• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underground/Newave Comix: Post Your Obscure, Undocumented or Rarely Discussed
7 7

534 posts in this topic

Many kudos to the author of this thread for doing all this work. It never ceases to amaze me, just how many obscure comix there were that have practically slipped through the proverbial cracks. It's heartening to see that people are working to preserve them.

For those interested, there's a group on Facebook that is maintained by Dan Fogel, where people share information on such things: https://www.facebook.com/groups/110711732384797

On 7/3/2023 at 12:20 PM, comixbible said:

Many kudos to the author of this thread for doing all this work. It never ceases to amaze me, just how many obscure comix there were that have practically slipped through the proverbial cracks. It's heartening to see that people are working to preserve them.

For those interested, there's a group on Facebook that is maintained by Dan Fogel, where people share information on such things: https://www.facebook.com/groups/110711732384797

Thanks! I've spent a couple of years on and off out of curiosity trying to find out more about this book and why the color is different from every other copy I've ever seen (whether it's an error, later print, etc.). Just posted on the group, hopefully someone there will have some info.

IMG_2491.thumb.JPG.85afd91b616750ea867264d4247b5409.JPG

On 7/6/2023 at 1:34 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

Thanks! I've spent a couple of years on and off out of curiosity trying to find out more about this book and why the color is different from every other copy I've ever seen (whether it's an error, later print, etc.). Just posted on the group, hopefully someone there will have some info.

IMG_2491.thumb.JPG.85afd91b616750ea867264d4247b5409.JPG

It looks to simply be a misprint, where only the color blue was printed. Neat item, could be worth something to someone who collects printing errors. It's not really an underground comix or from the Bronze age, so it doesn't really fit this thread.

On 7/14/2023 at 7:55 PM, Brother J said:

It looks to simply be a misprint, where only the color blue was printed. Neat item, could be worth something to someone who collects printing errors. It's not really an underground comix or from the Bronze age, so it doesn't really fit this thread.

Thanks! Can you tell me why it isn't really an underground? Is it because it was published in '86 after the movement was moving mainstream? I'm always looking to learn more - thanks!

On 7/14/2023 at 8:55 PM, Brother J said:

Sun fade?

On 7/14/2023 at 9:03 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Thanks! Can you tell me why it isn't really an underground? Is it because it was published in '86 after the movement was moving mainstream? I'm always looking to learn more - thanks!

Sorry for so long before responding. I don't really collect comics anymore. The question you ask is hard to answer, but I will try. Underground comix was a movement, started in the 1960's with the hippy culture. Probably a solid definition for underground comix can be found at wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_comix

The book you have is considered an indy or independent comic. Coming from the tradition of Cerebus, Elfquest and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. After the Turtles hit big, there was a period of time where everyone wanted to self publish their own black and white comic, so much so to the point a lot of substandard work came out and it became a glut of poor quality black and white books. I would probably guess this book came out around this time, due to the subject matter.

Here's a group of books that I found recently. There are a few boxes of UG's/Erotic Comics that I am trying to figure out what to do with. Can't sell on eBay. There's a set of Hornee Biker Sl&ts as well and a lot of books published by EROS. I might rely on MCS to help find a market for these

IMG_0655.thumb.JPG.bfc7372fd3c5eb04dca96339136fee46.JPGIMG_0656.thumb.JPG.d20832f163881c2ce673c80d3b898f30.JPGIMG_0657.thumb.JPG.d17f8cd2cccebccfe189dcf600ac361d.JPGIMG_0659.thumb.JPG.85db138840f1e5450ce29a482c0c3822.JPG

IMG_0660.thumb.JPG.41b5afa1607152d7ef400a07929d33a5.JPGIMG_0661.thumb.JPG.3e44f87cc67fc237fe360c11a6b173b1.JPGIMG_0662.thumb.JPG.16422c6cf4ca078d090d763b12ce7a94.JPGIMG_0663.thumb.JPG.ae445e77b188404591d63d0380acf592.JPG

IMG_0668.thumb.JPG.8449a3f1c0496ef91e4587a2c1abb513.JPG

I'm glad I discovered this thread, I've skimmed to lightly so far and find it fascinating. I have read and collected undergrounds since the 70s, but am the sort of collector who purges the collection with life's changes, and presently my collection is modest.

I have the opportunity to purchase a long box of undergrounds (bagged but not boarded). The collection is all books interesting to me and in fairly nice condition, 6.0 to 8.0 on average, presenting very well but most seem to have crunches or other defects that prevent them from grading higher. I offered an amount I was comfortable with paying, but they are holding out for about 50% more than my offer.

I do not really speculate on comics to resell, but only buy what I like, and frequently pay too much for books I really like. What I am wondering is what the market really looks like for undergrounds, which boils down to how many people are there out there who love these books and want to collect them? It seems to me that the market is small and somewhat stagnant for most run of the mill books, and even keys seem to be selling at or less than I remember a decade ago. I'm wondering if I pay the higher price, do I have any chance that they will appreciate in value over the next ten years? Any thoughts on this would be very welcome.