• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (SPOILERS)
5 5

365 posts in this topic

Just now, Max Carnage said:

Mind blown - Thanos was the hero all along and was the only one with the big picture :whee:

I still can't rule that out.  It's going to be the angle I go into a re-watch with, to see if he betrays anything making it obvious that he hasn't thought that through.

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

My co-worker who has not see any of the last 4 Marvel movies could not figure out the basic backstory of the 19+ characters and how and why the various teams meet to cooperate in 1 Thanos movie.

i have a couple co-workers that fit that mold, but I'd never hold them out for testimonials.

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me why red skull was on the planet with the soul stone?  Why did the space stone teleport him there?  Also how do you think stormbreaker was able to withstand the full power of the IG and land a blow to thanos? 

Those are good questions; not sure of the logic on the Red Skull appearance, but it probably sounded cool in the -script room.  :idea:

Regarding Stormbreaker, it could be that the Dwarf that forged the actual IG knew enough about the stones/gauntlet to forge a magic weapon that was magically resistant to its powers.  Thor wanted a weapon that could kill Thanos, so he complied.  Sorry, "magic" is all I got on that one.

Another question for everyone:

Thanos says on Titan that he knows Stark's name, noting that "You're not the only one cursed with knowledge."  How does he know of Stark?  What knowledge does he have?  I found the line intriguing and think that will be picked up in Avengers 4.  Thoughts?  (maybe I'm missing something obvious?)

Dan

Thor says that Thanos "killed half my people" during the spaceship battle; many wonder if half the Asgardians, including Valkyrie, got away on escape pods or something before Thanos boarded the big ship.  From the -script, it seems like half of them escaped somehow.

Just now, Drummy said:

Thor says that Thanos "killed half my people" during the spaceship battle; many wonder if half the Asgardians, including Valkyrie, got away on escape pods or something before Thanos boarded the big ship.  From the --script, it seems like half of them escaped somehow.

correct.  in fact, i thought that perhaps a mid-credits scene was going to show valkyrie and a buncha displaced asgardians on some new/to-colonize planet.  oh, well.

5 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Those are good questions; not sure of the logic on the Red Skull appearance, but it probably sounded cool in the --script room.  :idea:

Regarding Stormbreaker, it could be that the Dwarf that forged the actual IG knew enough about the stones/gauntlet to forge a magic weapon that was magically resistant to its powers.  Thor wanted a weapon that could kill Thanos, so he complied.  Sorry, "magic" is all I got on that one.

Ok, I can see that maybe...thanks for the supplemental viewpoint!

6 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Another question for everyone:

Thanos says on Titan that he knows Stark's name, noting that "You're not the only one cursed with knowledge."  How does he know of Stark?  What knowledge does he have?  I found the line intriguing and think that will be picked up in Avengers 4.  Thoughts?  (maybe I'm missing something obvious?)

Maybe cursed with knowledge as in being born an intellectual prodigy like Tony...how that gave him knowledge of Stark I don't know.  Maybe from watching the goings on in NY during the 1st movie?

Just now, Mystafo said:

Ok, I can see that maybe...thanks for the supplemental viewpoint!

Maybe cursed with knowledge as in being born an intellectual prodigy like Tony...how that gave him knowledge of Stark I don't know.  Maybe from watching the goings on in NY during the 1st movie?

When a guy in a metal suit flies into space and singlehandedly destroys your army, you're gonna know about him.  At least, that's my guess.

34 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me why red skull was on the planet with the soul stone?  Why did the space stone teleport him there? 

I don't think we know.  All we know is he was teleported by the Tesseract to an unknown location, and now he's here for some reason.

26 minutes ago, Drummy said:

I assumed he could just see Stark only had technological powers far beyond that of his species and saw a kindred spirit in that regard.

3 hours ago, JazzMan said:

How many of you thought that Mantis and Drax were dead when Thanos chopped them up in Nowhere?

Guess I was the only one that thought of the mind-sync warp from Warlock storyline. I thought that was awesome, and he was bending reality (gun bubbles too).

This movie was such a nod to the comic fans, that's what I love so much about it.

starlin-thanos-vs-drax-2.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

I wouldn't be surprised if they stick to the comics and Nebula is the one to first get the Gauntlet from Thanos. She'll reverse everything immediately to spite Thanos and will get her sister back in a big movie moment.

Tony is clearly the key though. When Dr Strange made his speech about the protecting the gem over Tony and/or Peter it struck me immediately as out of character (I am a big Doc guy and overall loved him in this movie) but then when you see that they needed something to contrast with his decision to give the Gem to Thanos it makes movie sense. Doc was awesome in this movie I thought, powerful enough to do well against Thanos even though he had 4 gems by then. He was kicking names and taking azz.

10 minutes ago, Bird said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they stick to the comics and Nebula is the one to first get the Gauntlet from Thanos. She'll reverse everything immediately to spite Thanos and will get her sister back in a big movie moment.

Tony is clearly the key though. When Dr Strange made his speech about the protecting the gem over Tony and/or Peter it struck me immediately as out of character (I am a big Doc guy and overall loved him in this movie) but then when you see that they needed something to contrast with his decision to give the Gem to Thanos it makes movie sense. Doc was awesome in this movie I thought, powerful enough to do well against Thanos even though he had 4 gems by then. He was kicking names and taking azz.

Yep, and the way he tortured Nebula made me think immediately of Infinity Gauntlet -- she was like a walking corpse and assumed to have zero threat in the storyline. Yet, that miscalculation was what finally cost him the glove.

Strange was my favorite character here. He killed it. Always strategizing and clearly the wisest senior member of all, IMO.

6 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I didn’t particularly like the Dr. Strange movie, but really liked him in this movie. He was a badazz.  He and Thor were really the only heroes that could even compete with Thanos.  

I was psyched when I saw him sitting in that lotus position wigging out! Finally someone wields their gem like a master!!!

I also bemoan the lack of cosmic characters but adding them at this point would be too much. Even having a Watcher show up wouldn't work much less Eternity, The Living Tribunal or Chaos/Order. The Dr Strange solo movies have to set that all up (or FF obviously but lacking that Doc is the most obvious route). If Kree/Skrull are coming in Captain Marvel as rumored that could at least intro some more characters but nothing too cosmic right away.