• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SS Stan Lee CGC's are you holding on to them or selling them?
2 2

72 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, williamblood said:

stan lee died 4 days after the book was signed. thats what he meant by one of his last

I am sure there is a definitive cutoff date as far as CGC Sig Series is concerned.  But we could never actually verify which book was the last he ever signed.  

21 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I am sure there is a definitive cutoff date as far as CGC Sig Series is concerned.  But we could never actually verify which book was the last he ever signed.  

agreed it would be impossible to know the very last book but cgc could confirm the last signing date, which would narrow it down to just a handful of books

Weird question but does anyone think in the last year Stan signed items those would fetch a greater premium because of the drama that followed him . I know in 2018 he did two shows in January then what followed was a mass cancellation of venues until he finally did one in April. His reps were horrible from what I’ve read and he didn’t do any cons after that except an in home Uber limited signing in October . He passed shorty after that . Most sigs from this year were not as clear as in earlier years but the fact it was his last year would this add to the already collectable sig market ? It’s a bit of a dark twist on things but I am curious as there can’t much material from that last year he was alive . 

Edited by Subby1938

I don't believe anyone is paying more for 2018 signed books than say 2014. Placement and signature are important and feel those later, clunky signatures would deter the buyer instead. Nobody looks at the label and goes "Ooooo, he died four months later" and decides to pay or bid with more gusto.

There are instances in the baseball realm where professional baseball players were signing at the end of their life called "death bed signatures" (DiMaggio and Musial come to mind who also had vultures around them) and there is no premium placed there and hobbyists would prefer a clear, clean signature. 

On 7/19/2018 at 11:00 PM, Mercury Man said:

Hell, he signed my nephews frickin arm (who immediately got it tattooed) a few years back.  He's holding onto his arm. 

Does your nephew know that if CGC didn't witness Stan Lee signing your nephews arm he won't get a yellow label? Just a green Qualified label.

1 hour ago, Subby1938 said:

Well I guess I have one of those clunky sigs but it’s on a monster book these days I’ll hope it appreciates in a healthy way. I bought this last year for less than a blue label price on a character from my childhood I loved . I think the book is great 

D65E4AFD-610A-4B1D-8CC2-2CEEF6D667FD.png

I have a few clunky signatures and yours isn't that bad. If you paid for a blue, you did well and the prices on his signed books seem to just climb. I haven't purchased a signed book since his passing because of the prices. You have a really nice book there. 

On 2/22/2021 at 12:13 AM, Subby1938 said:

Weird question but does anyone think in the last year Stan signed items those would fetch a greater premium because of the drama that followed him . I know in 2018 he did two shows in January then what followed was a mass cancellation of venues until he finally did one in April. His reps were horrible from what I’ve read and he didn’t do any cons after that except an in home Uber limited signing in October . He passed shorty after that . Most sigs from this year were not as clear as in earlier years but the fact it was his last year would this add to the already collectable sig market ? It’s a bit of a dark twist on things but I am curious as there can’t much material from that last year he was alive . 

No I don't believe there's been any value placed on late dated signatures. I think anecdotally there's been added value on earlier Stan signatures rather than anything from 2018. Maybe if somehow there was verifiable evidence a specific book was his very last then I suppose there could be some interest I don't know? That would likely be a bit tough to verify though. 

Stan's signatures have always tended to be a little clumpy. The ones where the letters distinguish themselves a bit are what people look for I think. 

As for the thread title, I did sell one Stan yellow label but I had it listed for a looong time before someone snatched it for the asking price the day he passed away. I don't think I would have increased the price as it wasn't a key book or anything close. I didn't even have time to! I wouldn't think of selling any others.