• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Giant Size Appreciation Thread
7 7

275 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

I did say it was my first comic ever, how much more important could it be.....:roflmao:

Any book can hold sentimental value. I was speaking of its importance to comics history. Having what is quite possibly the most unfortunate name for a series ever does not help matters.

36 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

I have Ali vs Superman

Did you get it before or after his death? Also, was it not because of DC that Marvel started doing Giant-Sized issues in the first place?

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

3 hours ago, creaturefan95 said:

Any book can hold sentimental value. I was speaking of its importance to comics history. Having what is quite possibly the most unfortunate name for a series ever does not help matters.

Yes, definitely the worst name ever.   And definitely no importance.   But that is one kick butt Ploog cover.   Probably why I bought it. 

Edited by Spider-Variant

3 hours ago, creaturefan95 said:

Did you get it before or after his death? Also, was it not because of DC that Marvel started doing Giant-Sized issues in the first place?

From what I’ve read, yes Marvel was inspired by the longer DC editions. 

1 minute ago, FineCollector said:

What's the link between treasuries and Giant-Size issues?

Good question, I’m not sure. hm

To creaturefans point, I think the name and format was inspired by DCs “80 Page Giants”. I’m unsure of the history of the Treasury editions though. 

Congrats on a tough set. 

To answer a few questions-Comics were getting edged off the newsstands by magazines costing twice as much. Why sell a twenty cent comic when you can sell a dollar magazine or paperback.

Marvel came out with these as an alternative to DCs 100 page books. There were supposed to be two lines, a 52 page line for .35 cents and a 68 page line for .50 cents. The plan changed after a couple of .35 cent books were published. DC raised their prices to .60 cents and they contained mostly reprints, where Marvel went .50 cents with more original stories. Then they published some all reprint books after promising new material in the Giant Size line.  Between paper shortages, WIN, rotating editors and the copious amounts of drugs being consumed, we were lucky to get what we did. I bought most of the books that featured heroes I liked, but skipped the Daredevil and Power Man ones- all reprints.

I got real excited when I saw GS Super Stars #1, with a new Hulk-Thing fight, and even more excited whn I read the plans they revealed inside. Sadly, they changed and not for the better.

Edited by shadroch

I don’t have many of my Giant-Size books scanned, but here’s one of them:

GSMTA2.jpg

Giant-Size Man-Thing #1 is a great book. Extra length story with typical weird Gerber mysticism, Man-Thing vs. Glob battle and art by Mike Ploog plus a handful of first-rate pre-hero reprints as backup.

Those fit in with the time frame, but I believe technically they are considered Millie the Model Annual (or Special), the final two issues numbered consecutively after starting at #1 in 1962.

20 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Those fit in with the time frame, but I believe technically they are considered Millie the Model Annual (or Special), the final two issues numbered consecutively after starting at #1 in 1962.

That's why I called them honorary.  It's the layout and trade dress matching the giant size issues that makes some people include them.

1 minute ago, OtherEric said:

That's why I called them honorary.  It's the layout and trade dress matching the giant size issues that makes some people include them.

Eric I love the idea!  Definitely the same block lettering in the title so that justifies me seeking them out :grin:

16 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Okay, I'll buy that.

6 hours ago, jaybes said:

Eric I love the idea!  Definitely the same block lettering in the title so that justifies me seeking them out :grin:

To be honest, I don’t recall any Giant-Size collector I’ve pointed them out to NOT wanting them for the set once they’ve seen them.(:

Does anyone have a pic of the color art for Super-Giant Spider-Man #1?  I used to have it but lost it when my computer crashed.  Same cover as Giant-Size Spider-Man #1, but said it would have 100 pages.  I love that sort of thing.   I think someone sold it on eBay a few years back. 

Edited by Spider-Variant