• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Giant Size Appreciation Thread
7 7

275 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2021 at 5:30 AM, batmiesta said:

Yeah!  What is it? O.o

1978 Drakes Hulk #21 Trading Card produced by Topps. Set is truly rare and cards near impossible to find in high grade (Near Mint or above) as they were inserted (usually crammed) unprotected into boxes of Ring Dings, Yodels, and Devil Dogs. Back then the former 2 snacks were individually wrapped in foil not in plastic and many times the foil would scratch the cards or allow a bit of chocolate to stain them.  

It's 44 years since Drakes Cakes Hulk cards were issued and no "warehouse" finds have ever come to light.  The opinion of many non-sports card collectors is they are the rarest USA Marvel Cards ever distributed. Still they are in low to no demand but yet 1990/1991 Impel Marvel Cards which were produced in the tens of millions now go for big money - go figure.

Sample card back

sample-back.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

Board Folks,

I'm thinking about trying to put together a short set of Giant-Size Conan.  I remember reading GS Conan #2 in Turkey (clearly a formative year for me for those of you who  have read my previous postings :bigsmile:).  As I'm a completest, I didn't want to just buy the one book.  I'm OK with 9.6s and OW/W (although like everyone else, I'd prefer White if I can get it and if a 9.8 rears its' head I'm OK with that too).  It seems like #1 is the key to the short run, but are there any mine fields that I need to watch out for?  I don't want to start on this project and then be short a book.  Would you buy the #1 first and then work from there?  Opinions appreciated.  Thanks, Paul~

On 2/6/2022 at 11:50 AM, picon3 said:

Board Folks,

I'm thinking about trying to put together a short set of Giant-Size Conan.  I remember reading GS Conan #2 in Turkey (clearly a formative year for me for those of you who  have read my previous postings :bigsmile:).  As I'm a completest, I didn't want to just buy the one book.  I'm OK with 9.6s and OW/W (although like everyone else, I'd prefer White if I can get it and if a 9.8 rears its' head I'm OK with that too).  It seems like #1 is the key to the short run, but are there any mine fields that I need to watch out for?  I don't want to start on this project and then be short a book.  Would you buy the #1 first and then work from there?  Opinions appreciated.  Thanks, Paul~

There are only five of them, and for some reason #4 is very common, super easy to find.  I am currently upgrading all my Giant-Size books to 9.6 WP and found it pretty easy to find #1, #4, and #5 but I'm still working on #2 and #3.  They're not very expensive, so it shouldn't be too hard to complete the set especially if you're OK with OW/W pages.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:35 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

There are only five of them, and for some reason #4 is very common, super easy to find.  I am currently upgrading all my Giant-Size books to 9.6 WP and found it pretty easy to find #1, #4, and #5 but I'm still working on #2 and #3.  They're not very expensive, so it shouldn't be too hard to complete the set especially if you're OK with OW/W pages.

#3 is the hardest one to get 9.6 WP.   My 9.6 is just OW/W but I also have a 9.4 with WP.   I would love to get all these in 9.8 White but just too pricey now and hard to find.  Good luck with the upgrades.

On 2/12/2022 at 10:32 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Just two days after you posted this, a 9.6 WP of G-S Conan #3 closed on Heritage for a whopping (and completely insane) $780.  Watching that auction I found myself wondering if the high bidder(s) had been influenced by this post.

Then about 10 minutes ago, I just grabbed one on eBay for $175.  :yeehaw:

:golfclap:(thumbsu:applause: Fantastic!  You lucky dog!...   On the other hand for me it's ...  :cry: ...  I wasn't paying attention!  Congratulations and maybe another one will turn up soon.. Enjoy it!

On 2/12/2022 at 4:32 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Just two days after you posted this, a 9.6 WP of G-S Conan #3 closed on Heritage for a whopping (and completely insane) $780.  Watching that auction I found myself wondering if the high bidder(s) had been influenced by this post DRUGS.

Fixed that for you Lou, great grab and it pays to be patient. 

On 2/12/2022 at 11:32 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Just two days after you posted this, a 9.6 WP of G-S Conan #3 closed on Heritage for a whopping (and completely insane) $780.  Watching that auction I found myself wondering if the high bidder(s) had been influenced by this post.

Outstanding sir! (thumbsu Did not see the #3 on Heritage or eBay for that matter, but as others have counseled me before, it does pay off to be patient.

I decided to dip my toe in the Giant-Size Conan waters and picked this copy up from Dale Roberts.  There are a lot of these floating around on the 'net (as Musicmeta says), but I liked the cut of this one's jib more than the others.  Fairly well-centered, White pages, 9.8.   

Paul~

GS Conan #4 White Pages 9.8 Dale Roberts $269.jpg