• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2022 at 6:03 PM, fantastic_four said:

Why, what is it you don't like about her?  I know nothing at all about her except she can somehow travel between universes in the multiverse, which makes it clear why she's in this film.

Kick open star shaped portals? Dumb. Super strength, durability, flight? Very original. From a completely male free dimension? Too WW like. "Holy Menstruation!" (actual quote) Cringe inside out. Maybe some of this won't be touched on in the MCU but the source material is ridiculous.

Edited by Mystafo

On 2/15/2022 at 8:45 PM, Buzzetta said:

Just brought up Ike Perlmutter in another thread how he ordered Marvel to stop promoting materials that Marvel Studies did not own the live action movie rights to.  If Perlmutter remained in charge I don't think that the FF would even be around anymore except for guest stars in other people's comics. 

All of it was to freeze out Fox from getting promoted by Marvel's comics.  It worked, didn't it?  Fox sold their rights back to Marvel, and as soon as the deal was committed to by both sides he brought the FF back, Wolverine got resurrected, and they started making new mutant characters again.

Perlmutter is a mixed bag and I don't agree with everything he's done, but he's far from all bad.  While his Marvel Creative Committee wasn't ideal it was still better than what every studio before Feige and Marvel Studios were doing, and it was better than what Sony and DC have going.  And I'm not sure his freezing out the Fox properties wasn't instrumental in getting Fox to sell to Disney.  I also give him HUGE props for the Marvel action figures he headed up with Toy Biz.  They're still going strong today with Hasbro and were truly innovative in the toy industry.

I often wonder why Perlmutter froze out Fox but not Sony.  I really have no idea, but clearly he had some specific reason to think it would work with Fox but not Sony.  Maybe he somehow knew they were struggling and would eventually look to sell the film division.  (shrug)

Edited by fantastic_four

On 2/15/2022 at 7:53 PM, Wolverinex said:

Fascinating.  How does fergie know so much about marvel?  Huge fan or did he work on any comics?

Huge fan.  I'm pretty sure he's never done any creative work professionally aside from film production.  He strikes me as a huge dork like most of us are, too.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 2/15/2022 at 5:59 PM, Mystafo said:

Lol I hadn't seen that yet...cripes.

incredible.
even more incredible, marvel is really pushing that stupid character.  the diversity card.

On 2/15/2022 at 8:05 PM, kav said:

incredible.
even more incredible, marvel is really pushing that stupid character.  the diversity card.

More like cards against humanity..:facepalm:

On 2/15/2022 at 9:04 PM, fantastic_four said:

All of it was to freeze out Fox from getting promoted by Marvel's comics.  It worked, didn't it?  Fox sold their rights back to Marvel, and as soon as the deal was committed to by both sides he brought the FF back, Wolverine got resurrected, and they started making new mutant characters again.

Perlmutter is a mixed bag and I don't agree with everything he's done, but he's far from all bad.  While his Marvel Creative Committee wasn't ideal it was still better than what every studio before Feige and Marvel Studios were doing, and it was better than what Sony and DC have going.  And I'm not sure his freezing out the Fox properties wasn't instrumental in getting Fox to sell to Disney.

To a point I agree, but I cannot place the viability of the entirety of the Fox properties on the backs of the success or failure of the FF and X-Men related films.    The last FF film had received plenty of merchandising support and it was deemed a failure.  The X-Men were permitted some degree of promotion due their history of success but the last few films were pretty weak.  Their weakness was not a result of character support.   Days of Future Past was strong but a weak movie is a weak movie and that is where Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix?  I don't think the Disney Merger could have helped if even if they had enough time. 

But the Fox catalog had a lot going for it from Aliens, Predator, Night at the Museum, Planet of the Apes, the Simpsons and the list goes on.  Fox had (on paper) a strong lineup of film franchises that if they had a stronger vision as to what to do with those film franchises, they could have kept their Marvel Superhero rights in perpetuity so long as they released some type of movie every so often regardless of quality. 

Perlmutter's action were definitely effective, but I don't think that it had a great impact on Fox selling off their live action properties to Disney. 

On 2/15/2022 at 9:07 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

heh

Fun moment.  Big family dinner at my parents.  It was Christmas or Easter... I forget.  

My cousins, my Aunt, my brother, and myself played cards against humanity on one side of the dinner table, while the rest of the family looked at us with open mouths.

Good times... lol 

On 2/15/2022 at 8:21 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 2/15/2022 at 8:07 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

heh

Fun moment.  Big family dinner at my parents.  It was Christmas or Easter... I forget.  

My cousins, my Aunt, my brother, and myself played cards against humanity on one side of the dinner table, while the rest of the family looked at us with open mouths.

Good times... lol 

Glad I am not the only one that has had times like these with those. :roflmao:

On 2/15/2022 at 9:24 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Never Have I Ever...

lol very revealing... 

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Have-Ever-Decisions-Friends/dp/B00N36C6BE?th=1

image.thumb.png.197727218c07f8220a130b0f64b5f75e.png

Edited by Buzzetta

On 2/15/2022 at 8:26 PM, Buzzetta said:

Maybe.. depending on who all you are playing with. Half of my family either didn't do much or they lie too much. 

They all get kicks out of my answers though.. 

All of it was to freeze out Fox from getting promoted by Marvel's comics.  It worked, didn't it? 

Spoiler

Fox sold their rights back to Marvel, and as soon as the deal was committed to by both sides he brought the FF back, Wolverine got resurrected, and they started making new mutant characters again.

Perlmutter is a mixed bag and I don't agree with everything he's done, but he's far from all bad.  While his Marvel Creative Committee wasn't ideal it was still better than what every studio before Feige and Marvel Studios were doing, and it was better than what Sony and DC have going.  And I'm not sure his freezing out the Fox properties wasn't instrumental in getting Fox to sell to Disney.  I also give him HUGE props for the Marvel action figures he headed up with Toy Biz.  They're still going strong today with Hasbro and were truly innovative in the toy industry.

I often wonder why Perlmutter froze out Fox but not Sony.  I really have no idea, but clearly he had some specific reason to think it would work with Fox but not Sony.  Maybe he somehow knew they were struggling and would eventually look to sell the film division.

(shrug)

You really don't think Disney spent $71.3 billion for the Marvel rights and the Murdoch's gave in because Marvel Comics stopped publishing Fantastic Four and X-Men comics, right? You've teasing us, right?

On 2/16/2022 at 1:24 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 2/16/2022 at 1:21 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 2/16/2022 at 1:07 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

heh

Good times... lol 

Expand  

As a poor reflection on my character, I've never lost a game :devil:

Edited by Microchip

I often wonder why Perlmutter froze out Fox but not Sony. 

FF may be Marvel's First Family but Spider-Man is a whole other level...you do not cut off your nose to spite your face.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:19 PM, Buzzetta said:

Perlmutter's action were definitely effective, but I don't think that it had a great impact on Fox selling off their live action properties to Disney. 

Yea I agree.  Cancelling FF--and PARTICULARLY killing off Wolverine--seemed like cutting off your nose to spite your face and a drop in the bucket for what it would take for Fox to no longer look at X-Men as profitable.  But at the time Perlmutter did it he was no longer in charge of Marvel Studios, so he HAD to have had cooperation or possibly even a directive from above to do it for the good of Feige's Marvel Studios.  It seems likely Iger had to at minimum sign off on it.

I'm also guessing the freeze-out of Fox extended to toys since both Toy Biz and Hasbro were making movie X-Men action figures before that time period Wolverine was dead in the comics, but we didn't see new ones until after Disney had acquired Fox.  There was also never a toy freeze-out with any Sony Spider-Man movies, so whatever it was clearly was pointed specifically at Fox.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:58 PM, Bird said:

FF may be Marvel's First Family but Spider-Man is a whole other level...you do not cut off your nose to spite your face.

Heh, we used the same metaphor several minutes apart.  Isn't killing Wolverine cutting off your nose to spite your face?  I didn't get it at the time nor do I get it now, but hey, they got Fox, so maybe it did have an effect.