides the heart of the story. Given this, if the character and story are written well enough, we'll care about whoever is behind the armor or the shield.

You're conflating the actor and the character to a degree that leaves me uncertain as to what you're thinking...particularly since you're saying it's not about the power set, yet when you tie the actor to the character and then replace the fictional character with another one with the same power set, we're left with the conflicting reality that it IS about the power set.

11 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

You're conflating the actor and the character to a degree that leaves me uncertain as to what you're thinking...particularly since you're saying it's not about the power set, yet when you tie the actor to the character and then replace the fictional character with another one with the same power set, we're left with the conflicting reality that it IS about the power set.

I’ll clarify.

First, the actor IS the character/hero in the MCU. There are of course a few aforementioned exceptions. However, the hero taking on the personality of the actor (Tony Stark IS Robert Downey Jr) helps flesh out the hero as a real person. Also, that actor continuity is important to creating the real world illusion of the MCU where we grow with our heroes. While there are a few exceptions, particularly in the MCU’s early years, simple recasting of a major role would destroy that continuous real world illusion.

Second, it’s obvious that the Iron Man armor or the Ant-Man suit and tech are important to these million dollar movie franchises. These are superhero comic book movies. But the heart of the current Ant-Man franchise is Scott Lang learning to be a hero and also a father. While Ant-Man is the name of the movie, and it’s who we see on the movie poster, and it’s who drives the movie’s action, the story belongs to Scott Lang. Hank Pym was Ant-Man, Scott Lang is currently Ant-Man, but the life stories of the two are completely different. Using this story formula where the suit is a constant but the person behind it is an evolving revolving door of human stories, transitioning the Ant-Man films to Cassie Lang’s or Eric O’Grady’s story becomes an obvious next step and is essential to the MCU being a real dynamic world.

This Marvel story formula can apply to Iron Man. The Iron Man tech is a relative constant, but the human being wearing the armor and the individual drama and struggles of their unique life is the evolving dynamic element of the continuing Iron Man story. 

This Marvel formula in turn can apply to the mantle of the Black Panther. And it will.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

12 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

11 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

prettymuch.gif.2e69da60d5e4ce6b4c346a4b1e9a6705.gif

980B2D67-279F-4784-9092-970AEC68EE03.jpeg.719ec778c8a42a66d1debb595393f23b.jpeg

Edited by @therealsilvermane

In a piece revealing that Marvel Studios is exploring new potential terms in its talent contracts, TheWrap reports that a production start date for Black Panther 2 is already penciled in. The trade notes that the sequel could get in front of cameras in June of 2021 and potentially with new deals in place for the talent as new language is reportedly being considered. These new contracts, should they go through, would allow for key above-the-line talent (meaning the actors, writers, directors and producers) to receive adjusted compensation (in place of an expected backend bonus) should the film premiere on Disney+ instead of in theaters.

In a piece revealing that Marvel Studios is exploring new potential terms in its talent contracts, TheWrap reports that a production start date for Black Panther 2 is already penciled in. The trade notes that the sequel could get in front of cameras in June of 2021 and potentially with new deals in place for the talent as new language is reportedly being considered. These new contracts, should they go through, would allow for key above-the-line talent (meaning the actors, writers, directors and producers) to receive adjusted compensation (in place of an expected backend bonus) should the film premiere on Disney+ instead of in theaters.

Last week a HUGE report dropped that Doctor Doom would be making his MCU debut in Black Panther 2. Now FandomWire has dropped two more reports from Black Panther 2, one being the plot details surrounding the film and one that Erik Killmonger himself, Michael B. Jordan will reprise his role in the film. The site does not say how Killmonger will return but we know the dead do not stay dead in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

As far as the plot details go, SPOILER WARNING before we go any further …

Spoiler

The film is said to open with a tribute to T’Challa in the Black Panther suit and it will serve as a send off for the character and a way to pay respects to Chadwick Boseman.  With T’Challa gone, Wakanda is in turmoil and vulnerable to attacks. FandomWire says that Shuri will indeed become the next Black Panther and she will try to protect her kingdom from the threat of Namor and Atlantis. Namor has been rumored for quite some time. A large portion of Black Panther 2 will be underwater as well. At the center of the feud between Atlantis and Wakanda is Doctor Doom himself.

That is all that is revealed at this time. Keep in mind that Ryan Coogler is rewriting the -script after the passing of Chadwick and while some of this might have been in the original -script, there is no telling how much is still there now. As stated before, Namor and Atlantis have long been rumored for Black Panther 2 but the inclusion of Erik Killmonger and Doctor Doom make this film even more interesting.

Kaluuya, when asked by The Ringer about the sequel, couldn't give many details, but he did say that is Black Panther 2's duty to honor Boseman. To Kaluuya, Boseman himself should be honored before T'Challa and Kaluuya openly wonders how they would go about doing that. The Judas and the Black Messiah actor goes on to cite the impact Boseman had on so many people through his roles, not only as T'Challa, but as a figure and beacon of light in the industry.

"For me, what's important to me is not the Black Panther legacy, it's the legacy of Chadwick Boseman, because that's a human being and a spirit that is real. How can we honor that? Black Panther is going to do what Black Panther does, but that's a man that lived for us. He did it for us, did it our nephews, our nieces, our kids. It's our duty to honor that man the way he honored us."

Kaluuya's comments echo the sentiments of many after Boseman's passing. Black Panther was so great in part because of Boseman's take on the character - the actor brought a passion and elegance to the role that reached many. As Marvel moves forward, it's important that they do everything they can to respect Boseman's legacy, including  making sure that Black Panther 2 does not alter anything about the character.