• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

black-panther-wakanda-forever-gets-its-villain-namor-in-narcos-mexico-fame-tenoch-huerta001.thumb.jpg.2f91eb981ef90e13ecc3237eac62bf6b.jpg

If it's true that Namor will debut in Wakanda Forever, it adds more "oomph" to my theory/observation that all MCU Phase Four films featuring a legacy character aren't just "team-up" movies, but also themed team-ups of that legacy character's counterparts.

Black Widow will team-up the Black Widows of the past(Melina), present(Natasha), and future(Yelena Belova).

No Way Home will be a team-up of the three cinematic franchise Spider-Mans (allegedly, not confirmed).

Multiverse of Madness will be a team-up of Marvel's wizards and sorcerers: Dr Strange, Scarlet Witch, Wong, and allegedly Clea and Jerico Drumm.

Love and Thunder will be a team-up of Marvel's gods: Thor, Jane Foster Thor, Valkyrie, Zeus(confirmed to be Russell Crowe), and allegedly Hercules.

The Marvels will be a team-up of Marvel's Marvel characters: Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, and Monica Rambeau.

And Wakanda Forever apparently will be a team-up of Marvel's Earth kingdoms: Wakanda and Atlantis. How long until we get the rumor that a third kingdom in WF will be Latveria?

^^ Good analysis.

Eternals -> Lemuria -> Atlantis -> Netherworld -> Subterranea -> Mole Man -> Fantastic Four

-> Monsters Unleashed -> Elsa Bloodstne

3 hours ago, Heronext said:

^^ Good analysis.

Eternals -> Lemuria -> Atlantis -> Netherworld -> Subterranea -> Mole Man -> Fantastic Four

-> Monsters Unleashed -> Elsa Bloodstne

I could see Bloodstone popping up in Blade for sure.

On 6/7/2021 at 9:21 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I thought for sure they'd cast an Asian actor and somehow set Namor's kingdom in the Indian or Pacific Ocean, like Lemuria.

For most of my life I assumed Namor was supposed to be Japanese.  A decade or two ago I realized that while he was created in 1939, having him be Japanese would have become a big problem once Japan bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941, yet the title still continued on so I went to verify my assumption and found most sources suggesting I was wrong and that Bill Everett's intent was for Namor to look elven, hence the pointy ears.  Looking back at the art in Marvel Comics #1 where he first appeared yep, he looks far more elven in the art there than he appears to on many of the subsequent covers of his own title and even with the way Kirby him in the Silver Age, but I haven't found a source that seems definitive about Everett's intent with Namor's appearance.  If anyone knows of a source quoting Everett about Namor's visual design please do share.

Edited by fantastic_four

16 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

For most of my life I assumed Namor was supposed to be Japanese.  A decade or two ago I realized that while he was created in 1939, having him be Japanese would have become a big problem once Japan bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941, yet the title still continued on so I went to verify my assumption and found most sources suggesting I was wrong and that Bill Everett's intent was for Namor to look elven, hence the pointy ears.  Looking back at the art in Marvel Comics #1 where he first appeared yep, he looks far more elven in the art there than he appears to on many of the subsequent covers of his own title and even with the way Kirby him in the Silver Age, but I haven't found a source that seems definitive about Everett's intent with Namor's appearance.  If anyone knows of a source quoting Everett about Namor's visual design please do share.

That Bill Everett designed Namor to be kind of elven sounds about right. If the Tenoch Huerta casting is confirmed, I like the idea of tying Atlantis to South America and its ancient civilizations. It makes sense geographically if Atlantis is going to conflict with Wakanda, keeps the MCU from being too Americanized or Eurocentric, helps get South America involved in the MCU (they're big fans down there, especially Brazil), just a brilliant move overall IMO.

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” — the highly anticipated sequel to the Oscar-winning, billion-dollar blockbuster “Black Panther” — started production on Tuesday at Pinewood Studios in Atlanta, Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige tells Variety.

Director Ryan Coogler is returning to direct from his screenplay, and Feige says that everyone from the original cast is also coming back — without, of course, star Chadwick Boseman, who died in August 2020 after a four year battle with colon cancer.

“It’s clearly very emotional without Chad,” Feige said before the “Black Widow” Global Fan Event in Los Angeles on Tuesday night. “But everyone is also very excited to bring the world of Wakanda back to the public and back to the fans. We’re going to do it in a way that would make Chad proud.”

On 6/30/2021 at 3:03 PM, Muno42 said:

I have no idea what this movie will be like, but I am kind of happy about that. Marvel sure seems confident they have something worthy. 

That's because they have a mindless fanbase. Not to say that all MCU fans are mindless, but there is a subset that will throw their money at Disney/Marvel no matter what.

6 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's because they have a mindless fanbase. Not to say that all MCU fans are mindless, but there is a subset that will throw their money at Disney/Marvel no matter what.

That's not fair...

Riverview man sets Guinness World Record for watching 'Avengers: Endgame' 201 times

doncheadle3.PNG.4f0f550da5ead613d456846efd83d91d.PNG

Disregard! (:

7 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Definitely, but that subset is less than 1 percent of all the people who go see MCU movies.  They have no real impact on the general popularity of the movies, the box office receipts, or viewership/purchase of other properties.

Just now, MattTheDuck said:

Definitely, but that subset is less than 1 percent of all the people who go see MCU movies.  They have no real impact on the general popularity of the movies, the box office receipts, or viewership/purchase of other properties.

I would say that it's 50%. How are we going to prove which statistic is correct?

12 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:

Where is the analysis outlining this measurement?

:baiting:

Meanwhile if there are more than a few folks going multiple times like the gentleman above (201 x $9-11 ticket = $1,809-$2,211) that's a substantial contribution to any studio.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would say that it's 50%. How are we going to prove which statistic is correct?

Most people tend to inflate without source the number of people who agree with them, or who disagree with them.  As has been pointed out, less than 2 percent of Disney+ subscribers paid to see "Black Widow" on Disney+.  The ones who did that in addition to seeing it in the theater fit your description.  Nobody who only went to the theater to see BW, and does not subscribe to Disney+ would fit your description of mindlessly buying whatever Disney/Marvel is selling.

Just now, MattTheDuck said:

Most people tend to inflate without source the number of people who agree with them, or who disagree with them.  As has been pointed out, less than 2 percent of Disney+ subscribers paid to see "Black Widow" on Disney+.  The ones who did that in addition to seeing it in the theater fit your description.  Nobody who only went to the theater to see BW, and does not subscribe to Disney+ would fit your description of mindlessly buying whatever Disney/Marvel is selling.

Since there is more than 1 outlet, this is neither here nor there as a useful metric.

A fanatic does not have to pay for both to fall under the category that I described. 2c

Michaela Coel has joined the ensemble cast of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” the sequel to the top-grossing Marvel film “Black Panther.”

Character details are locked up per usual, though insiders said Coel has joined director Ryan Coogler at Atlanta’s Pinewood Studios, where production began last month.  Marvel Studios declined to comment on the matter.

Coel exploded onto Hollywood’s radar in 2020 with her critically-acclaimed HBO Max series “I May Destroy You,” for which she’s received four nominations in this year’s Primetime Emmy race. As writer, director, producer and star, Coel portrayed a popular writer processing rape trauma in contemporary London.

Please no. I hate the pairing the Storm and T'Challa. Hate it.