• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I learned something new today with "Qualified" grading!

17 posts in this topic

I did realize that CGC would use "Qualified" labels for detached staples, and today I received 2 "nice" books with it for other reasons.

A Thor 154 9.0 because it had someones name on the back cover written and Flash 177 9.4 because of a .15 cent round sticker put on the book.

Any other instances of qualified labels?

Steve

I did realize that CGC would use "Qualified" labels for detached staples, and today I received 2 "nice" books with it for other reasons.

A Thor 154 9.0 because it had someones name on the back cover written and Flash 177 9.4 because of a .15 cent round sticker put on the book.

Steve

I just had book with two additional staples added to the spine come back as an 8.0 qualified.

I have books with writing on the cover. I don't recollect where this would qualify for a GLOD.

Only if they are high grade would they get a GLOD. gossip.gif

I can see the value of the green label on that Thor. That is a mighty big crayon signature on the back, a more significant defect I think than the typical small arrival date or discrete Winnipeg OO name in pen.

I've slabbed two books that came back with green labels. One had the centerfold detached from one staple. The other supposedly had the staples cleaned - I say "supposedly" because I purchased the book slabbed with an old BLUE label. The sucker not only changed color, but also dropped one grading unit, to add injury to insult.

I can see the value of the green label on that Thor. That is a mighty big crayon signature on the back, a more significant defect I think than the typical small arrival date or discrete Winnipeg OO name in pen.

I've slabbed two books that came back with green labels. One had the centerfold detached from one staple. The other supposedly had the staples cleaned - I say "supposedly" because I purchased the book slabbed with an old BLUE label. The sucker not only changed color, but also dropped one grading unit, to add injury to insult.

foreheadslap.gif Personally, if the qualifying thing is staples cleaned, I would bid pretty close to an unrestored price.

Steve

I guess you got the GLOD because of the size of the name written on the back. The 15 cent sticker GLOD is really surprising, and shows that CGC is being inconsistent. I've submitted a book with a similar sticker and it got a blue label. It was only a mid-grade book, though, but that shouldn't be the basis for giving a book a blue or green label.

Mephisto,

No it doesn't. I was kind of surprised at the qualified grade but I do remember having a Spiderman 1 gold sear (I think) that was signed by McFarlane with the paperwork that backed up his signature and got a qualified label a few years ago.

TTH2,

I do also remember seeing another book with a sticker I think last year that was a blue label. I wonder if CGC has changed the thought process and if I were to remove the label and leave the ring how it would have been graded?

In any event both books will be up for sale on Sunday along with some others in the 8.5-9.4 range, Marvel and DC

Steve

that sounds crazt to get Qualified cause some kid scrawled his name on it "too large". Lots of us did that at camp so other kids couldnt steal our books. So was this name WAY too large for a blue label? :crazy

I'm wit ya here Aman!!! insane.gif

i have never fully understood the whole qualified thing. i've got about 4 books in 9.0 Q for a detached lower staple.

on that Flash - how soon after that issue did the price really switch to 15cents??