• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New UPC Variant for Superman 75 4th Printing
2 2

44 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Kenaran -- dang it... now you have me looking for stickers!    I found an Action 775 newsstand issue with sticker on it in Asheville last weekend (truth is, my wife pulled it out and asked if I needed that newsstand issue... go figure)

Turns out Action 775 newsstand issues have an error on the bar code.  They have a little number "4" at the tail end of the serial number on the underside of the bar code.   All other Action Comics newsstand issues have a the number "3" in that spot of the serial number.    The sticker has the correct number "3" in that spot.   See photos, which hopefully are clear enough to see that number.

I hope this doesn't cause me to start checking all these numbers on other newsstand issues looking for similar defects... I ain't doin' it!

No, don't do it! It's a rabbit hole!

:D

I have never found the explanation for that specific number. The number at the upper right is either the month or the issue number (depending), the first five digits at the bottom are the company code, and the second five are the title code...but that one number, I haven't found an explanation for.

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No, don't do it! It's a rabbit hole!

:D

I have never found the explanation for that specific number. The number at the upper right is either the month or the issue number (depending), the first five digits at the bottom are the company code, and the second five are the title code...but that one number, I haven't found an explanation for.

good to know.    I hate to say it, but I did go down the rabbit hole on the upper right number (the one that shows month or issue number) on all newsstand issues of Action, Detective, Batman, and Superman after finding out about the error on Action 759 newsstand.   Did not see a lot of discrepancies except for the known ones.   I hate to say it, but I have 3 different versions of stickers on Action 759.  These stickers have to be one of the dumbest rabbit holes ever, but what the heck.

Edited by Cpt Kirk