• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

MEN'S HEALTH: Kevin Feige Says He Regrets Whitewashing in Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange was generally well-received when it first premiered, but it was marred by one large controversy. Tilda Swinton was cast as the Ancient One, a character who is an Asian male in the comics. As it was only the latest instance in a series white-washing incidents within Hollywood at the time, it sparked intense public outcry. At the time, Derrickson and Feige defended the decision by explaining Swinton's casting was intended to avoid racist stereotypes that were often baked into older comics. This didn't do much to sway Doctor Strange's critics, but the movie continued as planned, and Swinton even reprised the role in Avengers: Endgame.

Now, Feige is looking back on the entire Doctor Strange incident and has some regrets. In a cover story with Men's Health about Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Marvel's first Asian-led film, Feige admits there could have been a far better way to avoid poor stereotypes than to cast a white woman in a role that could've gone to an Asian performer. "We thought we were being so smart, and so cutting-edge," Feige said. He continued:

“We’re not going to do the cliché of the wizened, old, wise Asian man. But it was a wake-up call to say, ‘Well, wait a minute, is there any other way to figure it out? Is there any other way to both not fall into the cliché and cast an Asian actor?’ And the answer to that, of course, is yes.”

Marvel has made more positive steps forward in terms of diversity since then, but Doctor Strange's case of white-washing remains a check against the studio.

Edited by Bosco685

40 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That quote is all over the place now.

Even with Fandom that has over 400K followers. Way to go!

They could have easily made the Ancient One a young wise Tibetan, but they were more concerned with China screenings than politics. It's interesting how they don't have issues pushing other political agendas though. He should also consider this comment for gender washing characters also. If Groot was a flower instead of a tree of Rocket was a chipmunk instead of a racoon, I'm sure that it would annoy people as well. The collective outcry would have made a smaller impact though.

17 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

They could have easily made the Ancient One a young wise Tibetan, but they were more concerned with China screenings than politics. It's interesting how they don't have issues pushing other political agendas though. He should also consider this comment for gender washing characters also. If Groot was a flower instead of a tree of Rocket was a chipmunk instead of a racoon, I'm sure that it would annoy people as well. The collective outcry would have made a smaller impact though.

I remember when the co-writer came out and shared he was told to make changes so as not to upset China.

Doctor Strange Writer Says Ancient One Was Changed To Avoid Upsetting China

He got clobbered over that as telling tales. How unfair!

Wow!

Doctor Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness Original Writer Explains Why Scott Derrickson Left the Movie

The original Doctor Strange successfully brought the Sorceror Surpeme into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and fans were eager to see what director Scott Derrickson and writer C. Robert Cargill could do with the sequel. Unfortunately, that did not end up coming to pass, as Derrickson announced he was leaving the project due to creative differences, though we've never received anything beyond that in regards to the reason he left the sequel. In a new interview with CinemaBlend, Cargill opened up a bit about why they both decided to leave the project, and it came down to choosing between a film they were enthusiastic about and one that was becoming something else.

That other project was an adaptation of The Black Phone by Joe Hill, and it was a project that Cargill was willing to wait on Derrickson's work on the Doctor Strange sequel to take on.

"It was creative differences. [Scott Derrickson] wanted to do one movie, and Marvel wanted to do another movie," Cargill said. "So he sat there and said, ‘Well s***, I’ve got this great -script that I wrote with Cargill, and I’m really proud of.’ We were actually going to go out to other directors for The Black Phone, and Scott was like, he called me up and said, ‘Dude, I have to make this movie. It’s gotta be my movie, I have to do this. Do you mind waiting until after I’m done with [Doctor Strange 2], and he really wanted to bring me onto Strange as well. But in the event that it didn’t happen, he was like, ‘Do you mind waiting?’ And I was like, ‘You know what, if you feel this passionately about it, no. I’ll wait a couple years to make this movie.’"

After it became clear that Derrickson and Marvel wanted to make two different films, Derrickson decided to depart and make the film he'd been itching to make with Cargill. He didn't love leaving Strange behind, but the differences made the decision easier.

"It came down to Scott, and Scott’s like, ‘Well, I can make this movie that I’m compromising what I wanted to do on, or I could make The Black Phone,’ and he goes, ‘You know, I want to make a movie with Cargill. I’m gonna go make The Black Phone.’ It was, as he said publically, it was a hard choice to leave Strange behind; but it made it easier that he had a movie that he was looking forward to," Cargill said. "And then the experience was just so great that we’re just are so proud and happy with what we made."

This is the movie I am most excited for in Phase IV right now. Though if Spider-Man 3 delivers on some of those multiverse rumors, it could end up being the biggest surprise.

Doctor Strange 2 Writer on a Post-Avengers Sorcerer Supreme

After the massive adrenaline shot from Marvel's WandaVision, there was a lot to look forward to. We were supposed to be getting the Doctor Strange sequel shortly after the mini-series wrapped (pre-pandemic life, right?), with the Scarlet Witch and Sorcerer Supreme getting to really interact about their connection to power. In a new interview at Syfy Wire, the head writer and executive producer of Loki, Michael Waldron (who is also on-hand for Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness), offered as much as he could about the sequel.

The Loki creative tells the publication to expect, "All the cool sci-fi and fantasy stuff you can do with Doctor Strange. 'How can you go deeper into the character of Stephen Strange?' This is a guy who's been through a lot in the last several years. What effect does that have on somebody so powerful? That's exciting. And beyond all that, he's just a great adventurer — a great adventure hero you just like to watch kick ."

There is a general hype behind a Scarlet Witch and Doctor Strange project as-is; however, the superhero title also happens to be directed by the incredible Sam Raimi. Raimi has earned a notable reputation for his work in films like Spider-Man, Evil Dead, and Drag Me to Hell, so this next film has the potential to add another epic title to his filmography.

Wow! After Feige came out earlier this year stating the Ancient One decision was made with not the best considerations, now the actress shares her concerns. To include Disney had her believing there was no fan concerns with the casting.

Now, in an interview with Variety, Swinton reacted to hearing Feige’s comments for the very first time. The Ancient One actress says she is “very, very grateful” Feige made those comments because it renewed the discourse on the subject. Swinton also reflected on learning about the whitewashing backlash for the first time:

"I remember at the time having a question mark in my own mind, and being attendant to the public response to the idea that a Scottish woman will be playing this character, and being aware that there was no resistance at all — there was widespread welcome — which shifted at a certain point, for very good reasons with which I had an enormous amount of sympathy."

In 2016, this controversy was compounded by Swinton reaching out to comedian Margaret Cho for her opinion on the whitewashing controversy. Cho, who had never spoken to Swinton before, was offended by the request as she felt like Swinton wanted her "take on why all the Asian people were so mad,” which made her feel like a "house Asian." Reflecting on this ordeal today, Swinton admits she may have “confused matters” but has “zero regrets” overall.

As mournful as her casting was, her acting was more so & more than that her climatic bit of -script to Strange, 'It's not about you', was nearly as poorly contrived as the movie itself.

Hot on the heels of the highly anticipated finale, THR reports that Loki will be appearing in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Hiddleston will be reprising his role as the God of Mischief. Marvel has yet to confirm whether or not this is true, nor have any announcements been made concerning other characters from Loki that could potentially appear in the sequel.

It's clear that Marvel has bigger plans for the God of Mischief - Loki season 2 was announced during the finale of the series, but there's even more in store when it comes to his future. In a surprising turn of events, Jonathan Majors made a cameo in Loki after all. The actor may have denied rumors that he was appearing as Kang the Conqueror, but there was some truth to his words after all. Majors' character in Loki is never referred to as Kang - rather, he is called He Who Remains, a version of the time-hopping villain. The events of the finale eventually lead to the breaking of the Sacred Timeline and this will likely be the entry point for Loki into Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. 

:banana:

Alleged big Dr. Strange movie news…

Take it however you will with these things.

I don’t know the track record of these guys.

On 8/26/2021 at 11:55 PM, HighVoltage said:

Alleged big Dr. Strange movie news…

Take it however you will with these things.

I don’t know the track record of these guys.

hm

Dumb.

But I'll watch it.

It'd be refreshing if a actual storyline I read makes it to the big screen, I know things have to be tweaked to translate from writing to the big screen, but it would be fantastic if, just once, something I read in a book was made unaltered onto the big screen.

Just fing once

On 8/30/2021 at 10:32 AM, Dr. Dank said:

Dumb.

But I'll watch it.

It'd be refreshing if a actual storyline I read makes it to the big screen, I know things have to be tweaked to translate from writing to the big screen, but it would be fantastic if, just once, something I read in a book was made unaltered onto the big screen.

Just fing once

300? It's not "unaltered", but Watchmen?

Film studios don't seem interested in faithfulness. I wouldn't mind a movie that adapts 100% of a comic run while adding scenes/dialogue that enhance the experience.

I've been wondering who the heck is going to play Clea in Dr. Strange 2. When I read that Rachel McAdams is returning as Dr Christine Palmer, I suddenly thought, "wait, in this Multiverse of Madness, could Christine Palmer be a multiverse variant version of a Sorcerer Supreme and be Clea?" I googled it and lo and behold there's breaking news today (from dubious sources agreed) that Rachel McAdams will indeed be Clea. Dr Strange's other half from the comics is definitely going to be in Dr Strange 2. I think we'd have heard who is playing her by now or at least a leak. It makes total sense that McAdams could be Clea.

583247622_cleanews.thumb.JPG.18231eb313bda37691ff4bf96af21eb5.JPG

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 5/20/2021 at 1:33 PM, Bosco685 said:

I remember when the co-writer came out and shared he was told to make changes so as not to upset China.

Doctor Strange Writer Says Ancient One Was Changed To Avoid Upsetting China

He got clobbered over that as telling tales. How unfair!

is mordo a black guy in the comics?   was there a "backlash" when ejiofor was cast for ds 1?