• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

Ever since Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was announced, speculation has been that Nightmare would be the primary villain of the film. WandaVision, however, seemed to set up a different villain.

Chthon is the Elder God of Chaos in Marvel Comics and the author of the Darkhold. Before leaving for the Flickering Realm, he left the Darkhold as in the event he ever returned. Scarlet Witch drew her magic from Chthon in the comics, and it’s quite possible we find out that something similar is happening with Wanda in the MCU.

he presence of the Darkhold is one sign that Chthon is coming. Agatha Harkness also hinted when she described Wanda’s magic as chaos magic. Chthon may very well be what Agatha meant when she warned Wanda about what she unleashed.

The final post credits scene gives us another clue. Wanda appeared on what seemed to be a mountain. Wundagore Mountain is where Chthon wrote the Darkhold in the comics. This scene may be a clip from Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, showing Wanda on Wundagore Mountain.

The other interesting part of the scene is inside the little hut, Scarlet Witch is seen combing through pages of the Darkhold. My theory is this is Chthon possessing Wanda, trying to find a way back to conquer this world. It’s also where we discover Wanda’s kids are somewhere in the multiverse.

Chthon is certainly worthy of being a Thanos level threat. And while he’s difficult to personify on film because he’s rarely seen in person, he could make his presence felt through possessing Wanda’s body, thus making Wanda both a hero and villain of the film. In the comics, it was Pietro he possessed.

It is stunning that IF we get Clea, and we should definitely be getting Clea by end of Doc2!, the casting has remained secret. I am so hopeful that it is Emily Blunt, who I think is charming and could be very good in the role.

Or have I missed it?

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

It is stunning that IF we get Clea, and we should definitely be getting Clea by end of Doc2!, the casting has remained secret. I am so hopeful that it is Emily Blunt, who I think is charming and could be very good in the role.

Or have I missed it?

I been saying Emily Blunt ought to be Clea for a while now. She'd be a great match with Cumberbatch. Everybody's set on her being Mrs. Fantastic but she's a better fit as Clea, in my opinion. She even played a silver haired witch in one of those Snow White and Huntsman movies.

New rumor about the main villain, and it's who I assumed it would be all along.

https://movieweb.com/doctor-strange-2-villain/

Who else would you pick to be in "Multiverse of Madness" other than the villain whose entire goal is to rule all worlds within the multiverse?

Edited by fantastic_four

13 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

New rumor about the main villain, and it's who I assumed it would be all along.

https://movieweb.com/doctor-strange-2-villain/

Who else would you pick to be in "Multiverse of Madness" other than the villain whose entire goal is to rule all worlds within the multiverse?

It's okay. You can say the name. Forget Mephisto. I'm all in on Shuma-Gorath!

Did I miss any Derrickson dirt explaining why he left?  I would have thought something more substantial would be out by now about why he left the film, but I still haven't found anything.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Did I miss any Derrickson dirt explaining why he left?  I would have thought something more substantial would be out by now about why he left the film, but I still haven't found anything.

Disney has done a great job keeping that under control.

But it happened right after that SDCC appearance where he noted DS 2 would be more horror and Feige followed up with "It will be PG-13 and you'll like it!"

So some disconnect between them happened.

This is my personal speculation and nothing more and I am looking at things from a long term viewpoint.  The next round / phase of Marvel movies need to accomplish a few things.  Two of those things are major things

1. Figure out a way to bring in the Fantastic Four
  2. Figure out a way to bring in the X-Men

By establishing a multiverse as we already know will exist with Dr. Strange (and apparently Spider-man ) and establishing a quantum realm as we already know from Ant Man, Ant Man and the Wasp, and Avengers Endgame, we know that there are means to bring these characters in through the doors opened by these movies.   I think that the antagonist will pave the way by creeping in one of those backdoors with X-Men or Fantastic Four to follow as they give chase. 

What antagonists could make their way into the Marvel MCU side of things first?  This could be either an end credit scene or in the proper movie itself like when Thanos sent Loki to reign terror on Earth in the first Avengers.  Well I would not be surprised to see: 

• Kang - obvious reasons by using the quantum realm to time travel like the Avengers did in Endgame
  • Dr. Doom - Magic portal like Dr. Strange / Multiverse. 
  • Galactus - because Galactus.
  • The Silver Surfer.   I would not be shocked if there was an end credit scene where Dr. Strange confronts the Surfer like he sat down and spoke with Thor as an end credit scene. 
  • Insert any other shared Strange / X-Men or Strange / FF antagonist here. 

Either way... with the FF movie on it's way... there has to be something that leads us there.   I think that it's the Dr. Strange movie that opens the door. 

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Disney has done a great job keeping that under control.

But it happened right after that SDCC appearance where he noted DS 2 would be more horror and Feige followed up with "It will be PG-13 and you'll like it!"

So some disconnect between them happened.

An odd parallel here is that Sam Raimi left Spider-Man for pretty much the exact same stated reason.  Avi Arad had pushed him to have Venom, Harry Osborne, and Sandman as villains all in the same film for Spider-Man 3 when Raimi wanted to only have Sandman, and the film ended up a mess for reasons Raimi felt were forced upon him.  He demanded more control for a fourth film, Arad refused, so he and Maguire/Dunst walked.  Now he's re-entering the Marvel Universe on a film that Scott Derrickson just left for a similar reason that Raimi left Spider-Man.

The real question is just how much control Derrickson wanted, and how much Feige was forcing upon him.  We know that America Chavez and Wanda being involved in the story was Feige, and it sounds like Derrickson had no screenplay written so even the title was devised by Marvel, so much of the framework sounds to have been created for him.  Derrickson's comments since he left have only vaguely stated that the film would have been "someone else's," so whatever they were asking him to include he found unreasonable.  It'll be interesting to see what Raimi does with it and which elements he incorporates that conflicted with Derrickson's ideas.  You can certainly do a scary movie that's PG-13, so I'm not sure an R-rating was a sticking point.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Kang - obvious reasons by using the quantum realm to time travel like the Avengers did in Endgame

he has been cast for Ant Man 3 or whatever they are calling it.

Jonathan Majors, perfect face for Kang

jonathan_majors.0.jpeg