• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (SPOILERS)
5 5

365 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

Hulk is weak in the head.

Girlfriends always look after their boyfriends - even aliens know that.

They own something slightly stronger than a telescope.

Excellently invalid answers.

:baiting:

CinemaScore Earned By Marvel's AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Over The Weekend

If you've seen Avengers: Infinity War, you'll no doubt realize why some critics have said it could be as divisive as Star Wars: The Last Jedi. However, it doesn't appear as if Marvel Studios' latest movie needs to worry about any sort of backlash because it earned an impressive "A" CinemaScore from moviegoers this weekend. That points to word of mouth being positive which will no doubt pay off in a lot of ways.

How? Well, repeat viewings and people recommending Avengers: Infinity War to friends will have a significant impact at the box office and after that record-breaking weekend, it appears as if the sky may be the limit for this movie. It's the 15th release from Marvel Studios to earn an "A," while three others gained a solid "A-." The only one to fall out of that bracket is 2011's THOR with a still great "B+."

16 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I agree about the Starlin material.  

They’re following it for the most part.  At the beginning of the movie, the Hulk takes the place of the Surfer (in the books).

During the credits, they specifically call out Jim Starlin for his contribution to the story.  

14 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:
17 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I agree about the Starlin material.  

They’re following it for the most part.  At the beginning of the movie, the Hulk takes the place of the Surfer (in the books).

During the credits, they specifically call out Jim Starlin for his contribution to the story.  

Yes they gave credit to several creators.

I was wondering if Death was going to show up or not the whole movie. I was hoping Little Gamora at end was her.

12 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
17 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I agree about the Starlin material.  But...

I think they have to limit who they can bring back.  Otherwise why not bring back EVERYBODY they ever lost in the past.  They have to limit it to only the ones that got turned to ash.

I also don't think they can bring back Gamora (even though they did in the comic).  She was sacrificed to get the soul stone.  Bringing her back would be in conflict with the rules of the infinity gem.  There has to be a definitive/permanent purpose of the sacrifice...otherwise there is no consequences.

I think that is the challenge Marvel has made for themselves with this movie. If everyone is brought back to life, all that emotional buildup audiences experienced would be disingenuous - but due to storytelling.

But if the remaining heroes figure out how to reverse Thanos's plan, you would think the power of the Time Stone is naturally being applied in this case. Depending on how the story plays out, this may seem too easy a wrap-up. But it would make sense from the backstory of the gems.

Time Stone: Allows the user to see into the past and the future; stop, slow down, speed up or reverse the flow of time; time travel; change the past and the future; age and de-age beings; and trap people or entire universes in unending loops of time. At full potential, the Time Gem grants the user omniscience and total control over the past, present and future.

Without an Adam Warlock, I wonder who in the end will be the keeper of the Infinity Gauntlet?

If anything Marvel has shown they don't have to follow the original storyline. I like all the possibilities of who could be the keeper of the Gauntlet. It doesn't look like currently its going to be Warlock.

Thoughts:

-Did they knock over the Cap statue from a Steranko cover in the park scene in the beginning?

-Surviving characters will sacrifice themselves to save all the dead.

-As turning to dust strange said it was the only way to Stark and looked at him as if he knows Stark will be the real sacrifice.

-I swear that when Thanos tries to push/crush Cap he has a moment where he’s like WTF? How are YOU this strong?  Then he punches him.  That was very cool.

-Perhaps Captain Marvel will take on the role of Warlock from the comics. 

-I wish Fury sent the sos to Richards, Logan, Xavier.  That would’ve been awesome.

-Dr. Strange seemed to have a very strong negative reaction when Tony said Steve Rogers would know where to find Vision.  Have they met before?

-Thor’s new weapon seemed to be half axe half hammer no?  So the hammer pairing isn’t totally gone.

-I think it’s safe to say all the dusted chracters souls are in the Soul stone.  

-I look forward to Cap getting his shield back.

48 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

-Thor’s new weapon seemed to be half axe half hammer no?  So the hammer pairing isn’t totally gone.

It was “Stormbreaker”.  In the comics, Odin created it for Beta Ray Bill as he was worthy enough to wield Mjolnir.  

I would nerdgasm if BRB shows up in Part 2.

48 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

-As turning to dust strange said it was the only way to Stark and looked at him as if he knows Stark will be the real sacrifice.

I never thought of this.  I always assumed Stark would be the one to wield the gauntlet so he will need to sacrifice someone.  Dr. Strange had to keep Tony alive because he will be the sacrifice...interesting(thumbsu.

So new theory...Captain America will sacrifice Stark to wield the gauntlet???  Maybe???

1 minute ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I never thought of this.  I always assumed Stark would be the one to wield the gauntlet so he will need to sacrifice someone.  Dr. Strange had to keep Tony alive because he will be the sacrifice...interesting(thumbsu.

So new theory...Captain America will sacrifice Stark to wield the gauntlet???  Maybe???

You have to think Stark is dead in the next one (RJD can’t play him forever).  They’ve got to give him a swan song.  What better way than him dying to save the universe from Thanos?   He’ll be the key to winning the IW.  

4 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

IIRC Warlock wore the gauntlet in the IG comic, so maybe Captain marvel or warlick (if he appears)

I still don’t know if Marvel had the rights to use Warlock in the movies.

Warlock was mentioned in Guardians 2 during the after the credits scene. He's coming, but not sure if he'll be in part 2 or not. Likely Guardians 3.

2 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Thoughts:

-Surviving characters will sacrifice themselves to save all the dead.-Perhaps Captain Marvel will take on the role of Warlock from the comics. 

-I wish Fury sent the sos to Richards, Logan, Xavier. 

Conjecture: the Starlin male Capt Marvel (if no Warlock) will give up his life to stop Thanos. Then the female Ms Marvel will take up the mantle and position of next Capt. Marvel? Have to check the release dates of the female (shrug) Capt Marvel movie vs Avengers 4: Infinity War.

50 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Conjecture: the Starlin male Capt Marvel (if no Warlock) will give up his life to stop Thanos. Then the female Ms Marvel will take up the mantle and position of next Capt. Marvel? Have to check the release dates of the female (shrug) Capt Marvel movie vs Avengers 4: Infinity War.

The Captain Marvel movie is set in the 1990s, so that won't happen. 

I always assumed that Captain Marvel will take the place of Warlock in the next movie.

Even though he was directly referenced in Guardians 2.

Given that he wasn't mentioned at all here, he'd be too much of a deus ex machina to intro and be given such a pivotal role to in Part 2 alone.

8 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

-I swear that when Thanos tries to push/crush Cap he has a moment where he’s like WTF? How are YOU this strong?  Then he punches him.  That was very cool.

It really was a cool scene.

8 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

-Perhaps Captain Marvel will take on the role of Warlock from the comics.

I didn't even think of that. A good point.

It certainly got my attention.

Maybe Wall Street can take a hint and switch to making money, The Disney Way, instead of, well, selling pigs to China and stuff.

Very impressive. Even in my part of rural mountain nowhere America, my neighbors drove 3 hrs. and 22 min. (well, not really, more like a 1/2 hour) to see it and loved it and that is all that was talked about at the local gas station/coffee house/nightclub/car wash/school bus stop yesterday. I guess I will have to go see this one. It will be the first movie I have seen in a theater in many years. It better be worth the $2.50.