• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On the other hand, as it seems like Doc Strange and the Madness Multiverse is an important movie in the MCU, possibly a cornerstone film for the future. Maybe Kevin Feige wants a better director who can bring a little innovation to the mix?

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

On the other hand, as it seems like Doc Strange and the Madness Multiverse is an important movie in the MCU, possibly a cornerstone film for the future. Maybe Kevin Feige wants a better director who can bring a little innovation to the mix?

the 1st dr strange was pretty different from the other MCU films with the crazy building folding special effects. It seems like he had a strong vision that served them well in that film. I may be partial to it as my 16 yr old daughter loves it and watches it a lot.

I see it like the ant-man movie; I would have preferred to see what Edgar Wright had in mind even though the movie we eventually got was fine.

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

the 1st dr strange was pretty different from the other MCU films with the crazy building folding special effects. It seems like he had a strong vision that served them well in that film. I may be partial to it as my 16 yr old daughter loves it and watches it a lot.

I see it like the ant-man movie; I would have preferred to see what Edgar Wright had in mind even though the movie we eventually got was fine.

Blindly proclaiming Feige needed a better director ignores how solid the first film was as a story, visual wonder and tease of more sub-franchise goodies to come. I went to see this in 3-D with the family, which was well worth the expense.

8 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Blindly proclaiming Feige needed a better director ignores how solid the first film was as a story, visual wonder and tease of more sub-franchise goodies to come. I went to see this in 3-D with the family, which was well worth the expense.

I did like Dr Strange. I too saw it in 3D and it was a great time at the theater and thought it a solid film for the MCU. However, for the most part, I thought it was kind of an "even" movie, tonally. Like, for a movie about Dr Strange, maybe the movie could have been a little "crazier."

Some things bothered me about the movie. For instance, I thought Stephen Strange's "conversion" moment came a bit too easy, just minutes after arriving at Kamar Taj. I agree with Mordo that there were too many sorcerers. It felt like Hogwarts sometimes with all these wizardlings running around. My favorite scene was the death of Ancient One. A touching moment as she imparts one last lesson to Strange. His "great responsibility" moment.

I thought Dr Strange was fine. I think I'm with a majority of MCU fans, though, in thinking the movie didn't necessarily blow our minds. And it wasn't until Infinity War that Strange became kind of a fan favorite.

Maybe with the Multiverse of Madness, Feige wants to blow our minds. For that, you might need a new director. Just a thought.

53 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I did like Dr Strange. I too saw it in 3D and it was a great time at the theater and thought it a solid film for the MCU. However, for the most part, I thought it was kind of an "even" movie, tonally. Like, for a movie about Dr Strange, maybe the movie could have been a little "crazier."

Some things bothered me about the movie. For instance, I thought Stephen Strange's "conversion" moment came a bit too easy, just minutes after arriving at Kamar Taj. I agree with Mordo that there were too many sorcerers. It felt like Hogwarts sometimes with all these wizardlings running around. My favorite scene was the death of Ancient One. A touching moment as she imparts one last lesson to Strange. His "great responsibility" moment.

I thought Dr Strange was fine. I think I'm with a majority of MCU fans, though, in thinking the movie didn't necessarily blow our minds. And it wasn't until Infinity War that Strange became kind of a fan favorite.

Maybe with the Multiverse of Madness, Feige wants to blow our minds. For that, you might need a new director. Just a thought.

Just a thought.

Since in the MCU part of the movie magic is Kevin Feige controls the overall story, connectivity across the films, director selection, film casting and atmosphere - not the directors - you didn't care for parts of his decisions. So when Scott Derrickson came back to the table assuming now as a sequel he had more creative control ('this will be the MCU's first horror film') and at a separate event Feige countered this thinking ('Doctor Strange won't be horror influenced'), your concern is still with Feige keeping it the same. Just a thought.

Generally, I thought Dr Strange was ever so slightly bland. Not sure whose fault that would be whether the director, the Creative Committee, Feige, who knows. And maybe the Studio thinks "pure horror" is not the right tone for the movie, especially with Blade on the horizon. I have a feeling it will be more of a cross-over movie.

I think most folks though don't really care who directs Dr Strange. Derrickson isn't like the Russos or James Gunn or Taika Waititi with some kind of indelible stamp on the franchise.  I think Strange will be fine. Maybe better.

15 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Generally, I thought Dr Strange was ever so slightly bland. Not sure whose fault that would be whether the director, the Creative Committee, Feige, who knows. And maybe the Studio thinks "pure horror" is not the right tone for the movie, especially with Blade on the horizon. I have a feeling it will be more of a cross-over movie.

I think most folks though don't really care who directs Dr Strange. Derrickson isn't like the Russos or James Gunn or Taika Waititi with some kind of indelible stamp on the franchise.  I think Strange will be fine. Maybe better.

Elizabeth Olsen Would “Absolutely” Do Another Horror Movie

Elizabeth Olsen, who headlined horror Silent House before joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Scarlet Witch, would “absolutely” do another horror film.

“So I did a horror movie once, and it was called Silent House, and it looks like it’s one continuous shot. So every day we focused on one chunk of ten or twelve minutes, and it was like my third film ever, and it was the most exhausting job in the entire world,” Olsen said at Dortmund’s German Comic Con. “It was just like nonstop tears, and snot, and screaming, and silent screaming, and I got so many bruises over my body. Horror films are no joke.”

Returning Doctor Strange director Scott Derrickson — whose filmography includes horror films The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Sinister and Deliver Us from Evil — said when announcing Multiverse of Madness at San Diego Comic-Con his sequel will be the “first scary MCU film.”

“When I came and talked to [Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige] about doing a sequel, I said I don’t want to do just another sequel to do a sequel,” Derrickson said during Marvel’s Phase 4 unveiling from Hall H. “If I’m gonna do it, it has to go into the territory that drew me into the Doctor Strange comics in the first place, which is how they dipped into the gothic and the horror and the horrific, and we’re gonna make the first scary MCU film.”

And then...

Kevin Feige Clarifies Doctor Strange Sequel Has “Scary” Sequences but Isn't a Horror Movie

Marvel Studios president and producer Kevin Feige clears up misconceptions Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is a horror film after returning Doctor Strange director Scott Derrickson described the sequel as “the first scary [Marvel Cinematic Universe] film.” Officially announced at San Diego Comic-Con over the summer as part of Marvel’s Phase 4 film slate, Multiverse of Madness is inspired by the Marvel Comics that “dipped into the gothic and the horror and the horrific,” Derrickson said in July, and Feige notes Multiverse of Madness will feature “scary sequences” similar to films directed or produced by Steven Spielberg:

“Multiverse of Madness is the greatest title we’ve ever come up with, by the way, which is one thing that’s exciting about it,” Feige said when appearing as guest speaker at the New York Film Academy. “I wouldn’t necessarily say that’s a horror film, but … it’ll be a big MCU film with scary sequences in it.”

Sounds like before Multiverse of Madness was announced, the producer and director should have been clear what this film theme was going to lead to as a production atmosphere. The producer in selecting his director and casting owns this. It sounds like when Feige agreed to Derrickson coming back for the sequel, they agreed to a direction initially.

10 Directors Who Could Take Over Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

So we broke down a list of directors who might actually be able to do it, in terms of willingness, timing, and a compatible skillset. Any one of these could make a pretty exciting version of the film, so buckle in and check them out. 

RACHEL TALALAY

She directed the 1995 comic book adaptation Tank Girl, which was a critical flop at the time but has turned into a cult favorite. It embraced the comics in an over-the-top way that would feel at home in the world of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, and even though it did not connect with audiences the way Spider-Verse did, it still is a weird little movie full of bold visuals and solid performances.

In recent years, Talalay has directed numerous episodes of The CW's Arrowverse shows, Doctor Who, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and an episode of Doom Patrol, maybe TV's closest analog to the kind of world that Derrickson made with the first Doctor Strange.

JAKE KASDAN

Like many of Marvel's filmmakers, Kasdan is not a name that is immediately familiar as a blockbuster filmmaker. He spent much of his career making low-budget dramedies like Zero Effect and The TV Set before transitioning to straight-up comedies like Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. But in the last few years, Kasdan has followed in his father Lawrence Kasdan's footsteps, and taken on some big blockbusters in the form of two Jumanji movies in a row.

Kasdan has a firm understanding of character and a sense of humor that would both be welcome at Marvel and both the imagination and experience with big visual effects films that would allow him to exist in, and expand, the world of Doctor Strange.

SAM RAIMI

It's been a while since Sam Raimi helmed a superhero movie, and if you were going to give him a crack at the Marvel Cinematic Universe, what better choice than Doctor Strange? Then the creator of The Evil Dead could use his horror chops and the director of Spider-Man could say that he had worked on both of Steve Ditko's biggest Marvel properties!

NICOLE KASSELL

Kassell might not be a household name, but some of her work is certainly catching the attention of critics and studios. In addition to directing the first two episodes of HBO's Watchmen last year, she also helmed the penultimate episode, "Man Walks Into Abar," which you could make a legitimate argument was the best TV episode of 2019.

Marvel has hired from the prestige TV pool before, and so it would not be entirely surprising to see them make a move for Kassell, especially since Watchmen doesn't currently have a second season planned, so she may have a few openings in her schedule.

Interesting suggestions.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Sounds like before Multiverse of Madness was announced, the producer and director should have been clear what this film theme was going to lead to as a production atmosphere. The producer in selecting his director and casting owns this. It sounds like when Feige agreed to Derrickson coming back for the sequel, they agreed to a direction initially.

Marvel Studios has mastered the filmmaking art of making things up throughout the production process. Feige equates it to building the airplane as it’s going down the runway, made possible by a good team.

At 7:00 mark, he discusses this “ improvisational “ way of working.l

This isn’t what they teach you in film school, but it seems to have worked for Marvel, though I’m sure this method varies from Movie to movie.

Point is, I think the Dr Strange sequel will be just fine. Maybe the person directing WandaVision can take over as that series allegedly ties directly into this movie.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Marvel Studios has mastered the filmmaking art of making things up throughout the production process. Feige equates it to building the airplane as it’s going down the runway, made possible by a good team.

At 7:00 mark, he discusses this “ improvisational “ way of working.l

This isn’t what they teach you in film school, but it seems to have worked for Marvel, though I’m sure this method varies from Movie to movie.

Point is, I think the Dr Strange sequel will be just fine. Maybe the person directing WandaVision can take over as that series allegedly ties directly into this movie.

There's being biased and close-minded to reality, then there is just pure fanaticism. 

At this point in the MCU's extremely mature process, there should never have been this big a disconnect between the producer and his director to the point they part of creative differences. Say what you want, but this was another Edgar Wright situation without the MCC involvement. That is not good.

Hard to know how "not good" this is until a new director is named and the movie comes out. 

But I do agree that there could be damage in terms of Marvel getting great directors to sign on to future projects if they feel they won't have a chance to put their stamp on a project.  Marvel certainly survived both the Wright and the Jenkins situations, but their overall pattern persists -- directors will need to follow Feige's marching orders as curator of the MCU.

Am I willing to give Feige the benefit of the doubt?  Sure.  I hope the movie is awesome.  But I agree that this could and should have been worked out clearly before Comic-Con, as it suggests a lack of vision that Marvel has otherwise been known for.

26 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Hard to know how "not good" this is until a new director is named and the movie comes out. 

But I do agree that there could be damage in terms of Marvel getting great directors to sign on to future projects if they feel they won't have a chance to put their stamp on a project.  Marvel certainly survived both the Wright and the Jenkins situations, but their overall pattern persists -- directors will need to follow Feige's marching orders as curator of the MCU.

Am I willing to give Feige the benefit of the doubt?  Sure.  I hope the movie is awesome.  But I agree that this could and should have been worked out clearly before Comic-Con, as it suggests a lack of vision that Marvel has otherwise been known for.

I don't think there's a fear of that. Folks like Ryan Coogler, James Gunn, or Taika Waititi have been able to put their stamp on their Marvel films. Recently, Chloe Zao seems to have had no trouble getting her vision through in Eternals. Dr Strange wasn't the greatest of MCU films and Scott Derrickson had made mostly B level horror movies and a few forgettable movies before that. He won't be missed. Just keep the machine running.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Also, why should this sudden and cataclysmic earth shaking parting of ways be all on Marvel? Maybe Scott Derrickson suddenly turned into some auteur from hell and wanted his way or the highway? Maybe he did want to do some crazy rated R gorefest  movie which, again, would be wrong for the Doctor.

8 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Also, why should this sudden and cataclysmic earth shaking parting of ways be all on Marvel? Maybe Scott Derrickson suddenly turned into some auteur from hell and wanted his way or the highway? Maybe he did want to do some crazy rated R gorefest  movie which, again, would be wrong for the Doctor.

:popcorn:

Waiting for more fanboy 'filling in the blanks' theories.

Meanwhile...

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:popcorn:

Waiting for more fanboy 'filling in the blanks' theories.

Meanwhile...

It sounds like Derrickson had something smaller scale in mind, as gothic and horror usually work best on a small scale, whereas Feige probably wants Strange 2 to work on a larger scale as it would involve the multiverse. And again, wouldn't Blade cover Marvel's gothic and horror itch and maybe even be R rated?