Why is the personal announcement section now in the water cooler?
2 2

14 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, comicdonna said:

It used to be a sub forum in comics general.  Hardly anyone goes to the water cooler sub forum.  

Is it Annoying? 

What qualifies as a personal announcement, anyway?  If it is sort of a discussion thing, it seems OK that it be in the WC anyway.

Is it supposed to be used as an attention getter? I don't understand exactly what it is used for and why it exists.(shrug)

The person announcement sub forum was created to keep the Birthday threads for comic collectors out of comics general.  The So, what do you look like thread is there, too.   It was as shame, since much fewer people saw the threads.  It's much worse now, since it's been moved to a water cooler sub forum.  

I guess it is perspective of the viewer. I see it all the time. Seems mostly BDay stuff. A couple of the posts there recently certainly could have been WC threads or part of existing threads, so who knows. I guess it is up to the member to put it where they want. 

BTW, I thought I was annoying and you had me on Ignore? Me being an infection and all(........:jokealert: because you never know around here anymore). I am actually very lovable.

So, there's this forum under comics general that has a whole year of threads on the first page.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/30-permanent-comic-collecting-polls-faqs/

If there's not enough room for the personal forum, maybe you could do away with this forum, and put it there.  

I looked in the forum list for the personal forum 3 times then, I finally spotted it.  I'm pretty sure the water cooler doesn't need a sub forum, and we do need a personal forum.  Or, allow Birthday threads in comics general.  

It never should have been attached to comics general in the first place. The entire announcements sub forum is by definition, off topic.

I realize that's an unpopular opinion 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, comicdonna said:

The person announcement sub forum was created to keep the Birthday threads for comic collectors out of comics general.  The So, what do you look like thread is there, too.   It was as shame, since much fewer people saw the threads.  It's much worse now, since it's been moved to a water cooler sub forum.  

had a little heath scare about three weeks ago so haven't been on the boards for awhile but all is good. Thanks to @Pitboss for taking care of the Birthdays (worship). As you said since they moved them the first time hardly anyone sees them anymore. Might just start sending PM's and just wishing the person a Happy Birthday that way since it's such a bother to some.

• Administrator
Here's our thinking in moving the personal announcements sub forum:
  1. The vast majority of threads in that section have nothing to do with comics
  2. Comics General is the 3rd most frequently visited URL on the boards, and more subforums and stickies mean more scrolling to see the actual new content. 

I'm not sure why the water cooler needs a sub forum.  It appears that Dwayne was right.  The Birthday threads are a thing of the past, and a PM to the person on his/her Birthday is the way to go.  It's kinda sad because they made this place special.  

3 hours ago, comicdonna said:

I'm not sure why the water cooler needs a sub forum.  It appears that Dwayne was right.  The Birthday threads are a thing of the past, and a PM to the person on his/her Birthday is the way to go.  It's kinda sad because they made this place special.  

It should go back to the way it was from the beginning, but why would we want to promote community (sarcasm) :facepalm:

On 5/21/2018 at 4:10 PM, dena said:
Here's our thinking in moving the personal announcements sub forum:
  1. The vast majority of threads in that section have nothing to do with comics
  2. Comics General is the 3rd most frequently visited URL on the boards, and more subforums and stickies mean more scrolling to see the actual new content. 

Could we at least get a Birthday cake/candle near our avatar, like it used to be?