• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC vs CBCS
1 1

111 posts in this topic

On 8/25/2018 at 5:12 PM, I like pie said:

I'll never understand why anyone would pay one penny for a signature series book that was not witnessed.

There are people who made their career in forgeries. 

It's like throwing money away.

Even though I collect very few sig books, that reason alone would keep me away from CBCS.

Totally. This is what makes the CGC Signature Series so valuable in the first place. Lose that one aspect of it, and it's worthless in my eyes.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:28 PM, Darkowl said:

Totally. This is what makes the CGC Signature Series so valuable in the first place. Lose that one aspect of it, and it's worthless in my eyes.

hm

Has anyone had experience with halo?   Being in Australia, I see their slabs from time to time in my LCS  but I have no idea on perception in market in regards to trust in the grading? .. Seems their grading prices are quite high per book but I don't know much else about them. 

In the past I had submitted books to both CGC and CBCS. Now, I am will only send to CGC. I finally got my 3 submissions from CBCS which took 6 months. The last batch, the labels were incorrect on 4 books. 

Yes, I can verify the claims are true about CBCS

- long turnaround time, 6 months

- no response to emails regarding my submission issues.

- I called and a Beckett customer service guy answered the phone. I send the scanned image of the books with label errors to a @beckett.com not @cbcscomics.com.

- CBCS made strict rules about the AW program. Can only witness your books for the not so popular artist. Basically, you still need a witness for artist like Campbell, Romita, etc

- The guys at the booth (East Coast) are the worst. Last time, I sat at their table for 30 minutes while the guy with long hair from Delaware was processing other customers coming up to their booth.

- Less resell value if you planning on selling on eBay

Update to CBCS label error issues. 

I got a response from CBCS/Beckett. So far, all Indians representatives. They requested that I send in another order of 5 -10 books with the error books to fix this issue. My thought is WTF. I will never submit another order to CBCS/Beckett.

Before the Beckett acquisition of CBCS, I never had an issue with their customer service. I posted this issue on the CBCS forum and members where chiming in and the post got locked. As advised, I will keep sending my email to CBCS customer service and hope they respond. Here is the letter for the Beckett guy. There is no way I will spend more money on them just to fix their mistake. 

Thank you for your email.

We agree it is an error from our part.

For an issue like this, we would ask that you send the book back to us with your next submission of 5-10 books along with a copy of the invoice you received with this book, along with a print out of this email, or a brief hand written description of the issue that has occurred. 

We'll fix this book up for you and move it out with the rest of the order at around fast pass speed. 

We apologize for the error with your book, but we will correct it.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Thanks,

Gomcy

https://beckett-www.s3.amazonaws.com/emails/signature/logosign.jpg

Gomcy Jack (Beckett Collectibles)

|Senior Business Development Executive |

|Toll Free: 855-777-2325 |

|Email: GomcyJ@Beckett.com|

|www.beckett.com|

What if there is no next submission? Probably because they screw up so much that they need to find ways to make up for the loss. Tell them to fix the errors you already paid for and add "or else" at the end of the statement. 

Here is what they screwed up. The labels are wrong. 

I can understand mistakes can happen but why not respond to my 5 previous emails.

This is the new CBCS/Beckett service. I see their loyal fans posting "Keep up the good work". You got to be kidding, WTF!

f88530c50fce54996572f2d3b954fdaa.jpg

fd52a3b5bb43d35d2bb906606ffd2176.jpg

7036839e9fa30fad2573d087cda03163.jpg

They have a cheering crew on those boards that don't care about all the BS or so they say. I used to complain about TATs being doubled and people just said "just send the books in and don't let the time frame bother you. You get them when you get them". It was because of many instances like such that brought me here. For good. Ain't lookin back. 

On 4/3/2019 at 3:19 PM, comicrage said:

Update to CBCS label error issues. 

I got a response from CBCS/Beckett. So far, all Indians representatives. They requested that I send in another order of 5 -10 books with the error books to fix this issue. My thought is WTF. I will never submit another order to CBCS/Beckett.

Why not use your ID from over there over here? (shrug)

My biggest concern about CBCS has been the value of graded books. A while back, I saw an X-men #1 in a CBCS 9.0 sit on C'Link for a time. I believe that it was listed for about $40k which would have been a pretty good price for a CGC 9.0 . Whatever it was, I gave serious consideration to buying it, cracking it and sending it to CGC. However, there was certainly no guarantee that it would get a 9.0 or higher from CGC. So, in my mind, I had to discount it half a grade plus the rather substantial cost of grading (including insurance, etc.). Looking at it that way, I discounted the book about $8 - $10k so that a $50k book became a $40k book. It really made me wonder why someone would send a book of that value to CBCS. How much did the person save on the cost of grading? Let's face it, for better or worse, most investors want their books graded by CGC ESPECIALLY for the books worth 5 and 6 figures.

CGC charges 3% to grade a high value book. CBCS charges 2.6%. Does the market value CBCS graded books within 0.4% of the value of CGC graded books? I'm thinking that the difference could be as much as 20 to 25% based on the risk that the book might lose a half point on the grade. 

For a minor book or a modern, I probably wouldn't mind buying a book in a CBCS slab, but when it gets into serious money, I don't think so. 

Edited by CycleGirl