• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robert A Iger on Disney's Movies
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Robert A Iger statement from Disney's May 2018 Earnings Call

Turning to our Studio, it's hard to come up with enough superlatives to adequately express the tremendous work that team is doing. It's clear from the recent results, as well as from the slate ahead, that our Studio has and will continue to raise the bar in terms of both creative and commercial success.

The incredible performance of Marvel's Black Panther is just one of many examples. This groundbreaking movie opened to huge acclaim and record-breaking box office, instantly becoming a cultural phenomenon, inspiring people of all ages and breaking down age-old industry myths.

With more than $1.3 billion in box office to-date, Black Panther makes a very loud statement about the importance of risk taking and the value of inclusion. We're proud of this movie on so many levels. It speaks volumes about great innovative story-telling, the power of new perspectives, and unbridled creativity.

We follow the phenomenal success of Black Panther with another Marvel masterpiece Avengers: Infinity War, which broke domestic and global records to become the largest movie opening in history. With this latest success, our studio has delivered 9 of the top 10 biggest domestic box office openings of all time, all of them released in the last six years.

Infinity War crossed $1 billion at the box office faster than any film ever released, with worldwide box office of $1.2 billion to-date before it is even opened in China. Judging from strong ticket pre-sales and anticipation I saw during my recent visit, Chinese audiences are eager to see this movie too.

There are now 19 movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, with a combined box office of more than $16 billion and an average box office of $845 million per film. The MCU is by far the most lucrative box office franchise of all time, creating an incredible pipeline of proven branded IP that drives significant opportunity across our entire organization.

Wow

9 of the top 10 biggest domestic box office openings of all time
MCU is by far the most lucrative box office franchise of all time.  

Wonder how the MCU movies stack up when adjusted for inflation? The fact that these "9 of the 10 biggest openings of all time" happened in the last 6 years says a lot about inflation and ticket prices, as opposed to tickets sold. 

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Wonder how the MCU movies stack up when adjusted for inflation? The fact that these "9 of the 10 biggest openings of all time" happened in the last 6 years says a lot about inflation and ticket prices, as opposed to tickets sold. 

Yes, but...

I'm pretty sure that Disney isn't the only Studio putting out films in the last 6 years.  They do deserve some credit for what they've done right.

3 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Yes, but...

I'm pretty sure that Disney isn't the only Studio putting out films in the last 6 years.  They do deserve some credit for what they've done right.

Oh, sure, not knocking them. The movies are hugely successful and it's an indisputable empire. I'm just curious about how it stacks up in the grand scheme of things, as I believe actual movie attendance continues to dwindle every year. It seems like every year there's a new #1 movie of all time, so I have to wonder how much of it really means anything, and how much is just PR spin.

Satisfying my own curiosity, here's Boxoffemojo's all time adjusted for inflation chart. Avengers is the highest grossing Marvel flick, checking in at 29, with Black Panther right behind it at 30. Again, not crapping on the movies, just interested in putting it in perspective. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

PS: This is US domestic only.

Edited by F For Fake
added PS

9 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Satisfying my own curiosity, here's Boxoffemojo's all time adjusted for inflation chart. Avengers is the highest grossing Marvel flick, checking in at 29, with Black Panther right behind it at 30. Again, not crapping on the movies, just interested in putting it in perspective. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

PS: This is US domestic only.

Fair enough, these Disney movies may not ring the bell compared to movies released during times when going to a movie was more common but stacked up against other studios in this era of low viewership they're absolutely killing it.

14 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Fair enough, these Disney movies may not ring the bell compared to movies released during times when going to a movie was more common but stacked up against other studios in this era of low viewership they're absolutely killing it.

Absolutely!