• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underground/Newave Comix: Post Your Obscure, Undocumented or Rarely Discussed
7 7

534 posts in this topic

The Last Adventure of the Greatest Man on Earth

Published by: Parachute Saloon Press; Contributors: Steve Schutzman; Mark Seidenberg; Date: 1975; Price: $1.50 (according Kennedy); Page Count: 9 single side pages and cardboard backer

Size: Life magazine (11.0 x 14.15) Kennedy #: 1142; Print information: one printing; 300 signed copies

A really well executed and unusual send-up story about "Superman". Its most interesting aspect (to me) is its format. Where else can you find a book that: uses 9 single sided Life magazine sized pages that are directly stapled onto an equally large brown cardboard backer?

l1.PNGl2.PNGl3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Gooz! Comix

Published by: Whizz Comix; Contributors: Larry Rippee; Greg Dominci; Tweedy Watts; Date: 1972; Price: 15 cents; Page Count: 12 pages;

Size: small comic (5.5 x 8.5) Kennedy #: 880; Print information: one printing; unknown copies

Gooz! was published under the same banner, Whizz Comix, as some of my other all time underground favourites: the four issues of Dirty Girdie's Comix and Boo!. It could be argued that either Gooz! or the very last issue of Dirty Girdie are the least difficult titles to find from the Whizz catalogue.  But none the titles should ever be considered to be an easy find.

g1.PNGg2.PNGg3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Alternative Media Comics and Stories

Published by: Alternative Media Project; Contributors: Gilbert Shelton; Date: 1972; Price: free; Page Count: 8 pages;

Size: comic (7.0 x 8.5); Kennedy #: 49; Print information: one printing; unknown number of copies; some copies have an authenticity thumb print

This all Shelton effort was given away along with copies of Saturday Mindf*ckee Funnies at a Goddard College conference. When I paid a lot of money for my copy, I actually had expected a copy of SMFF to be folded-in as part of its pages. That will teach me for not doing my research. The uncommon rarity of AMCS will probably give me the only opportunity to post a Freak Brothers within this thread, so enjoy.

a1.PNGa2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Lab Rat Funnies (hand coloured cover version)

Published by: Chimera Productions; Contributors: Steven F. Scharff; Date: 1981; Price: 75 cents for hand coloured version; Page Count: 8 pages;

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.5); Kennedy #: 1133; Print information: one printing; 200 numbered copies; some copies have a hand coloured, signed front cover

Steven Scharff has had a long involvement in furry fandom and anthropomorphic comics. Lab Rat may be his very first published effort with Everything You've Always Wanted to Know About Funny Animals coming a close second.

The copy shown is the hand coloured version with a personal dedication to Jay Kennedy. It took me some time to figure out the cryptic signature that appears lower front and back covers. At first I had thought it was vertically orientated Morse code, but its merely the creator's last name (Scharffe) print dashed out, like a dot matrix printer.

I have independently heard from two other well-known, newave creators that Schraff was known to write to the creators of other anthropomorphic comix, only to "critter-cize" their efforts - like "that's not realistic porcupines cannot shoot their quills" etc. I guess there is a strict code of honour in the furry community, including to always ensure: the accuracy of animals characters and that rented furry costumes are hosed-off/boiled prior to return.

ll1.PNGll3.PNGll4.PNGll2.PNG

f6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Pseudo Pstrips

Published by: Crystal Egg Productions; Contributor: Art Vient; Date: 1972; Price: 50 cents; Page Count: 28 pages

Size: comic (6.75 x 9.75) Kennedy #: 1592; Print information: unknown

Everything about Pseudo Pstrips comes from the land of strange, including its: colour cover art, inner B&W art, stories and print stock. Perhaps not as rare as Kennedy's 1982 guide price of $25 would lead one to believe it to be, it's still a bit of a worthwhile chore to find in the marketplace.

p1.PNGp2.PNGp3.PNGp4.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Essence of Tool #4

Published by: Essence of Tool Universal Mind Press; Contributor: Roach Gollum; Harold Young; Date: 1975; Price: no cover price $1.51 according to Kennedy; Page Count: 52 pages

Size: magazine (8.75 x 11.0); Kennedy #: 675; Print information: 1000 copies

I bought my very cheaply priced copy of Essence of Tool on-line from Milehigh comics. Chuck must have purchased 975 out of the 1000 initially produced copies from the basement inventory of one of the creators and is slowly releasing his horde into the marketplace, one copy at a time. This is because I have not personally seen another copy offered for sale anywhere else. There are a few other books that fall into this category of decent production but lack of distribution/sales/exposure to the marketplace: probably Jacques, Pipkin Papers and Quoz.

Kennedy wondered in his guide, if whether Essence of Tool #1-3 ever existed or were merely skipped phantom issues. A wise collecting birdie has recently told and shown me that in fact these earlier issues were produced. But it's their prerogative whether if they wish to share more of these specifics. In addition, the Universal Mind Press published a number of ultra rare comics and posters after EoT #4, including the Kennedy listed Reason the Gnaw.

Capture.PNGe4.PNGe3.PNGe2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

I Am (first printing - blood print version)

Published by: Cosmic Comics; Contributor: Regg "Rey" King; Date: 1972; Price: $1.00; Page Count: 48 pages

Size: magazine (8.75 x 11.25); Kennedy #: 1019; Print information: two printings; first printing 1000 copies, 500 of which are signed blood print version

With 500 copies produced, there definitely should be more copies of I Am available for sale. Instead, it seems that an example may be offered maybe once every two or three years.

As a possible  explanation, I do know that there are discrepancies between the information cited in Kennedy Guide and what Rey King states as the true print numbers for another group of his publications - Cosmic Circus. Kennedy states that Cosmic Circus #2 had a print run of 500 copies and 5,000 copies for Cosmic Circus #5. While Regg King, reports that only maybe 2-3 copies of CC #2 were produced and CC #5 was about 50 copies. Perhaps Kennedy also overstated the availability of the Blood Print.

i1.PNG13.PNG14.PNG12.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Alien C*mshots #1 (first printing)

Published by: Roger May; Contributor: see image of inner front cover; Date: 1980; Price: 50 cents (first printing); Page Count: 24 pages

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.5); Kennedy #: 34; Print information: two printings; first printing 100 copies, second printing 30 copies

Alien C*mshots #2

Published by: Roger May; Contributor: see image of inner front cover; Date: 1980; Price: $1.50; Page Count: 24 pages

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.5); Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

I have several points of discussion relating to these two issues of the Roger May led smut-minis:

1. I have passed over purchasing at least two other copies of ACS #1, because I had thought at the time that the sellers were offering reader damaged copies for sale - magic marker covering the 50 cent cover price and filling in small parts the front and back cover art.  I now suspect that these copies were probably played with by Roger May himself - wanting to charge more than 50 cent for his excess remainders and to foster his need to doodle. On most items, I personally do not mind if the creator is the source of the issue, so I bought the third "magic marked" copy to cross my path.
  2. I earlier I posted information about a similar publication Look, It's C*m from OuterspaceBecause of the similar titles, themes and artwork, I would credit Gary Halgren as being the anonymous creator of LICFOS.
  3. Kennedy did not list ACS #2 in his guide, even though a big name like May was involved and published in 1981.  This surprises me, perhaps it has a low print run.  I was not even aware of its existence until I was offered a copy for purchase.
  4. There is also a ACS #3 that was produced much later in 1992, that's a little outside the scope of this thread.

a1.PNGa2.PNGa3.PNG

a4.PNGa5.PNGa6.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Lands of Prestor John

Publisher: Nobel Comics; Contributors: Mike Gustovich; Mike Gorman; John Stroker; Lynn Kindervatter; Eleanor Schuler; Topper Holmers; Date: 1977; Price: $1.25; Page Count: 64 pages

Size: magazine (8.5 x 11.0) Kennedy #: aboveground 128; Print information: unknown

Until a couple of copies were offered for sale about a year ago, I had never heard of/paid attention to this publication. It's basically a decent prozine with some superhero and sci-fi content. Definitely not rare, but it does seem to fly under the radar of a lot of collectors and really is not discussed. There's lots of material like this from the same era. Why did Kennedy honour Prestor John with an aboveground listing? Probably because of Gustovitch and his work on Cobalt Blue and involvement with Joe Zabel.

p1.PNGp3.PNGp4.PNGp2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Lands of Prestor John, Essence of Tool #4

I got both of them on e-bay for a very few bucks.

Thanks to let me know about them.

Looking for your next obscure ones.

cheers

mario

ps if you wish, I see more of both on e-bay

Edited by ug18

Clara Asmud

Published by: Jodga Publishing; Contributors: S. Stringfellow; Date: 1977; Price: no cover price Page Count: five folded 8.5 x 13 sheets; stapled to the outer edge (not the middle fold) of a folded card cover

Size: comic (7.0 x 8.5) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

I noticed this title in the listings for 2-3 underground collections.  I managed to find and purchase a copy from a seller on Amazon, who still may have another copy still for sale. Clara Asmud (say it out loud) is basically a snapshot of the personal and professional life of a secretary who works at a girdle manufacturing plant. The artwork, story and the book's construction are maybe too unconventional and personal for most.

c1.PNGc3.PNGc2.PNGc4.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Grue-Toons

Published by: Bruce Chrislip; Contributors: Bud Perkins; Bruce Chrislip;  Date: 1979; Price: 75 cents; Page Count: 16 pages

Size: small comic (5.5 x 8.5) Kennedy #: 927; Print information: one printing; 100 copies

Before getting into collecting undergrounds, I had (and still do) a great fondness for bronze age horror pulp magazines. The same could be said for the creators of the underground comix that I collect. Many began their love of drawing and story telling by reading golden age horror pulps in their younger days.

Grue-Toons is the third and final Kennedy listed horror-zine produced by Bud Perkins. I would have to thought that there enough raw talent for Bud Perkins to eventually have been able to work as a professional in comic publishing. So did Bruce Chrislip, who published the material and wrote its introduction. But for whatever reason, it seems that Perkins published very little after Grue-Toons.

s1.PNGs2.PNGs3.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Hi

I have a question about Filipino Food.

Kennedy lists the 1972 edition by Olympia Press as  #733
Question: is it the following one?
FF_OlympiaPress_9780700411016-us.jpg.50ccb325bd1113deb9f534d70ef6382c.jpg

Kennedy also states: "an earlier limited edition of 1000 copies for $1.25 is reported of by Dace Dawdy on page 63 of The Last Supplement To The Whole Earth Catalog". Is it the following one? if not, which is which?43a86fe6b57a44257907ffde5339cfe6.jpg.c16098337d1d74584663f5d47b0b8fbf.jpg

We all know (don't you?) there is a precious, special, wood covered edition:
FF_Wood_880101199.jpg.029131a98e58be113827a427023d77cc.jpg

I just discovered that there is a greek edition too:
A.thumb.jpg.1998f721518d24688455c10030d05907.jpg

RE: Filipino Food

Yes Mario, that's the Kennedy listed the 1972 edition by Olympia Press - #733 (second printing) and was published by Dave Dawby, who tipped Kennedy off about the earlier printing

The earlier limited edition that Kennedy refers to is the one with wood boards that you refer to as "special".  It is the true, first printing, also published by Dave Dawby. It is definitely special not for its rarity but more for its quality. These are considered to be readily available, but sadly nearly always seems to carry an expensive price tag.

There are many later and international editions, especially in Europe. I believe that the second and third  paperbacks you have shown are some examples of those.

Reminder this is a thread for either: obscure, undocumented or rarely discussed UG or newaves from the 70s, early 80s.  I do not want to offend Guy (who started the "unofficial underground thread" nearly 10 years ago) by drawing in discussions that could belong in his thread.  A question concerning a well known item like Filipino Food (1000 copies) should first start there to keep me out of trouble:

Edited by CDNComix

Beauty is Conditioned

Published by: self; Contributors: E.V. Goodman;  Date: 1971; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 20 pages

Size: small comic (5.5 x 8.5) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

Cardboard Love

Published by: Blatant Image; Contributors: E.E. Moore; D.H. Miclosky; Susan Dodge; Date: unknown; Price: 50 cents; Page Count: 8 pages

Size: digest (5.0 x 6.5) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: unknown

The extraordinary object shown below is a small Neolithic figure that anthropologists believe to be have been created over 20,000 years ago.  The Venus of Willendorf is physical proof that even the earliest humans were preoccupied with the notion of female beauty and appearance.  Notice her hair coiffure?

20,000 years later in the 70s, the concern over female beauty and image is mirrored in small press comics. Beauty is Conditioned is more of an illustrated essay tract that explores what the creator calls IMIJIZM (image-ism). Cardboard Love which was published by Al Greenier explores a character's (Prunella) quest for the best hair colour - brunette or blond.

Advance another 20,000 years into the future, maybe humans will be able to unravel the mysteries of quantum world, finally allowing the Prunellas-of-the-world to be: both blonde and brunette simultaneously - just like Schrodinger's cat.

PS: personally I thought that Prunella was better suited as a natural brunette. Opps, I am falling prey to IMIJIZM.

b1.PNGb2.PNGb3.PNG

c1.PNGc2.PNGc3.PNGvenuswillendorf.png

Edited by CDNComix

Climax Classics Comics

Published by: self published; Contributors: J. Ellison; Bob Grieve; David Ostrem; Wally Young; Kurt Reichel; Date: 1977; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 20 pages;

Size: small comic (6.0 x 9.25) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: only 20 copies are reported to have been produced

Climax was produced as a side project by some student's from the Kootenay School of the Arts in Nelson, British Columbia. It is definitely a true underground comix and reported to be one of the rarer known publications ever produced in Canada. A definite plus is that it is a really decent effort with some strong and compelling artwork.

a1.PNGa4.PNGa3.PNGa2.PNG.6bc056406849337a8e97192dada34683.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

2 hours ago, CDNComix said:

RE: Filipino Food

Reminder this is a thread for either: obscure, undocumented or rarely discussed UG or newaves from the 70s, early 80s.  I do not want to offend Guy (who started the "unofficial underground thread" nearly 20 years ago) by drawing in discussions that could belong in his thread.

OK, sorry doh!

Edited by ug18

This is Tattooed Paper Comix

Published by: Tom Brinkman; Contributors: Tom Brinkman; Michael Roden; Brad Foster; Jim Valentino; Bruce Duncan; Charles Schneider; Clark Dissmeyer; Raymond Pettibon; Ace Backwards (Labriola); Marc Meyers; Mike Hill; Ed Dorn; David Miller; Neil Gillintoli; Jim Ryan; Wayne Gibson; Grass Green; Karen Murtagh; Jim Siergey; Jamie Alder; Date: 1982; Price: $3.00; Page Count: 88 pages;

Size: magazine (8.75 x 11) Kennedy #: 1978; Print information: one printing; 500 copies

Tattooed Paper is one of my personal favourites. With an all-star team, a spot-it-at-50-feet high calibre colour cover, high quality production and oddles of interesting/occasionally raunchy content - it's hard to beat. The only minor detraction is that the book is too big, thick and heavy to be bound with saddle-stapling and not trimmed afterwards to remove the bindery skew.

I view TPC to be the newave's response to the comix generation's All-Stars 2 and the newavers did more than just hold their own.  Even though that 500 copies were reported to have been produced, not many copies ever come to the on-line market - find it, grab it.

Kozmik Star

Published by: Tom Brinkman; Contributors: Tom Brinkman; Mike Hill; Date: 1981; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 12 pages;

Size: digest (5.5 x 8.5) Kennedy #: 1127; Print information: one printing; about 200 copies

According the Dale Lee Coovert's "Michael Roden homage site", copies of Kozmik Star were given away with early purchases of Tattooed Paper. He cities Bruce Duncan from a Tele Toons article, as his source. Both Kennedy and Fogel do not mention this fact, but I would bet that this is accurate.

tp1.PNGtp4.PNGtp2.PNG

k1.PNGk3.PNGk4.PNGk2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

True Tales of Humboldt County

Published by: self published; Contributors: Jeff Jordan; Date: 1976; Price: no cover price; Page Count: 8 pages

Size: newspaper (11.5 x 15.25) Kennedy #: 2057; Print information: one printing; unknown copies

This is the first example in this thread of a Kennedy listed newspaper. I chose True Tales to be the first really because of its beautiful, surrealist influenced artwork. For those of you who do not know or have forgotten, Jeff Jordan is also responsible for the great SFCC, 7 cent, mini - Changes #1. I have only noticed only two copies being offered for sale in the past few years - it's a tough one.

h1.PNGh3.PNGh4.PNGh2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix

Das Bauhaus

Published by: Self-published; Contributors: Tuck Petertil; Date: mid to late 70s; Price: giveaway; Page Count: 8 pages

Size: mini (4.25 x 5.5) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: one printing, 25 or fewer copies

Jumbo Zen Mumbo Jumbo

Published by: Self-published; Contributors: Tuck Petertil; Date: 1982; Price: giveaway; Page Count: 8 pages with postcard

Size: mini (4.0 x 2.5) Kennedy #: not listed; Print information: at least 2 colour variants were produced, unknown number copies

Tuck Petertil produced two lessor known dada-zines that until very recently I was unaware of their existence. Das Bauhaus was made while he was a college student and was given away to a few collectors. Jumbo Zen and its postcard were given away with cassette recordings of one of his musical/band projects.

d1.PNGs2.PNGs3.PNG

j1.PNGj2.PNG

Edited by CDNComix