• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Silver Surfer Collecting Thread
11 11

326 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2021 at 1:58 AM, Pantodude said:

Agreed -- Your FF #49 and FF #50 might be among the nicest ones I've seen of the pence issues!   I know Tghutcn here has a very nice FF #49 UKPV, too, as well as SS #15 UKPV.  Haven't seen copies of these this nice before.  

I think the are realistically very few 49 pence copies what are in very nice grade the only two I’ve ever seen are mine Kevin’s 

1DD4378D-ADAE-4152-85A1-8FA209BEB703.jpeg

D1B82913-161D-4AB9-986A-DF2D02D83602.jpeg

Edited by Tghutcn

On 8/20/2021 at 4:14 AM, Kevin.J said:
On 8/19/2021 at 8:51 PM, batmiesta said:

Off topic slightly, but does anyone else find this criminal? Horrible sig on a NM/M copy. :cry:

Silver Surfer 1 9.8

Yeah, I am a massive sig series fan and have 1000+ books but I wouldnt dream of a sig of a HG book other than modern.

But I guess if its your book, you can do with it as you wish

Personally, not being a fan of egregious oversized writing on comic book covers, I have always held the opinion that CGC should treat these signatures as a writing defect and downgrade them accordingly.  (thumbsu

Of course, since it's all about the money for them, they would never ever consider doing this since it would literally kill their Signature Series program.  :devil:

On 8/15/2021 at 3:50 AM, lou_fine said:

Then again, I guess it's really a case of to each their own...........especially when you see a CGC 9.2 graded copy of Silver Surfer 9 sell for only a piddly $384 (well maybe not so piddly since one sold for only $264 back in February) this past Monday on Heritage:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-silver-surfer-9-marvel-1969-cgc-nm-92-white-pages/a/122132-13712.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|7#

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, The Silver Surfer #9 (Marvel, 1969) CGC NM- 9.2 White pages....

Especially when you compared it to a CGC 9.8 graded copy that sold for a rather stratosperic $42K earlier this year.  All I can say is that there's definitely a big huge mathematical difference between $384 and $42K, while there's clearly not the same relative difference between a CGC 9.2 and a CGC 9.8 graded book that's been determined based solely upon a subjective opinion, albeit a so-called professional one at that.  (shrug)

Either way, more power to the bidders if they are willing to bid that much higher for a CGC label.  :golfclap:

Once collectors get their FF #48, 49, & 50, what's next on the hit list?   The SS series is very obtainable with only 18 books in it, and prices have been steadily climbing across the run.    As for the 9.2's, 9.0's, and 8.5's gaining value it'll be interesting to see.   We're already seeing this in comparable runs, Doctor Strange, and Nick fury 1st series.   All three series are attractive on a number of levels.

On 11/8/2021 at 1:00 AM, Microchip said:

Once collectors get their FF #48, 49, & 50, what's next on the hit list?   The SS series is very obtainable with only 18 books in it

Personally I go for his appearances in fantastic four after the trilogy and also the one shot with Byrne the two parter and the graphic novel and also his defenders appearances and of course the classic TTA cover plus whatever books he tends to appears in general up till the 90s volume 

On 11/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, Tghutcn said:

Personally I go for his appearances in fantastic four after the trilogy and also the one shot with Byrne the two parter and the graphic novel and also his defenders appearances and of course the classic TTA cover plus whatever books he tends to appears in general up till the 90s volume 

I personally agree with you, re the other FF appearances.  They are great books and are 'relatively' cheap once you step off the nose bleed prices for the trilogy.   TTA 93 seems to be going through big swings on prices, but the cover keeps it resurfacing on everyone's want lists.

image.thumb.png.df6601fbb1d565be69beb7a31cad374d.png

On 11/7/2021 at 8:00 PM, Microchip said:

Once collectors get their FF #48, 49, & 50, what's next on the hit list?   The SS series is very obtainable with only 18 books in it, and prices have been steadily climbing across the run.    As for the 9.2's, 9.0's, and 8.5's gaining value it'll be interesting to see.   We're already seeing this in comparable runs, Doctor Strange, and Nick fury 1st series.   All three series are attractive on a number of levels.

I agree with you but maybe not so much on Nick Fury which remains the cheapest of those 1968 reboot titles except for Captain Marvel.  Nick Fury in general doesn't seem to get a lot of love ... Strange Tales #135 is also cheap.

On 11/7/2021 at 5:42 PM, Microchip said:

I personally agree with you, re the other FF appearances.  They are great books and are 'relatively' cheap once you step off the nose bleed prices for the trilogy.   TTA 93 seems to be going through big swings on prices, but the cover keeps it resurfacing on everyone's want lists.

were these your books? i just bought this ff72 winnipeg on the CL exchange-

On 11/7/2021 at 5:15 PM, Tghutcn said:

On 11/7/2021 at 5:42 PM, Microchip said:

To each their own, I would have to say, as I absolutely love those early 25 cents squarebound SS issues, especially the SS 1 with his detailed origin and the touchingly beautiful Shalla-Bal storyline and then the classic SS 4 Thor cover which goes without saying.  :luhv:

Although I will admit you are also bang on when it comes to the FF 72 up above with that out of this world blazing red SS cover.  As for the TTA 93 book, not sure why, but I guess my memory must be failing me as I always thought this was one of those 25 cent squarebound issues.  Should look for my copy, but I guess I must be confusing it with the Avengers 93 which also had the same brown cover which was the top #1 go to BA book to get back in the day as it had the classic Neal Adams artwork throughout the entire squarebound issue.  You definitely can't go wrong with any one of these 3 books though, as they were all definite keepers in any collector's personal collection.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/8/2021 at 3:53 PM, lou_fine said:

To each their own, I would have to say, as I absolutely love those early 25 cents squarebound SS issues, especially the SS 1 with his detailed origin and the touchingly beautiful Shalla-Bal storyline and then the classic SS 4 Thor cover which goes without saying.  :luhv:

Although I will admit you are also bang on when it comes to the FF 72 up above with that out of this world blazing red SS cover.  As for the TTA 93 book, not sure why, but I guess my memory must be failing me as I always thought this was one of those 25 cent squarebound issues.  Should look for my copy, but I guess I must be confusing it with the Avengers 93 which also had the same brown cover which was the top #1 go to BA book to get back in the day as it had the classic Neal Adams artwork throughout the entire squarebound issue.  You definitely can't go wrong with any one of these 3 books though, as they were all definite keepers in any collector's personal collection.  :luhv:  :takeit:

The FF #72 is hot property in lower grades, as is the TTA #93.  The other SS FF's (after 50) soften pretty quickly outside of the top grades.   Square bound surfers are fantastic in top grade, but we have seen them pop out from the rest of the run outside of the obvious keys.  The census numbers all look fairly even all the way through the run.   As for the which ones will start to climb next... the FF SS's, or the first series in those under 9.0/9.2 grades.   It such a disparity to monstrous 9.8, even 9.6 prices we see on the run.  It'll be interesting to watch the prices in the continued lead up to SS appearing in the MCU.

You're not thinking Thor #193.   Another classic square bound Surfer well worth collecting.

I like metallic silver ink, and I like Stan Lee even more.  So I've always thought a SS#1 with a well-placed signature is super cool.  

On 11/7/2021 at 4:09 PM, lou_fine said:
On 8/20/2021 at 7:14 AM, Kevin.J said:
On 8/19/2021 at 11:51 PM, batmiesta said:

Off topic slightly, but does anyone else find this criminal? Horrible sig on a NM/M copy. :cry:

Silver Surfer 1 9.8

Yeah, I am a massive sig series fan and have 1000+ books but I wouldnt dream of a sig of a HG book other than modern.

But I guess if its your book, you can do with it as you wish

Personally, not being a fan of egregious oversized writing on comic book covers,

I'm not surprised CGC and CBCS took the path they did.  All my life, autographed collectibles were prized things that fetched a premium (cards, jerseys, sneakers, album covers, books, and ....paintings?).  So I didn't expect any different in this hobby.     

Here's one with sig off to the side under SS's left hand.  Looks like SS is taking Stan along for the ride, either by the hand or alongside him on the board!   Since Stan's passing, the effect is pretty cool, especially in silver metallic ink.  High grade, too.

501654067_SilverSurfer1(CGCSS)-cropped2.thumb.jpg.6007a61d3fea35a29df3e5bc8e32c469.jpg

Edited by Pantodude

On 11/7/2021 at 8:53 PM, lou_fine said:

As for the TTA 93 book, not sure why, but I guess my memory must be failing me as I always thought this was one of those 25 cent squarebound issues.  Should look for my copy, but I guess I must be confusing it with the Avengers 93 which also had the same brown cover which was the top #1 go to BA book to get back in the day as it had the classic Neal Adams artwork throughout the entire squarebound issue.

On 11/8/2021 at 1:03 AM, Microchip said:

You're not thinking Thor #193.   Another classic square bound Surfer well worth collecting.

Didn't your mother ever tell you the story about what happens to the messenger who's the bearer of bad news.  :slapfight:  lol

Seriously though, unfortunately you are bang on here as it must have been Thor 193 which is clearly a much easier to find book and definitely worth a whole lot less than TTA 93.  Doubt I would have a copy of TTA 93 since that was well before I started collecting and if I do, and yet well after I was picking up those old used books from the second hand store for 5 cents a pop.  :frustrated:

Since I was alluding to Avengers 93 in my original post up above, it's really kind of sad how this classic Neal Adams book lost its place on the throne as pretty much the de factor book from the BA to acquire back in the day.  Seems to be pretty much a forgotten former BA key in today's much more robust marketplace, where it's so much more about first appearances as opposed to artist driven books.  :(

On 11/10/2021 at 2:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Didn't your mother ever tell you the story about what happens to the messenger who's the bearer of bad news.  :slapfight:  lol

Seriously though, unfortunately you are bang on here as it must have been Thor 193 which is clearly a much easier to find book and definitely worth a whole lot less than TTA 93.  Doubt I would have a copy of TTA 93 since that was well before I started collecting and if I do, and yet well after I was picking up those old used books from the second hand store for 5 cents a pop.  :frustrated:

Since I was alluding to Avengers 93 in my original post up above, it's really kind of sad how this classic Neal Adams book lost its place on the throne as pretty much the de factor book from the BA to acquire back in the day.  Seems to be pretty much a forgotten former BA key in today's much more robust marketplace, where it's so much more about first appearances as opposed to artist driven books.  :(

Thinking about it, the Thor, Avengers, and TTA all had #93 in them, so your brain was in the right ball park.   The messenger was knocking on the wrong door, in the right hallway ;)

Though Thor 193 isn't a casual book, it gets a lot respect.   Price wise, it hasn't seen much of bump lately, that's true, but I'm sure it's not far away from happening.   FF Annual #5 has slowly appreciated too.

I whole heartedly expect Neal Adams books to pop out at some point.  In the slabbish age, his covers stand out even more, and are well worthy or their own collectors focus.    He has so many great books, Dc, and Marvel, and a good few are ridiculously priced already, ce la vie.   

On 11/9/2021 at 10:42 PM, lou_fine said:

A 9.6 of Avengers #93 just sold for over $5,000 in the last Heritage auction, so I don't think it's that forgotten.

On 11/10/2021 at 4:52 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

A 9.6 of Avengers #93 just sold for over $5,000 in the last Heritage auction, so I don't think it's that forgotten.

I guess it's really more of a relative comparison because I still remember having to pay pretty much the same amount of money for a HG copy of Avengers 93 as I did some 10 years later for my HG copies of both Hulk 181 and Spidey 129.  :takeit:

Needless to say, the Avengers 93 is not even in the universe as the Hulk 181 and Spidey 129, let along the same ballpark from a valuation point of view.  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

On 11/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 11/10/2021 at 7:10 AM, lou_fine said:

Needless to say, the Avengers 93 is not even in the universe as the Hulk 181 and Spidey 129, let along the same ballpark from a valuation point of view.  :frown:

Sure, but why would it be?

No reason at all, except it sadly goes to show my rapidly advancing age :preach: as I still clearly remember approaching the end of the 70's when Avengers 93 was the top BA book in terms of valuation by a long shot and that entire Adams/Smith run from #93 through #100 (excluding #97) was right there at the top of ever true collector's want list.  Definitely not so much the case in today's marketplace where it's so much more about first appearances and movie/TV related hype.  :frown:

Especially since nowadays the top dollar BA books like Hulk 181, Spidey 129, and X-Men 94 were still not yet broken out in the Overstreet guide at the time and had a top of guide valuation of sub $1.  :takeit:

In fact, if I remember correctly, the only BA books that were even within earshot range of Avengers 93 were the matching bookend set of Spidey 121 and 122.  :luhv: