• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

Older reports of a test screening of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness bombing with a test audience and that being the reason for reshoots is complete and utter b****it. My proof? First, Marvel Studios doesn't do test screenings. Second, if that Grace Rudolph lady is pushing the story on her YouTube channel then you can bet it's dubious.

I don't know why exactly they're doing reshoots, but I do know it's all part of the filmmaking storytelling process. And I also know it's not because it bombed with a test audience.

On 1/5/2022 at 10:05 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Older reports of a test screening of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness bombing with a test audience and that being the reason for reshoots is complete and utter b****it. My proof? First, Marvel Studios doesn't do test screenings. Second, if that Grace Rudolph lady is pushing the story on her YouTube channel then you can bet it's dubious.

Firstly, I do wonder why her TouTube channel would be seen as dubious? Has she been found ot lie about stuff before?

And Marvel does do test screenings

https://www.slashfilm.com/549226/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-test-screening-score/

On 1/5/2022 at 10:52 AM, William-James88 said:

Firstly, I do wonder why her TouTube channel would be seen as dubious? Has she been found ot lie about stuff before?

And Marvel does do test screenings

https://www.slashfilm.com/549226/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-test-screening-score/

I guess Marvel Studios does do test screenings. But Grace Randolph has been called out by many directors like James Gunn and Cathy Yan (Birds of Prey) for spreading false news stories based on the slightest hearsay about their movies. 

Marvel Runs Into Copyright Issue, Forced to Change Villain Name

Now, however, fans have noticed something strange (no pun intended) about a recent merchandise leak. A new LEGO set for the Doctor Strange (2016) sequel seemingly features the Marvel Comics villain known as Shuma-Gorath.

However, in this case, the box art suggests that the tentacled creature will go by the name of Gargantos.

Marvel likely wants to avoid even the suggestion of a copyright battle with Conan creator Howard’s estate, as the works featuring the character and any adjacent characters are not yet in the public domain.

Robert E. Howard nor his estate ever trademarked the name "Shuma-Gorath".  Trademarks only last a decade anyway, but at no point did they ever do it even back when he was first created.  And that's not at all surprising because usually people only create trademarks for primary characters in a work of fiction, not supporting characters like this.  But even if he had trademarked the name renaming the character would avoid a trademark infringement but not a copyright infringement.  Here's what Shuma-Gorath looked like when Howard created him:

157099-137455-shuma-gorath.jpg

Just as all Marvel versions of Shuma-Gorath have to date this creature we're seeing in the trailers CLEARLY looks similar to Howard's character.  He's huge, he has a big eye in the center of his body, and he has tentacles radiating from around the eye.  Just as trial judges repeatedly did find Captain Marvel to be an illegal copy of Superman back in the 1940s and 1950s, it's also clear that Shuma-Gorath in every Marvel incarnation descends from Howard's version of the character.

So I don't get the speculation about a name change to avoid a trademark infringement that doesn't even exist when copyright infringement would still be a clear risk with or without the name change.  I'm guessing it's just misunderstanding about how trademarks, copyrights, and patents work.  (shrug)

Edited by fantastic_four

On 1/6/2022 at 9:19 AM, fantastic_four said:

Robert E. Howard nor his estate ever trademarked the name "Shuma-Gorath".  Trademarks only last a decade anyway, but at no point did they ever do it even back when he was first created.  And that's not at all surprising because usually people only create trademarks for primary characters in a work of fiction, not supporting characters like this.  But even if he had trademarked the name renaming the character would avoid a trademark infringement but not a copyright infringement.  Here's what Shuma-Gorath looked like when Howard created him:

157099-137455-shuma-gorath.jpg

Just as all Marvel versions of Shuma-Gorath have to date this creature we're seeing in the trailers CLEARLY looks similar to Howard's character.  He's huge, he has a big eye in the center of his body, and he has tentacles radiating from around the eye.  Just as trial judges repeatedly did find Captain Marvel to be an illegal copy of Superman back in the 1940s and 1950s, it's also clear that Shuma-Gorath in every Marvel incarnation descends from Howard's version of the character.

So I don't get the speculation about a name change to avoid a trademark infringement that doesn't even exist when copyright infringement would still be a clear risk with or without the name change.  I'm guessing it's just misunderstanding about how trademarks, copyrights, and patents work.  (shrug)

It may come down to Netflix owns the rights now since it is making an updated Conan production.

There was some chatter on social media about this recently amongst Robert E. Howard fans how real this may be.

Not sure how true this is.

That…was…amazing!!

Spoiler

I think we see the Illuminati with the chairs and Professor X/Patrick Stewart!!! Is this how they introduce the X-men, Fantastic  Four, Namor and Blackbolt to the universe? (No, Inhumans series didn’t happen)

Edited by AGGIEZ

On 2/13/2022 at 7:22 PM, AGGIEZ said:

That…was…amazing!!

Hide contents

I think we see the Illuminati with the chairs and Professor X/Patrick Stewart!!! Is this how they introduce the X-men, Fantastic  Four, Namor and Blackbolt to the universe? (No, Inhumans series didn’t happen)

I thought I heard Patrick Stewart from one of the chairs

:wishluck: