• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2022 at 8:17 AM, fantastic_four said:

I would normally expect The Batman to be better than Multiverse of Madness based solely upon the trailers, but I'm expecting this film to be better for one central reason--Sam Raimi directed two of the best Marvel movies ever. 

Spoiler

And he did everything within his power to fight the third Spidey from stinking despite Avi Arad mucking everything up, lost the fight, threw down an ultimatum to Arad to never do that to him again, Arad refused, so he walked away from the franchise along with Maguire and Dunst.  Yea, I'm sure most fans blame Raimi for Spidey 3 stinking, but it absolutely, positively, 100% was NOT him, because he explicitly and vociferously warned Arad not to include any of the stuff that stunk in that film, and Arad refused.  Much to Arad's own detriment, by the way, since Feige used that failure to get control of Marvel Studios, so in that sense Spidey 3 stinking was a MASSIVE boon to us all.  :cloud9:

In my eyes Raimi is still unblemished as a superior director of superhero films.  I don't expect everything to be a gem--even Nolan couldn't do that with Batman--but this one has MASSIVE potential to be a gem since Raimi's first love is horror, and this film looks to be a great mix of superhero action and horror.  I'm cautiously optimistic that this could be really, really great.  Definitely looks better than the first one, and Raimi makes me think this one will be better than what also looks to be a superior effort from Matt Reeves.  :popcorn:

I get your logic. But I am not even sure why anyone would compare The Batman to Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness. We are talking about two separate productions that have no link, and in the case of DS2 it has just a little tiny bit of franchise history to drive tremendous excitement. Including Sam Raimi's involvement. To include being the 28th film in a long-running and popular franchise that appears to be taking the same approach as Spider-Man: No Way Home in integrating popular Marvel franchises outside the MCU. Especially if we are talking about Ryan Reynold's Deadpool and Patrick Stewart's Charles Xavier.

MCU_Franchise.png.cead0864764517664c018ab198fa3df9.png

It's like the assumption The Batman trailers need to have the same click count as Spider-Man: No Way Home or it is a bust with no market reaction. The comparison doesn't even come together well. Know what I mean?

On 2/15/2022 at 8:52 AM, Bosco685 said:

But I am not even sure why anyone would compare The Batman to Doctor Strange: Multiverse of Madness.

Because they're the next two movies I want to see, and that's the only reason.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:05 AM, fantastic_four said:

Because they're the next two movies I want to see, and that's the only reason.

I totally agree with you how having Sam Raimi with a much stronger producer support team will make for a great film.

But even if parts of the film lag, all the fan excitement will ignore this to proclaim this is the greatest MCU film - ever. I loved Spider-Man: No Way Home and its incredible celebration of all things Spider-Man. But if you revisit that first hour of the film it was just more of the Spidey Home story, and not the amazing adventure that kicks in later on.

We could have the same situation with Doctor Strange 2. Which is why it had extensive reshoots. The rumor is actors that were finally agreed to later on. If that latter part is true, then this could be Patrick Stewart and others.

This seems really interesting except for the America Chavez character (*flinches due to thunder crack* don't let lord greylocks hear about this)...just reading about her origins/backstory and powers makes me so glad I stopped reading new Marvel stuff after Annihilation. .

I read the Wikipedia entry this morning and agree.  Maybe they'll retcon some of the more fantastical parts for the movies.

It's also going to be interesting to see if giving this kind of introduction to characters will work as well as doing individual "origin" movies.

On 2/15/2022 at 8:55 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would expect The Batman to earn about half of what MoM makes at the box office.

Unless we get a fresh take on Ralph Bohner or any former X-Men franchise characters handled the same way

Ralph-Bohner-Spinoff-1.thumb.jpg.b8774ca19618798e7754cc9cbafde1fb.jpg

Then I expect MCU hardliners to go multiple times to see this film.

:shiftyeyes:

Reasons why I would hate this movie:

- If there's a bunch of 5 seconds cameos of characters we love and they do nothing with them (i.e. seeing quick glimpses as they fall through various dimensions)

- The main movie villain is an alternate version of Doctor Strange (which unfortunately the MCU likes to do...i.e Black Panther vs Golden Jaguar)

- If the Illuminati is a group of "meh" characters (stick with the comic!)

- If they bring beloved characters back to life (like Robert Downey Jr.)...I would feel cheat like the "Death Of Superman"

- If it feels like a "half" movie and left hanging until wherever it picks up next (Antman???)

- If it turns out not to be Patrick Stewart (that is a deal breaker)

***If they don't do any of these things this movie will make 10 billion dollars lol

I would expect The Batman to earn about half of what MoM makes at the box office.

I would be surprised if that happens.

On 2/15/2022 at 4:38 PM, Larryw7 said:

Me too. I have 0 interest in the Doctor Strange movie. Evil Doctor Strange from an alternate universe? Wow, that's a cliché. It wasn't original when Star Trek did over 50 years ago.

As much as I love Patrick Stewart as Professor X, member berries won't get me in a movie theater again.

On 2/15/2022 at 8:17 AM, fantastic_four said:

I would normally expect The Batman to be better than Multiverse of Madness based solely upon the trailers, but I'm expecting this film to be better for one central reason--Sam Raimi directed two of the best Marvel movies ever.  And he did everything within his power to fight the third Spidey from stinking despite Avi Arad mucking everything up, lost the fight, threw down an ultimatum to Arad to never do that to him again, Arad refused, so he walked away from the franchise along with Maguire and Dunst.  Yea, I'm sure most fans blame Raimi for Spidey 3 stinking, but it absolutely, positively, 100% was NOT him, because he explicitly and vociferously warned Arad not to include any of the stuff that stunk in that film, and Arad refused.  Much to Arad's own detriment, by the way, since Feige used that failure to get control of Marvel Studios, so in that sense Spidey 3 stinking was a MASSIVE boon to us all.  :cloud9:

In my eyes Raimi is still unblemished as a superior director of superhero films.  I don't expect everything to be a gem--even Nolan couldn't do that with Batman--but this one has MASSIVE potential to be a gem since Raimi's first love is horror, and this film looks to be a great mix of superhero action and horror.  I'm cautiously optimistic that this could be really, really great.  Definitely looks better than the first one, and Raimi makes me think this one will be better than what also looks to be a superior effort from Matt Reeves.  :popcorn:

Fascinating back story, so how did Fergie gain control from  Avi Arad?  He was the toy biz guy right?

On 2/16/2022 at 9:38 AM, Larryw7 said:
On 2/16/2022 at 12:55 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It'll be interesting to see how it all goes.  I'm very interested in both movies, both look like they will be great viewing, but I suspect one won't be a multiple factor of the other.   Both have the same audiences by and large.

On 2/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, Mystafo said:

This seems really interesting except for the America Chavez character (*flinches due to thunder crack* don't let lord greylocks hear about this)...just reading about her origins/backstory and powers makes me so glad I stopped reading new Marvel stuff after Annihilation. .

Why, what is it you don't like about her?  I know nothing at all about her except she can somehow travel between universes in the multiverse, which makes it clear why she's in this film.

I have a feeling that you are going to be wrong about this.  Word around we non comic geeks is that the Batman movie looks really cool. 

On 2/15/2022 at 5:48 PM, Wolverinex said:

Fascinating back story, so how did Fergie gain control from  Avi Arad?  He was the toy biz guy right?

Yea, Avi Arad and Ike Perlmutter owned Toy Biz.  Perlmutter was Arad's boss at Marvel, and Arad ran Marvel Studios until 2006.  Feige didn't really politic Arad out of a job that I'm aware of; or maybe he did, who knows, probably only the two of them.  Arad stepped down as head of Marvel Studios while Spider-Man 3 was filming due to a fight over how to manage the films with his boss.  I've never heard the specifics of what Arad and Perlmutter's beef was, but Sam Raimi was complaining before Spider-Man 3 even started filming about Arad dictating major elements of the screenplay to him so I don't know for sure but have to assume that was involved in the dispute with Perlmutter.  If anyone has heard more specifics about Arad stepping down as head of Marvel Studios please do share.  He still continued to do work with Marvel and still does, he just stopped running the show in 2006.  By then Spidey 3 was already filming and Arad forcing Raimi to include Venom as a third villain in the film was set in stone.  Raimi wanted the film to focus on Sandman, but Arad wouldn't allow it.

Feige was selected by Perlmutter to effectively replace Arad after Arad stepped down.  Arad hired Feige because of his expertise with the Marvel Universe and produced all of the Sony and Fox films along with Arad, so it made complete sense for Perlmutter to elevate Feige.  After Disney bought Marvel Feige eventually got out from under Perlmutter thanks to Bob Iger forcing it to happen, but that was many years later.

Those are some of the broad strokes, and I expect there are a zillion more details.  Surely there's a book by now detailing the history of Marvel Studios--anybody seen a good one?

Edited by fantastic_four

On 2/15/2022 at 4:03 PM, fantastic_four said:
On 2/15/2022 at 7:58 AM, Mystafo said:

Why, what is it you don't like about her?  I know nothing at all about her except she can somehow travel between universes in the multiverse, which makes it clear why she's in this film.

On 2/15/2022 at 7:22 PM, fantastic_four said:

Yea, Avi Arad and Ike Perlmutter owned Toy Biz.  Perlmutter was Arad's boss at Marvel, and Arad ran Marvel Studios until 2006.  Feige didn't really politic Arad out of a job that I'm aware of; or maybe he did, who knows, probably only the two of them.  Arad stepped down as head of Marvel Studios while Spider-Man 3 was filming due to a fight over how to manage the films with his boss.  I've never heard the specifics of what Arad and Perlmutter's beef was, but Sam Raimi was complaining before Spider-Man 3 even started filming about Arad dictating major elements of the screenplay to him so I don't know for sure but have to assume that was involved in the dispute with Perlmutter.  If anyone has heard more specifics about Arad stepping down as head of Marvel Studios please do share.  He still continued to do work with Marvel and still does, he just stopped running the show in 2006.  By then Spidey 3 was already filming and Arad forcing Raimi to include Venom as a third villain in the film was set in stone.  Raimi wanted the film to focus on Sandman, but Arad wouldn't allow it.

Feige was selected by Perlmutter to effectively replace Arad after Arad stepped down.  Arad hired Feige because of his expertise with the Marvel Universe and produced all of the Sony and Fox films along with Arad, so it made complete sense for Perlmutter to elevate Feige.  After Disney bought Marvel Feige eventually got out from under Perlmutter thanks to Bob Iger forcing it to happen, but that was many years later.

Those are some of the broad strokes, and I expect there are a zillion more details.  Surely there's a book by now detailing the history of Marvel Studios--anybody seen a good one?

Fascinating.  How does fergie know so much about marvel?  Huge fan or did he work on any comics?

Just brought up Ike Perlmutter in another thread how he ordered Marvel to stop promoting materials that Marvel Studies did not own the live action movie rights to.  If Perlmutter remained in charge I don't think that the FF would even be around anymore except for guest stars in other people's comics.