• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

worth encapsulating?

15 posts in this topic

based on previous raw sales, perhaps not... anyway, as i was fishing through my boxes i came across a perfect copy of captain america 287. totally flawless. can't believe i managed to preserve something that well. one of the best covers of the 80s. in the back of my head i remembered this being worth something, but alas, i think that was back in 1993 or so when deathlok was hot.

i can't presume a 9.8, but if a 9.6, would i be throwing money away slabbing it or is this particular issue, due to the great cover, something people go for when slabbed?

personally, i wouldn't. it'll present just as well in mylar, and be about fifteen bux cheaper on your end.

right now, AFAIK, Cap books are doing well in SA/early BA, but not so much in late BA and copper

figured as much. great cover though and one i never see in the bargain bins.

i've been pondering doing a post-76 9.4 pre-screen on 50 books, but I just don't know if what I'd submit would be worthwhile. The more I look at my X-men 117 (a book that would be worth something in 9.6 or 9.8) the more i figure a grader might be in a really bad mood and give it a 9.2 and then I have a bunch of stuff circa '77 - '79 that could be 9.6 - 9.8 candidates, but none of them are keys or even expensive (captain americas, marvel team-ups, etc.) and getting back a 9.4 may be burning money. and then there are the $10-$15 books that will probably come back 9.4s and will continue to be $10-$15 books, after I've spent 15 bucks on plastic!

pardon me. just ranting.

a pre-screen is definitely the way to go, but i would think only if you really wanted to slab any of the books in the screen.

the benefit to getting books slabbed is you never know what may happen down the road...God Forbid you have a fire or a theft; i would think you'd be able to get more $$$ in those instances if they were slabbed than trying to convince your insurance company that the books were really Minty using your own grading.

and if you've really got that many 9.4+ candidates, don't forget the 20% off you get through Heritage, that's $150 on fifty books @ $15 per...

that being said, it would be a lot of scratch to put down preemptively for books that may never get any more valuable than the $$$ of the slabs

"that being said, it would be a lot of scratch to put down preemptively for books that may never get any more valuable than the $$$ of the slabs"

yup, that's my dilemna. $15 (even -20%) is still a lot of loot to spend slabbing comics that even if people had 100% faith in my grading are likely to not go much beyond $5-$10 raw.

were i slabbing, it would be to sell. but by selling, that may mean putting into store inventory at a price i'm comfortable and being willing to wait a long time for the buyer to come along, not doing a bunch of 99 cent starting bid auctions. so really, to a certain extent they'd be going into my collection.

but wouldn't i need to spend $100 to get the heritage discount in the first place?

"that being said, it would be a lot of scratch to put down preemptively for books that may never get any more valuable than the $$$ of the slabs"

yup, that's my dilemna. $15 (even -20%) is still a lot of loot to spend slabbing comics that even if people had 100% faith in my grading are likely to not go much beyond $5-$10 raw.

i hear ya. you rolls the dice, you takes your chances. if it was only $5, then a lot of us would have a lot less decision making to do, i think...

were i slabbing, it would be to sell. but by selling, that may mean putting into store inventory at a price i'm comfortable and being willing to wait a long time for the buyer to come along, not doing a bunch of 99 cent starting bid auctions. so really, to a certain extent they'd be going into my collection.

at that point, it becomes a judgement call; do you like have slabs, or do you like having them i mylars? or bags & boards? it's a struggle.

but wouldn't i need to spend $100 to get the heritage discount in the first place?

nnnooooooo...at least, i don't think so. this is one of the more confusing aspects of CGC for the newbie: do you have to join the CS to submit? my impression is no, you don't. you get perks for joining, but it's not a requirement

putting aside wedgies, i've decided to list most of my 9.4 - 9.8 pre-screen candidates as auctions (raw) when i get my act together and can list more stuff. maybe stuff from the 70s is not really "rare" in 9.4+, but i have to say, only a few of my comics made the cut in terms of being stuff i'd be willing to risk $3 on via pre-screen. i hesitate to call anything a 9.4, much less 9.6 or higher. alas, right now i don't have $750-$800 to spend on slabs if i picked right and all 50 did get 9.4 or higher. that's a high end stroller and tons of baby stuff. my wife would kill me!

yeah, my wife is sort of a freak when it comes to used baby stuff. the only thing she's willing to go used on is the car seat, which, by law we need to own, but won't use much (we don't drive much). something about "i don't want my baby sitting where some other baby puked" or whatever.

Must be your first one huh,

she'll change her tune when you have a second when she sees how much $$ goes flying out for baby stuff.

well, the puke stains would be from OUR baby, not someone else's, so it would be ok for the next one.

of course, every day she tells me 15 times "I'm not doing this again!"

whatever. i need to double my salary to be able to afford another one.