Doctor Strange 2 announced.
6 6

871 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 9:30 AM, HighVoltage said:

2 sources for Charlie now…

The MCU keeping James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as Charlie X and Magnus would be wise I think. Not only did those two actors nail the roles, it would just give more relevance to the Fox movies which now live on Disney+. Marvel Studios should even bring back Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggert IMO. Recast everyone else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 9:26 AM, Straw-Man said:

is mordo a black guy in the comics?   was there a "backlash" when ejiofor was cast for ds 1?

animal-house-bluto.gif.0831b74bbe25f38f2cd62bf55fd4ff82.gif

Meanwhile, Kevin Feige and Tilda Swinton came out recently noting how the character change was handled could have been better managed.

KEVIN FEIGE REGRETS WHITEWASHING THE ANCIENT ONE IN DOCTOR STRANGE

Quote

Derrickson echoed that statement in various interviews and added he didn’t want to cast an Asian woman and fall into the “Dragon Lady” stereotype. But of course, it would have been possible to cast an Asian actor in the role and avoid stereotypes. That’s what Feige admits in an interview with Men’s Health about Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

 

He said, “We thought we were being so smart, and so cutting-edge. We’re not going to do the cliché of the wizened, old, wise Asian man. But it was a wake-up call to say, ‘Well, wait a minute, is there any other way to figure it out? Is there any other way to both not fall into the cliché and cast an Asian actor?’ And the answer to that, of course, is yes.”

The Tibetan origin of the Ancient One was changed so as to appease Chinese box office negative reactions to a regional sensitive topic. So not the same as say Yellow Claw and Agent Woo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 9:48 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

The MCU keeping James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender as Charlie X and Magnus would be wise I think. Not only did those two actors nail the roles, it would just give more relevance to the Fox movies which now live on Disney+. Marvel Studios should even bring back Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggert IMO. Recast everyone else.

NAH! I get why you might want these actors in these roles, but let the new guys have a shot. They could be playing these roles for 20 years, start with some 20somethings and mix it up! Keeping a few Fox actors just makes it wonky, cut the cord and cast anew. 

As much as I loved Snipes as Blade, isn't is exciting to think of Ali in the role? Who could be better as Mystique than nearly naked Rebecca? and then JLaw killed it with same character, different take. Same thing with Prof X and Magneto I say. Give me a new take on those characters for the next movies (Fassbender is so superior to McAvoy IMO anyway, he is a harder replacement). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 10:12 AM, Bird said:

NAH! I get why you might want these actors in these roles, but let the new guys have a shot. They could be playing these roles for 20 years, start with some 20somethings and mix it up! Keeping a few Fox actors just makes it wonky, cut the cord and cast anew. 

As much as I loved Snipes as Blade, isn't is exciting to think of Ali in the role? Who could be better as Mystique than nearly naked Rebecca? and then JLaw killed it with same character, different take. Same thing with Prof X and Magneto I say. Give me a new take on those characters for the next movies (Fassbender is so superior to McAvoy IMO anyway, he is a harder replacement). 

Anything is possible.

But what Marvel Studios could be going for is Marvel movie nostalgia. Look at the initial reaction when X-Men Franchise Pietro showed up. And yet later on how disappointed fans were when he turned out to be 'Ralph Bohner'.

There is more than a few folks that probably want to see that solid Multiverse connection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 10:39 AM, Bosco685 said:

...what Marvel Studios could be going for is Marvel movie nostalgia.

Yup. They know that they can't top the Infinity Saga organically, so they're using dirty tricks.

It's working with Spider-Man, at least (for me).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, the Benedict Cumberbatch-starring sequel to Marvel Studios’ 2016 installment, has been prescribed a major new shoot.

 

In what sources describe as being “significant,” the new shoot, taking place in Los Angeles, is both “additional photography” and “reshoots.”

 

How significant? Insiders say that Cumberbatch and company are undertaking six weeks of shooting, if not more, working six days a week. Sam Raimi remains as helmer, and Loki head writer Michael Waldron is still on board writing the new material. It is unclear what actors on top of Cumberbatch are involved. The crew involved is familiar with the Marvel method and worked on recent picks up for the upcoming Spider-Man: No Way Home and additional shooting for next year’s Oscar Isaac series, Moon Knight.

Quote

However, other sources have their eyebrows raised at the length. “They’re here until the end of the year. That’s like a whole other movie,” said one.

 

Several factors appear to be driving the shoot. One insider said about two weeks are dedicated to principal photography that was held over from the initial shoot that took place in the U.K. due to what is described as actor availability issues. The insider played down concerns the reshoots were related to retooling the story.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As usual, another toy-based spoiler that isn't much of a spoiler if you already know the big bad from this movie:

Spoiler

The name on the box says it's the "Gargantos Showdown" set.  Nobody knows why it refers to the opponent as "Gargantos" who in the comics is an undersea villain of Namor, but it seems clear they're not underwater and that this is probably Shuma-Gorath.

My guess is some character in the film doesn't know what Shuma-Gorath's name is so they make up the name "Gargantos" on the fly.

LEGO-Doctor-Strange-and-the-multiverse-o

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
6 6